1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Afternoon Snacks

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by MeenLoch, Oct 10, 2007.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Krishnamma,
    Flaxseeds are "yellu"..Very good sources of Omega 3 fatty acids... Diabetic fighter, Stress Reliever etc...I got a flaxseed powder packet a week back to mix in my cereals and milk... In India, you get yellu urundais..Tooo good..They have vellam ( Jaggery) too, so good sources of iron, of course too much may interfere with our periods..For men flaxseed is very good...
    Yet to ty out ur recipes....Slowly switching to healthy eating...I shall definitely post them..
    Lots of recommendations an suggestions..Have to sit and catch up with ones suitable for me. As I thought, this afternoon snacking is a problem with so many of us...
    I come across many sensible articles on eating patterns, not the complex, micromanagement ones, but simple and easy tips...I shall post them in this thread here on..

Love,
    Vidya alias Meen ( Meen is my nick, my husband and mother call me so...Also my sunsign is Pisces..Funny connections, I know)

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Krishnamma and Meen( Vidya),

Flax seeds are called Alividai in tamil ( this I got from googling). Yellu is Sesame seeds. Not to confuse the two. Til is a good source for Iron and calcium.

Hope this helps.

Vandhana

3. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Sorry for the wrong information and thanks for the correction Vandhana...They resemble til...but are different...

4. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi vidya(meen),

First i confuced after seeing your mail. :confused: Then Vandhana cleared the doubt.

Hi Vandhana,

Thank you very much for clearing my doubt.:-D

5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Hello Ladies
    This thread has been going well. Cannot believe the info i have missed. so is anyone using flaxseed in any form/recipe etc. ? if you dont mind, please tell how. thanks so much.

6. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

7. maya08

maya08 Senior IL'ite

WOW!!!

i must say that, i thought was one of the few who battle against afternoon snacks.looks like many of us actually share this problem. thanks for starting this topic vidya ji.
    with all these recipes and methods, i'm sure they can help beat my cravings. but over the time i had realised this as well.

dont force yourself to stop your cravings, because they can get worse. moreover, i tell this to myself :

do not regret your decisions because wasnt what you wanted EXACTLY at that moment?

so have no regrets, but then again i would advise that we should not go overboard when we snack:exactly: .

cheers ladies
    :thankyou2:

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Sure Shoba, I will try and let you know because I am having the coffee grinder to powder dry things. As Vandhana has pointed out, we can sieve those powders and get fine one
    Thanks Vandhana for the explanation for the 'flax seeds'.

Krishnamma, I am going to try it and give you a FB once I get all the ingredients I have at home. We had to go to the Indian store this week.

Sriniketan

9. bipasha

bipasha Senior IL'ite

Hi....
    This is a quite interesting topic......was going thru all the posts...just thought would write down wht I have usually when I feel hungry.....
    Two pieces of brown bread(wheat bread)
    1 tomato-4-5 slices
    1/2 cucumber-4-5 slices.
    a leaf of lettuce
    put these between the bread slices...put some salt and pepper powder.......
    Thts it....you get loads of vitamin and zero fat.... its filling too....
    If u want you can add onion and cabbage also....

Hope u 'll like it

10. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Krishnaamma, Sriniketan, Vandhana - tried the raagi kanji over the weekend. Perfect drink in the morning - had it this morning before coming to work. I tried it in the MW - I prefer to do it in the stove top. I was worried it was going to flow over in the MW! Did not take much time on stove top. I powdered some cardamom and added it to the roasted raagi powder. Now I need to add the barley and the almonds like Vandhana mentioned and I am set!! Thanks to all of you. I have the Preeti mixie from India - which is pretty powerful - so I am going to see if I can follow Krishnaamma's recipe for the kanji powder - next goal.

another idea for afternoon snack that I have is - take 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese and add to it the Dole fruitcup - actually Walmart has their brand that is made with splenda (only 43 calories). Mix it up and enjoy - it is really satisfying!!