1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ae mee - edhuthathu meenakshi !!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Bhooma, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

AE MEE- as she was popularly referred to in my house …( AE MEE – was the short form for Eduthathu Meenkashi and Kee MEE was Keezathu Meenkashi ) !!

I am talking about those good old days when neighbours were more than just neighbours . Amma at 40 was the oldest and with seven children she was the agony aunt/counselor by default . Even for Mrs Khosla who would talk to Amma in Hindi and English and amma would respond back in her broken English/Hindi.

The small cupboard near the entrance had a couple of nails nailed in… the neighbours going out would hang their keys with a shout .. Mami we are going out !! The necessity to shut the front door during the day never arose .. we were running in and out of the house.

Meenakshi mami was a teacher by profession and they didn’t have any kids yet . She would gather us together , oil our hair and plait it for us. I preferred to have my plaits as close to my ears as possible ( almost hanging like two horns ) She would plait the hair way back. She would take some “eyetex” kajal put a drop of the “chaandu” mix it and put it as a bindi. This would give the “pottu” a blackish red color . and I hated it. “Now go and play” she would shoo us off after she was done with us !

Come rain or sunshine , mami would come in the mornings at 8.30 with a small katori with an urgent enquiry … Mama saaptacha? ( Has mama had his lunch yet ). She would stand near the kitchen entrance waiting for Anna to have the dish she had brought. And as usual Anna would say “ Meenkashi… first class”. She would beam on hearing that and hurry back to her house .

We knew everybody in their family.. her isters,brothers, their in-laws, their cousins… joys and sorrows were shared . I remember the excitement on Mamis’ face when she conceived and Ammas’ delight when the new baby was brought home.

Mami was the one who was instrumental in getting me involved in cultural activities . Every year we would look forward to the Annual Day of our Society and Meenakshi Mami would be the one who would take the most active part – organizing Kolattam, Kummi,Radha Krishna dance, English plays !!

Time flew.. the world started changing .. Mama and Mami decided to move to a bigger flat at Churchgate and slowly we lost touch.

I met Meenakshi mami after many years during my nephews’ wedding . She had grown old, her fingers were bent with rheumatism but that smile was there on her face. With great difficulty she stood up when I bent to touch her feet and gave me a bear hug.

On my next visit to Mumbai I heard that Meenakshi mami had passed away but the family had requested there be no condolence visits.

Her daughter Priya I last heard is living in Chennai. Priya , if you ever happen to read this blog, I just want you to know how much your mother meant to us .

Mami- I can never forget you .

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Bhooma,

Believe me, I had a eduthathu meenakshi maami, when mil was alive and we were in another flat. the maami used to bring vepamboo rasam to karudaam maavu to my mil. When i was abroad, it was always a blessing and relief that she was there to keep a watch on mil.

though there are qualities in her that i don't like, but it adds more lustre to her. she has taught my daughter vishnu sahasranamam. today when ever possible i visit her.

definitely some neighbours become so part of our family and life and missed by us every day.

may their tribe increase, when we never even want to say hello to our neighbour.

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Those were the days, Bhooma, where we knew A-Z of our neighbours..and our/their participation in good and bad times of our lives...giving and getting advice, etc,etc, etc..

sriniketan