1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Afternoon Snacks

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by MeenLoch, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shoba,
    You can make kanji in the MW itself. Take 1 spoon of the raagi powder and heat it in the mw bowl for 30 sec. now add 2 cups of water to it, mix well and keep it in the mw for 1 min. mix it the keep for another 30 sec., mix it to prevent any lumps from forming. keep for another 15 sec and see whether it has been done, if not , mix it and keep for another 15 sec.
    add milk, sugar or splenda, even a little bit of honey added to it gives a nice taste.
    Now it will be ready for 2 people to have one cup of raagi kanji.

P.S.---See to it that it does not boil over the bowl, if you suspect it open and mix it and then proceed.
    thanks Krishnamma for the recipe, i am going to do it hereafter.

sriniketan

2. ChandraGovindarajan

ChandraGovindarajan New IL'ite

Hi Every one,

Masala puffed rice is a good snack. To be prepared with garlic, curry leaves, red chillies, roasted peanuts, fried gram dhal , turmeric, garam masala powder and salt. This can be stored for along time . Eat it for time pass too. If preferred, it can be had with raw onions ...

Chandra Govindarajan

Ideas pouring !!! S
    hobana - I visit gym everyday..But my rate of consumption is high..So net weight lost by gymming reduces. It just helps to maintain or put few kilos, instead of becoming fat faster...300 cals on elliptical trainer is what I do.

Vandhana,looks like you are totally into healthy eating..Great going..Inspiring me you know ! I have to find the crackers u say. What breakfast do you have, you say it's filling right ?
    I am a big carrot lover. Also I am working on having multiple salads and soups in my everyday food. I tried celery sticks., but don't like their smell or taste..In soups I prefer them. Popcorn cakes ? What are these ?
    I am planning to get some Energy bars for snacking. Any suggestions for brands ladies ?
    Guess what, I am bookmarking this page :-D[/quote]

3. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sriniketan - one spoon of raagi is enough for two cups? That is great! If you are going to try Krishnaamma's recipe here in the US, let me know it comes out - wonder if grinding in the mixie will be enough? If it works for you, I want to try it as well.

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Shoba,

Ya the recipe for Sathu maavu is the same as what krishnaamma provided. I add 1/2 cup almonds and 1 cup dry roasted barley also to the mix. You can grind in the mixie ( the indian one). I have a sumeet, and it comes out quite fine. After Seiving its smooth as silk. I think so also a food processor should work.

One teaspoon is good enough for 2 cups( slightly thin ) or 1 cup ( thick kanji).

Hope this helps. For the time being with just the plain ragi flour, you can dry raost till nice aroma comes, and make kanji as Sri mentioned adding some elaichi for flavour.

For the mor kuzhu: Just mix 2 tsps of the flour in 2 cups water, and them add salt. Boil the mix till it thickens , stirring constantly to avoid lumps. After it cools, I add, finely chopped onions ( optional), corainder, raw mango pieces, vadu manga water, and ofcourse butter milk.

Vandhana

5. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Vandhana for the tips. I will try with the raagi flour and then I will venture into adding the other items -can you buy barley at Whole Foods market or similar places? The mor kuzhu - I have never heard of it (where have I been??:bang ) So is it waterly like sambhar after you add buttermilk? And how do you serve it? By itself or with rice??

6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Shoba,

Barley you can get in the local grocery store also. Its usually in the aisle with all the beans and stuff. Called Pearl barley. Whole food stores will definitely have it.

As for mor Kuzhu, its meant to be had by itself, with the accompaniments i mentioned and also we used to have it with left over sambhar, and other kuzhambus. No rice needed. it is a salty porridge. And very filling.
    This is also the same kuzhu that is given in temples during Aadi month( of course, there is none of the onions or mangoes etc... in it).

Vandhana

7. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shobana,

As per Vandana you can try with mixer grinder or food processer. Surely you all will enjoy the 'kanji'. It is full of energy. After trying give me a feed back.:-D

8. krishnaamma

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  9. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Meena,

Please do not go anywhere near ennergy bars. I would not touch them with a flag pole. You will find that most of them have some cornsyrup and fructose and make it high in sugar. They are for people who do endurance training. Most bars provide about 200 cals and then check the amount of fat cals and sugars. I do stock them at home. It comes in handy when hubby is playing golf. But i find that if i eat one, then i reach for another and then that becomes a high cal snack.
    Make your own trail mix at home: just toss in a cup each of dried apricots, raisins, cranberries, papaya, mango, pineapple, toasted flax seeds, toasted sunflower seeds, toasted almonds, and toasted peanuts. Mix everything thoroughly. Then have a 1/3 cup as a serving snack. very filling and healthy. And yes high energy too.

The popcorn cakes is i think Quaker and Orville Redenbacher. You should find them in the snack aisle. They have a good number of flavours, but i stay away from the caramel ones to avoid extra sugar.

Good luck with healthy snacking all.

Vandhana

10. krishnaamma

Hi Vandhana,

What is 'flax seeds'? and what is its Tamil name?