1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

After Your Funeral

Discussion in 'Interesting Shares' started by jayasala42, Jul 18, 2022.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Do you know what normally happens after your funeral?
    In a few hours the crying sound will be completely stopped.
    Family will be busy ordering food from hotels for the relatives..
    Grandchildren will return to running and playing.
    Some men at home will go to the tea shop for a walk before going to bed.
    Your neighbour will be angry, thinking why people have thrown the ritual leftovers close to his gate.
    A relative will talk to your son on the phone about not being able to come in person due to some emergency.
    At the next day's dinner, number of relatives will get reduced, and a few may even complain not having enough salt in the curry.
    Some relations coming from abroad would have secretly planned tourism, on their way back.
    One of your sons will be complaining that he spent a few hundred rupees more on his share of funeral expenses..
    The crowd will slowly dissolve ..
    In the coming days some calls may come to your phone without knowing that you are dead.
    Your office will be rushing to find someone to replace you.
    One week later, after hearing the news of your death, some Facebook friend may search with curiousity to know what your last post was.
    In two weeks your son and daughter will return to work after their emergency leave get over.
    By the end of the month, your spouse will be watching a comedy show on the TV and laughing.
    In the coming months, your close relatives will return to the cinema halls and the beach resorts.
    Everybody’s life will go back to normal just as if there is no difference between a withered leaf falling of a big tree and what for you lived and died. it all happens so easily, so fast, within a short period.
    Rain starts falling, election is coming, crowd in the buses are as usual, a celebrity is getting married, another festival is coming, the cricket matches are played as planned, the flowers are in full bloom, and your pet dog gave birth to next puppies.
    And you are forgotten by this world at an astonishing pace.
    In twelve months time your first year death anniversary will be celebrated in a grand manner.
    In the blink of an eye, years will pass and there will be no one to talk about you.
    One day, just looking at old photos, one of your close friends may remember you. In your hometown, of the thousands of people you had become acquainted with, only one person may remember and talk about you sometime.
    You maybe living elsewhere, as someone else, if reincarnation is true. Otherwise, you will be nothing and will be plunged into darkness forever.
    Tell me now...
    If people are waiting to forget you so easily then for whom are you running and worried about now?
    For most part of your life, say 80%, you think about what your relatives and neighbors think about you.. Are you living a life to satisfy them?
    No! It's your life. Live it as per your choice. Nothing else matters so urgently.
    Experience talks.
    Jayasala42

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

3. baljit

baljit Senior IL'ite

Interesting... But that is the fact of life

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

I also got this as a forwarded message in whatsapp group.
    I have been thinking from then on...can grief be managed so easily?? Or is it something that i am not able to cope with?
    I agree to every practical aspect of it as to people move on with their day to day activites. But deep down, it is not so easy as it is written.
    In my life, i have lost some people. Till date we remember them, talk about them, share good memories with cousins. Recently my cousin sent a recorded song of my grand mother who expired in early 1990's.
    Especially when the death is sudden and all these rituals happen in a flash of a few hours, the acceptance of death itself takes long time to heal. The pain that the close ones undergo cannot be expressed in words.

5. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

No offense to anyone, all of us, myself included, will read the above message, feel enlightened for about 30 seconds and then forget it immediately and go back to our usual lives.

If anyone decided to change anything in their lives after reading the above message, kindly enlighten me ( along with the how ), so I can also do it.

Lot of communication happening in such forwards, articles etc fill our time and a space in our head without really adding value ( in fact it takes time away from the more important things ).

Is it really worth it.

Again, sorry, am not pointing this message to anyone else but to myself, who is happily consuming such messages.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Yes, it is not easy!
    I still miss my grandpa who left us in 1997 or my FIL about 8 years ago! My aunts who are no longer there, I think of them fondly and remember them at several occasions!
    Deep down it is simply not as easy as it is written in the post

I think the purpose of the post was the final line - why think about others reactions, live life as it suits you! So, yes, from that point of view - everyone gets back to their daily life soon enough, so do what makes you happy!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

I also agree with what you have mentioned
    Can't forget the people who have gone
    Last year I lost my husband. I agree with your last para

hrastro and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Smt. Jayasala,

Funerals are gentle reminders for everyone that that original departure time and leaving time are different for different people but everyone has to leave one day. It is supposed to bring in a discipline that when we are here, we need to do things that will give us a great sense of fulfillment. Each life came into existence for a reason and when we have time (we never know when it will end), we need to find that out and fulfill it. Life is a gift and another opportunity for us to eliminate our encryptions as much as possible so that it can move towards immortality. The funeral is a gentle reminder that it would happen again and again until we eliminate our Karma (encryptions) and liberate the soul. Every funeral brings the best of philosophy in each one of us but such thoughts wither away quickly and our forgetfullness takes over. Knowledge is learning from the death of others and wisdom is learning how not to be born again.

It is not about how long someone shed tears for the ones who left that matters but how they celebrated the departed souls' lives before and after the funerals.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

We still miss our Late Grandmother

My coworker has busy like with wife, 4daughters, one getting married, two naughty dogs.

He still thinks of his late Father everyday

This is good post. Lot of times I want to wear what I feel like, then I convince myself to do it because who cares? Do these strangers care?