1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Afternoon Snacks

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by MeenLoch, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Meena for starting this thread. I also have the same problem during the afternoon and even in the morning sometimes.
    As you had said I am also going to bookmark this page.
    I thought my problem was due to the PMS. But after reading this, I am convinced it is not!
    When I first came over to US, I was also tempted to buy things. But there was a 'breaker' in the house.I don't want to mention who that was.( it is upto to your imagination) I think that was also for my own good, otherwise, I would be a out-of proportion person!
    I was not able to eat whatever I want. Even during pregnancy. It went on like that till my children grew up and after they bought those things from the store, I also used to gobble them up only after giving their due share!
    But in spite of that i used to be 'skeleton' in my bil's words. So it tempted me to eat more junk foods.
    Now I am not a 'skeleton' but my children wants me to cut on my tummy.
    The snacks listed in this thread is indeed very useful and I thank all those individually, who contributed solution to this problem and I am going to try one by one.

I think this can be applied for the kids also which will make them cut back the junk food and eat a healthy snack and be healthy!

Sriniketan

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Thank you ladies so much useful info here. since i am overweight i can very well use these tips.

3. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Meen,

I am also like you only.:-D I use to sit before comp. and browse. down load some pictures and see. Have air poped popcorn or you can fry of your own. But dont get the butter or cream ones.:shock: You prepare popcorn by your own. That will help you it will fill and at the same time less calories. Try this.
    And you told about one site where we can register our intake caloreis. Can you please give me the site address?

waiting for your reply.

4. Neesha

Neesha Senior IL'ite

Hi MeenaLoch

My 10o'clock snack is sandwich with cheese or soya polony, lettuce and tomato and a cup of tea. Just slowly cut down on the sugar in your tea. At 3 o'clock it is yoghurt and a fruit or 2. The water is important - it kick starts your metabolism for your body to start breaking down the food and fat. Sugar and fried foods are not good. Have a digital scale, weigh yourself and set a target weight. Keep a list of what you ate each week. Weigh yourself each week. You will learn what foods work for you and which don't. For this program we pay each month but thats basically it.
    Yesterday I lost 200g for the week I know it doesn't sound like much but when our weight has "sat" the same for years, 200g means something is happening to the body at last.

5. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

6. krishnaamma

Hi Meen,

Thank you for the link. You can visit my index, and you will get many recipes there. Not only for afternoon snacks many more.ere I am giving the link, you just click on that and go to that Forum. But dont forgot to give me a feed back. I love feed backs.

Sticky: Krishnamma's Recipes, Kitchen Tips & Ingredients - Index! ([​IMG] 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

7. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Meena,

Well for breakfast , depending on the time i have the following:

During summer:
    1. Ragi mor kuzhu ( porridge). One big glass is enough to keep you going till lunch
    2. Regular rolled oats ( the old fashioned ones tha takes a while to cook): this with butter milk.
    3. Fresh Fruit smoothies made with yogurt.
    4.Post Shredded wheat cereal with milk .

during winter:

1. Oats made with milk
    2. Shredded wheat cereal
    3. Cottage cheese with mixed fruits.
    4. SathuMaavu kanji.

I alway sweeten my oats, kanji etc with Splenda.

Occasional indulgence in our good old idli, dosai and stuff.

Vandhana

8. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Vandhana - do you have a recipe to make porridge from raagi? I recently got the raagi maavu from the India store here - until now, I have not seen that in the Indian store. When we were growing up my mom used to make kanji out of all different pulses - she would dry it and powder it along with some cardamom (for flavor) and make it with milk - and that is all I would drink for breakfast - very filling. Do you just cook it in milk and add sugar/splenda? Can we add anything else to it?

I made the fruit smoothies out of the frozen (unsweetened) fruits with soy milk - tastes great. Sometimes I add protein powder to it as well.

9. krishnaamma

Sathu Mavu/ Kanji powder

Hi Shobana,

My mother used to prepare this 'kanji' mavu for us, when we were in school days. I am giving that recipe here. But I want to know, that this is the one which you want to know.:-D

Ingredients:

1 cup Punjab Wheat
    1 cup Boiled rice (pulungal rice)
    1 cup Moong dal (Yellow)
    1 cup Ground nut
    1 cup Ragi
    1 cup Precessed Chenna dal (puttu kadalai)
    5 - 6 cardamom optional

Method:

Fry till you get good aroma from that.
    Remove and cool it to the room temp.
    Now put all in a big vessel and make powder it, by giving it to a flour mill.
    In mixie you can not get that much soft powder.
    Whenever you want to make 'kanji' take one tablespoon of this 'kanji podi' andmix it with normal water.
    Keep it on the stove and stir it continuously till it cooked.
    Remove from the fire.
    You can add sugar and milk with this and drink.
    If you are not adding cardamom while powdering, you can add salt and buttermilk and drink.
    For evening or mid day snack, you can take one or two table spoon of this powder / 'sathu maa' in a cup and add sugar or jaggery.
    Mix it well with one spoon of ghee and cardamom powder. It will taste grate.
    You can give kanji for children by preparing it some what 'thin' and for elders thick.'
    You can carry this 'sathu mavu' while you travel and this will become very handy snack.
    Try and give me a feed back.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  10. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Re: Sathu Mavu/ Kanji powder

HI Krishnaamma - that recipe sounds very much like what my mother used to make - but my problem is getting it powdered - dont have access to a flour mill her like in India:-( - so that is why I was wondering if I can use the raagi powder and add something else to make the kanji?? Thanks for giving me the recipe:)