Advice on IT Career - My high end problem!

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Venonimiss, Mar 30, 2007.

What should I do?

Poll closed Apr 9, 2007.
  1. Stay in my stable job and take care of my 2 year old kid and let my hubby struggle for money

100.0%
  2. Take recriuting training and work on it but keep my job

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Shift to software - Informatica and Sql

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Shift to software - C#, Sharepoint

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Venonimiss

Venonimiss Bronze IL'ite

I have an Masters in Engineering from US. I work in a state govt firm, a very relaxed and stable job, no tensions. My spouse is in a good position in his software firm and makes a better pay than me. We are married 5 years now. Last year we had our baby and we bought our first home in Bay Area. Then started all the hardships. The mortgages are high and the day care etc is expensive it feels like our hands are tied all together. Things won't go smooth with out both the pay checks in the bank every month and by the end of the month, there are no savings! It's like - money comes and money goes. We have some credit card payments, car payments along with our regular bills. Apart from that, time to time, we help parents and siblings from both sides.

Since we have a GC, We are trying to do other stuff like recruiting etc (which needs lot of efforts by the way). But with our regular jobs, we are not able to do anything else. My husband says that if I move to software and make more money - atleast $2000 more per month, he can leave his job and either go for contracting or spend more time on consulting and make money.

So, the only thing right now is for me to move to software industry. Being worked 5 years as a project manager in my engineering firm and being studied here in US, I am very comfortable and confident working anywhere here. And since I have a Green Card, I don't need any sponsership etc. My only problem is - Software...where do I start?

*Testing - everyone is looking for jobs in testing and I am looking for a long term and strong platform.

I am learning C#, but it doesn't totally give me an idea where I should go.

I heard Informatica is good. I heard Share Point is good. I know I have to learn atleast one database - may be pl/sql, Oracle etc..

Where should I go? what should I do? I am hoping I can get a job based on my work experience and confidence and personal skills. But which platform?? this dilemma is taking me no where and it is straining my personal life along with my finances. We need to make changes in our situation ASAP since it has'nt been working for us since last year - But I am blanked out about what to do. What do you think, I should do?

2. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Hi there,

Cheer up!! Everything will come around.. Switching to software meaning, u want to become a developer or continue as project manager? If you are thinking abt development Im sure if you start with Java, you would have more opportunities.. But you would be starting as junior developer and then work your way up.

Since you have good management experience you can still look for Project manager positions in software companies.. You dont have to learn all the software for that... And project manager salary would be much higher than developer of course.

Try to find out if there are any courses for IT Project Managers. That might be useful.

Goodluck!!

3. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    You said
    Being worked 5 years as a project manager in my engineering firm and being studied here in US, I am very comfortable and confident working anywhere here. And since I have a Green Card, I don't need any sponsership etc. My only problem is - Software...where do I start?

Then what more?You can easily switch over to corporate side.Even people who are unemployed for a long time are starting a career in IT industry.That too you have worked as a project manager ,things would help you a lot.Post your resume in all jobs provider site like naukri.com,timesjob.com,monsterindia.com etc.The list goes on.I think in software testing,the job is hassle free but the scope and salary is limited.I think so.But i don't know the exact scenario.Then about soft skills learn any one strongly and in depth.I think this will help.Registering your resume in job sites is better.

4. So Sure

So Sure Senior IL'ite

hi Bhargavi,
    I would suggest you to check SAP. Your experience in Engineering field will not go waste. Modules like MM, PP have a lot of vacancies. You do not need Software Programming background. You can learn a module in any Desi training Center. My husband was a Production Manager in SS Industry making Automobile engine parts. Now, he works for SAP. You can find jobs in other companies with SAP Software. And SAP jobs are highly paid.
    Regards,
    Sharada

5. So Sure

So Sure Senior IL'ite

Oops!
    My previos post should be addressed to SSirivol. Not Bhargavi!
    Regards,
    Sharada

6. leelal

leelal Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sirivol,

Pls be prepared for a more hectic schedule and work style if you are plannign to move to Software. Pls don't think that the otherside si always green. Just because you are shifting to software, you may end up adding soem more expenses to your kitty and need to work around a lot to tally them.
    There are 2 solutions to your problem.

1. Cut down your expenses. (How much?)

2. Increase your earnings. (But at what expense:)-)

Its really really difficult to do the first step after getting used to the comforts. But we are always ready to do the second action by incurring more expense at teh cost of health and family problems.

Just a small suggestion worth 2 cents. You have mentioned that you are working with a govt org and also with a Masters in Engineering. Having a Project Manager position in Engineering firms is an Asset. You may only need some guidance on how to use this to reap more potential. There are software companies like Wipro, infosys who recruit for their US staff to manage the engineering projects/programs. You can give it a try.

May I know your discipline of Engineering so that you may able to consult or work on product conceptualization. If you can do a product conceptualization in the engineering discipline with design efforts (by working at home) and roll into production through indian associates, you can see really really good revenue.

My suggestions are going to be toatlly away from the path of your thoughts.
    But pls start giving a thought process. May be this will help you to land up in a very good economy model.