1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Afternoon Nap Vs Night Sleep

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by Eljaype, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

There is always a question "however late I sleep in the night Can't I make it out with Afternoon nap?"

"No, you cannot" is the answer. If you miss out half to one hour in the night once in a while and sleep off for half an hour in the afternoon, it is OK, but to do this regularly is very bad for health.

Nowadays it is a style to sleep late in the night around 2 and 3am , then try to sleep in the afternoon or sleep late in to the day. Our body will never get accustomed to that. You'll be losing out on your health.

My kids are doing that and I am not able to convince them. Actually they know it is wrong but their job is like that. Son is a software Engg and he has to work out late and my daughter has to finish her household work before she goes to the office the next day. so both of them sleep late in the weekends , sometimes will not get up till 12 noon.

There should be many like my children out there. I am trying my best to tell them to change their style of living.Our body has a set job to do in the night time. It is revival period. I got a forward from my Uncle which I am reproducing here in a part.

Because :

Evening at 9 - 11 PM : is the time for eliminating unnecessary/ toxic chemicals
    (detoxification) from the antibody system (lymph nodes).
    This time duration should be spent by relaxing or listening to music. If during this time a housewife is still in an unrelaxed state such as washing the dishes or monitoring children doing their
    homework, this will have a negative impact on health.

Evening at 11pm - 1 am :
    is the detoxification process in the liver, and ideally should be done in a deep sleep state.

Early morning 1 - 3 am :
    detoxification process in the gall, also ideally done in a deep sleep state.

Early morning 3 - 5 am :

detoxification in the lungs. Therefore there will sometimes be
    a severe cough for cough sufferers during this time. Since the detoxification process
    had reached the respiratory tract, there is no need to take cough medicine so as not to interfere with toxin removal process.

Morning 5 - 7am :

detoxification in the colon,
    you should empty your bowel.

Morning 7 - 9 am :
    absorption of nutrients in the small intestine, you should be having breakfast at this time. Breakfast should be earlier, before 6:30 am , for those who are
    sick. Breakfast before 7:30 am is very beneficial to those wanting to stay fit. Those who always skip breakfast, they should change their habits,
    and it is still better to
    eat breakfast late until 9 - 10 am rather than no meal at all.

Sleeping so late and waking up too late will disrupt the process of removing unnecessary chemicals. Aside from that, midnight to
    4:00 am is the time when the bone marrow
    produces blood. Therefore, have a good sleep and don't sleep late.

Please try to change your life style without hurting your body.

Love
    Latha

2. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Hi Latha - my 18 yr old sleeps late every night!! It is ridiculous the hours that she keeps. I have tried talking to her about how bad it is for her health - but I could be talking to a piece of furniture and get a response. Apparently that is what they do at this age - I never did that at her age. Now she is in college and I have no control over anything (not that I had it when she was at home!!). I tell her that it will catch up with her - sooner or later, dont you think?

3. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Hai Latha,

That was a good one on how afternoon naps cannot make up for the sleep lost during the nights. It is very true. It's the night sleep that really gets you to relax completely and you feel fresh and energized for the next day. Naps are just a short break during the day.

I am only wondering how a newborn moms body system will get affected because she loses so many nights sleep till the baby knows the day and night differences and sleeps through out the night? Poor females, will not even be able to take longer naps during the afternoon.

Regards,
    Rathi

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

hey latha,
    my daughter too sleeps every day by 2 am and am worried now that she is going to get married what she is going to do at her in laws...sunkan

5. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Yes Shoba, What you said is right. We have never done in our childhood what all these kids do now. Why, in my times there was no TV, only radio. That too at 9pm there'll be a news in English. My Father used to send all of us to bed, for him to be able to listen to the news peacefully. and then he'll also go to bed. By 9.30 all the lights were off.

My Children are also like that. Don't know what to do. It will catch up with them sooner than we think. You see many under thirty are suffering nowadays with their workload and wrong timings.
    Love
    Latha

6. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Dear Rathi,

But we all went through those days remember? We spent nights with our kids when they were babies but nothing happened to us. Maybe our body has some other calculations at that time. After sometime the mother gets used to sleeping when the baby sleeps, and then the hormones help us , I think. Only for the first 2.3 months the mother looks harassed but after that that tired feeling goes off.
    Love
    Latha

7. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sunkan,

I also worried till my daughter got married. But when I saw the family she got into, I was happy for her. They were also of the same group, sleeping after 1 & 2 am in the nights and sleeping till 10&11 am in the mornings.
    Even her MIL used to get up after 8 or so.

So something will happen . Don't start worrying now itself. She'll get used to what she has to do. These days modern girls are not like us. They can adapt easily.

Love
    Latha

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Latha,
    you are very right. my daughter a 15 year old goes to sleep and has made it as a habit of going to sleep very late and that too after midnight to do her homework, she also takes her food very late in the night.We even advised her in this regard and asked her to have time management chart and do according to it. As Shoba has pointed out, these go in to the deaf ears.
    She does this too during the weekdays, where she has to get up early to go to school around 7- 7.15 am, skipping breakfast frequently.
    I don't know what to do, maybe this article might give her an idea what is going on in her body at certain times and how it will affect her health, lately, will make her change the schedule of things she is been doing all these days!
    Hope so!

sriniketan

9. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Srini,

Don't let her see my earlier comment, that they can adapt easily. I do hope some people will change after reading this article.

There are many grown ups who have late nights and think it is fashion. Let them at least learn a lesson. Some learn by experience only and do we need that experience? need to suffer for our faults and bad living?

Now my daughter has started seeing reason, when she came this time she went to bed by 11pm and got up at 7.30 . This was very much better than she used to do. Everyone will learn. I hope so

Latha

10. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Lathaji,
    I am a late sleeper too. But I make sure that I go to bed atleast by 12.00. Only during weekends that too on Saturday nights I take up the previlage to work even more till 2 am. But I have to get up atleast by 7 in the morning to cook.

But I learnt a lot from your this post. So will definitely do justice to my body from hereater. Thanks for this great info.