1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

advice for a 6th grader

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by nmtkar123, Aug 1, 2010.

1. nmtkar123

nmtkar123 Senior IL'ite

hi all,
    my son is going into 6th grade and he is just like my hubby, very technology oriented , talks about computer systems, latest gadgets and all that and i have noticed that when he tries to talk to his friends or classmates about it, they r not that much into it. i was wondering if there were any such clubs etc for kids where i cud take him and he wud be able to interact with kids his age with similar interests. i know in 7th grade there is a technology club but besides that, any ideas in ny, long island precisely

2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    I just noticed your post. Here is my suggestion - do you know about Lego MindStorm Robotics? They are completely amazing, ideal for your son. The kits can build programmable robots - that would cover gadgets and computer programming. Perfect for some father-son time too, if Dad is into it. See: LEGO.com MINDSTORMS : Home
    As for Long Island, see if his school is part of this FLL:
    Long Island Teams Receive Numerous Awards at 2010 SBPLI – LI FIRST LEGO League Championship Tournament
    If not, you can try and get a club started in his school. Perfect way to get him involved and teach him some inter-personal / leadership skills. Note that the founder of FLL is Dean Kamen who is one of the leading inventors of today.
    Some of Dean Kamen's awards include: the Kilby Award '94, the Hoover Medal '95, election to the National Academy of Engineers '97, the Heinz Award '98, the National Medal of Technology, awarded by President Clinton, in 2000, and the Lemelson-MIT Prize in '02. Recent awards include the New Freedom Award, ASME's Golden Omega Award, and Global Green USA's Product Design Award.
    Nurture his talent and enthusiasm!
    Good Luck!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010