1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on feeding solids

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Sonaliray, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Sonaliray

Sonaliray New IL'ite

We have a 15 month old daughter. she only likes properly pureed food. We have tried to give her solids but she refuses to eat them other than very select food items. Need help / advice on how to get her to accept solids. The problem i have noticed is that she does not chew and therefore when she puts a piece ofe solid, she is unable to swallow she just rejects.

thanks

sonali

2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Hi sonali

so how many teeth does your DD have??
    Usually somewhere betweeon 7-9month onwards children start eating semi solid foods.
    Since you said she has problem swallowing solids so try reducing the size of the pieces.
    i would advice you to

1. Let your child explore toys or objects(not small objects) with shape and multiple textures with the mouth.This helps them in recognising the textures.
    2. Then slowly offer smooth pureed food thickened with baby cereal or homemade purees that are thick but smooth.
    3. Next step would be to introduce thicker pureed foods with small, soft, regular lumps of the same size and texture.
    4. Later you can advance to foods with a thicker smooth background gravy that contain soft lumps that vary in size or texture.
    5. If your DD shows improvement then introduce her to finely mashed table food mixed with a gravy to bind the pieces together.
    6. And then include moist mashed table food without gravy.

But the catch is slowly and steadily.....
      No change should be ever brought about in child's routine all of a sudden....they'll resist it.
    And remember when you introduce solids the digestion takes longer time.So reduce the frequency or increase the gap between each meal.This is necessary otherwise the child might not cooperate when feeding food.

4 people like this.
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

In addition to he excellent tips above, encourage her to chew. Eg. You could give her a piece of banana, put one in your mouth too. Then say "chew" and proceed to munch it exaggeratedly. Even without food in my mouth I kept pretending to chew and my DD caught the hang of what I meant.

You could try giving her rice cakes or tiny bits of papad etc - the kind of stuff that will melt in her mouth. That would help her get more accustomed to different textures.

Also try mashing regular food with a fork rather then will puréeing it. That should be mashed yet lumpy

4. tcbhuvana

tcbhuvana Gold IL'ite

Really useful info Dinny..

1 person likes this.
  5. Sonaliray

Sonaliray New IL'ite

Thanks dinny and guesshoo. I will defo try the useful tips you both have suggested.Lets see what comes out of it.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dinny has given you excellent tips! Nothing more to add other than one small thing. start with something she absolutely loves.

1 person likes this.
  7. geetha mahesh

geetha mahesh Bronze IL'ite

My baby is 6 mths old and I would like to start semisolid to solid foods. Any suggestions from the group? I am a first time mom..:) He is presently getting mainly formula with twice daily breast feeds

8. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame