1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Aftermath Of Diwali

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sunkan, Nov 11, 2007.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Diwali arrived brought in a lot of sweets and more than the sweets the packages made me think again my what are we Indians driving ourselves to.

The air being polluted no end, with so many crackers and rockets flying all over though a beauty to the eyes but I must say they are not lung friendly, what happened to those days withstanding was a lot more easier, is it the population increasing so many folds or the chemicals have started varying, no idea…

So many sweets all packed in little containers some are home delivery
    boxes from some hotels and some old soap containers, and some are disposables.

One thing was clear none wanted their home containers and plates in other people’s house as many have the habit of forgetting to return and sometime wait for an occasion to send it with some sweets. Sometime it is the children’s daily <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tiffin</st1:place></st1:City> box that comes in handy and you send it over to forget about it for good.

The amount of sweet also pile up and most times we are sick during these times with a lot of work involved and our ritual of having a oil bath and then heavy breakfast the polluted air puts in a lot of strain on the lungs and forced to slump with lethargy or the favorite cricket match which we had that day, divert us from what we want to taste and enjoy.

Given a month and we would long for those savories with a lot of reverence it was so wonderful and could not eat then, wish we had it now and so on, usually with all these diseases breaking into our homes we are more cautious about the intake of sugar and salt and spice. During the festivals we have to fore go some limits to give in to other’s choices, so these items are a rarity these days…. sunkan

2. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sunkan
    As usual your post was really great.Enjoyed reading it.What you quoted is hundred percent true.

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

It is true, Sunkan, you had potrayed y(our) thoughts well.

sriniketan

4. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sunkan,

Your write-up is excellent. The aftermath of Diwali is a feeling of emptiness for me as my son and daughter have left after joining me for Diwali. My daughter came from Phoenix and my son from New York. One of my daughter's close friend working in Washington D.C also joined us. We had great time lighting lamps, putting on new dresses, eating sweets and going out to temples. We went to Shiva-Vishnu and Murugan temples in Lanham. We watched the Diwali releases (Hindi movies), Om Shanti Om and Saawariya. We palyed cards game and for me it was great time as otherwise I pull on alone. After seeing them off, returning home was dreadful. Of course the house is in a mess and it is going to take sometime for me to put it right.

Regards,

TDU

5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Dear raman sir,
    sorry to go through your write up, coming back to an empty home is not welcome to any at all..any way life moves on after a hyper and excitement we fall much below in spirits...all the best..sunkan

6. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sunkan,

I love good norukku theeni... So, I would love to keep eating the sweets and savories... in limited quatities and in frequent intervals.... The Law of diminishing Marginal Utility will not work....

Since my friend just came back from Chennai, I was fortunate to get that S&S... So enjoying myself....