1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

After sixty every day is a bonus, this is what the present Senior Citizens feel

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Mar 31, 2014.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Now a days every person who crosses sixty says after sixty every day is a bonus. Its a man's luck and because of his good deeds he gets a good wife. In old age she is his support because the children get settled and now a days most of the children are abroad so the couple is there for each other. They say Aavadhum Pennale, azhivadhum pennale. Its in a woman's hands to make everything possible. If she thinks she can bring a smile on everyone's face with her deeds. In every house there will be a woman who does that, unites people, caters to everyone's needs , brings smile on other's faces by doing what they like.

Now a days whoever senior citizen I meet they feel they have to look after themselves with the support of their wife. Some days back I had met my close friend's father in law . When I asked him how are you, he was saying every day is a bonus for me. So far so good. Now a days you cant rely on anyone, you have to look after yourself. From his words I could understand that he is missing his children.

For women who have not been working find it difficult to manage when their husband is no more. But slowly they learn everything and are able to live independently in their old age. Recently I had gone to LIC Office for some work and I had to fill up some form and an agent sitting nearby first gave me a seat, saying this is reserved for you. Then when he saw me filling up the form he was saying you could have told some agent to help you. I told him this is a simple form which I can fill why should I rely on the Agent and also now I am not working so why spend money on this. Then he kept quiet, but before I left he gave me his card saying in case you need any help for investment you phone me. As far as possible we should learn to be independent so that we wont find difficult to do any work.

At older age the love between husband and wife increase drastically as that is the time the togetherness felt as children are gone away to their own life and responsibilities. Here is a quote by Kannadasan which is very touching. To read in tamil it is very interesting but I dont know exactly to translate in English." Patta kadan konchamalle, parithavipum konchamalle , ketta kadhai konchamalle, thathallipum konchamalle... Ivai ellam Thangai kondru nan etharkaka vazhukindren? THATHAI AVAL EN MANAIVI THALIKAKA VAZHUKINDREN...I read this today in fb. I can guarantee you that even the ever fighting and arguing couples will be very close and loving at the old age though say want to leave this world early but inner side wishing innam konchanal koode ippadi irukamudiyatha....

Coming to this world and leaving this world is not in our hands. Many women want to leave this world as a Sumangali. But I feel a woman can manage somehow even if her husband leaves the world before her but it is difficult for a man to live without his wife especially when he is old. Just as they say noone can take the place of a mother , same is the case noone can take the place of a wife for a man.

24 people like this.

2. sreeraga

sreeraga Silver IL'ite

Very touching...

Nicely said...

regards
    Aparna

3. Deepu04

Deepu04 IL Hall of Fame

Vijima.. Good and talks about the real expectation of senior citizens.

My mom`s undergoing the pain of missing my dad... She is very independent from the beginning in her married life since my dad was into sales and he frequently travels. And in the recent days, after me and my brother started earning. we have asked our dad to stop working and take rest at home. In those days, my dad used to help my mom in all means from cutting veggies to till getting coffee on sunday mornings..

My dad passed away last december. For the past 4 months, I know what my mom would have felt even though she does not tell us. We try to keep her busy and engaged as mush as we can. I really do not know how my mom is managing. My mom is very strong person. With lots of hurdles, she has given the education and good health to us. But yesterday, when I was having a casual chat with my mom, she mentioned that she does not live after 60 as I do not want to be dependent to anyone. I felt bad. Am sorry for being so emotional..

2 people like this.
  4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji,

Now a days every person who crosses sixty says after sixty every day is a bonus.

I differ with you on this statement of yours for I have seen many elders in our family suffering with old age ailments and cursing their life. Specially women feel very dejected if they outlive their spouses. They are kicked around if they have 2/3 sons. If there is only one son their situation is worst if they depend on him.

How I wish that God also should have a retirement system like the government and should recall to His abode those who have completed their duties and commitments.

When people can't take care of themselves physically or financially they are deemed as burden. There may be some exception as every rule has an exception.

This is my personal opinion and sorry for contradicting you.
    Love,
    PS

1 person likes this.
  5. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

That is what is going on in majority of households. As you said, a few may be exceptions !

2 people like this.
  6. Quebec

Quebec Platinum IL'ite

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Iyerviji............. You are special......

You are special today.....
    You are special everyday.....

When you smile it brightens everyone's face,
    all worries go running without leaving a trace,

yes yes absolutely right every days is a bonus after sixty years,
    cause its time to give wisdom to the next generation that you have accumulated like seers,

oh you are so loved that the birthday cake flies form across the world fresh as morning's dew,
    oh iyerviji dont you realise....it isnt anything else...... Just you you you.......

This must be the new vision you were talking about...... About seeing the world more brighter........
    And even if its dark..... Just remember us Iliets your heart will glow...... May be not much but enough to make the darkness a shade lighter........

All hail Q...... He he he........ (necessary self promotion)

Take Care
    Chow

2 people like this.
  7. iyerviji

Sreeraga dear thanks for your first fb , glad you liked the write up

8. iyerviji

Deepu dear . Glad you found the post good. Sorry to know that your Dad passed away in December. I can understand your mom's feelings.She must be feeling insecured without your Dad. It will take sometime for her to come to normal.So dont worry.

1 person likes this.
  9. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

My mom also wanted to pass before my dad as every woman expect. At the same time she had little bit fear in some corner, as 'how would he survive alone'. She didn't expressed this out ever, but can read through her eyes.

But almighty always think in practical ways to grant all wishes... so he blessed and agreed with her internal fear.. so granted the best.. :(

Nice snippet ma...

That may can be respect, love or fear on mother.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    2 people like this.
  10. deepv

deepv Platinum IL'ite

Vijima
    very touching.Nicely narrated.