Advice needed on good quality Atta in India – Migrating back there from US/Canada

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by an123, Dec 14, 2012.

1. an123

an123 Bronze IL'ite

Hi girls

I have been living in US and Canada for a long time and have been using Sher Desi Durum Atta. The quality of this Atta is very good and it gives a very soft and yellowish tinge rotis and phulkas. The flour itself has a yellowish tinge and is 100% durum wheat.

1. We would be relocating to India shortly and would like to know what would be a good equivalent brand there? Some of the attas which look promising when I searched online is as follows. Does anyone have any experience with them?

• · Pillsbury – Punjabi Atta
    • · Pillsbury – Gold Atta
    • · Annapurna – Special MP Sharbati Atta
    • · Aashirward - MP Sharbati Atta
    • · Shree Bhog - MP Sharbati Atta
    • · Rajdhani - MP Sharbati Atta
    2. Which type of Atta closely resembles Durum Atta in colour and Roti texture – Punjabi Atta or Sharbati Atta? I know most of the Chakki Attas that are sold in India have a whitish colour with pinkish brownish undertone and that’s not what I am looking for. Also I don’t want a brand which has Maida added into it.

3. We haven’t got our posting yet so we don’t know whether we would be in the Northern or Southern regions so please advise on the availability of the Atta you recommend in the region as well.

Hope to hear your advice soon.

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

By now you might have relocated to India.

I usually use Pillsbury, annapoorna or Aashirwad atta non of these have maida in this. Annapoorna and Aashirwad have yellowish tinge where as Pillsbury is a bit whitish.

3. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

We have been using Aashirwaad and the family seems to be happily munching away the sift roties. No complaints. Its a good brand

4. HEMASRIRANGAM

HEMASRIRANGAM Bronze IL'ite

My choice is pillsbury.