1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Adult Movies viewing bad for marriage - Agree or Disagree?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by SallyR, Oct 4, 2011.

Adult movies viewing is bad for marriage...

1. Agree

16 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. Disagree

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  3. Neutral

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

Hi Guys,

Adult movies industry in my opinion exploits vulnerable women, but the topic of discussion is NOT the industry.

The viewing itself, I think has negative effects in a marriage - Do you agree or disagree and what are your reasons for it?

I've given below some of the reasons why I think it's bad for marriage...

1. Physical love helps in creating bond between couples. Exclusive nature of marriage helps to strengthen this bond but watching movies takes away the exclusivity. It is a type of infidelity IMO.
    2. Potential for one of the partner to prefer watching movies over their spouse that could results in lack of intimacy.
    3. Creates unrealistic expectations of the opposite gender that could result in disappointment.

more reasons to follow later...

Moderators: Please delete this poll if you think it's inappropriate.

2. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

Hey, I think this poll is appropriate.

Boys go to strip clubs, view ****, have "friends with benefits", and their parents think it's ok because they are "men".

Later, these boys do not have the capacity to get close to their wives, which plants trouble in the marriage.

3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Sally dear..u always start the perfect thread ...
    Personally I think there is something inherently lacking in a person who needs to watch ****
    when they are married and have a flesh and blood spouse next to them.

It creates unhealthy unrealistic expectations as u rightly pointed out.
    Building a passionate marriage is a lot of work. It doesn't happen in a day or a week .
    The couple needs to invest time and whole lot of it if you want one .Watching **** ..flirting online and offline with other women/men..is a cheap short cut that only derails the marriage in the long run.

4. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

I agree, once they get hooked into this world I think it's hard to come out. ****, SC, etc shows women as sex objects and men who watch these regularly are likely to have very low opinion of women.

1 person likes this.
  5. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

Thanks JAG!

Agree with you completely :thumbsup

6. rechtsanwalt

rechtsanwalt Senior IL'ite

I was recently mauled by a feline cat, so I will be more guarded with my opinions.

First of all, I think this statement "**** viewing bad for marriage" needs to be qualified.

a. MARRIAGE: Are we talking about lifelong marriages here? There are people who are married for a few years, find someone else and move on. So we cannot definitively conclude if **** is the cause of the split. Also some couples like to watch sexually explicit movies together. They believe it enhances their love life. So is there some beneficial effect of ****? Long term vs short term? Difficult to answer merely on the basis of anonymous internet postings without having details about the marriage.

b. ****:
    Definition (from www.thefreedictionary.com): Sexually explicit pictures, writing, or other material whose primary purpose is to cause sexual arousal.

THere are different types of ****. The problem I have is that there are erotic "naughty" movies with a sizeable production budget on the one hand. These movies have a story line because there is a budget for a screenplay writer. They also have music, which requires a music director. Plus you need actors having reasonable talent. Cinematographer, good post production studio etc. All these require a reasonable budget.

On the other hand, there are movies that only want to capture the act of sex without the music, story, acting
    etc. Thus the type of actors you get here are those whose opportunities in life are limited by their lack of talents or conditions.

My question is: will you make a moral judgement between a "dirty" **** movie & these aesthetic erotic movies (such as Tales of Kamasutra) on the basis of production budget i.e MONEY?

A lot of women have no problems watching the erotic movies for the below reasons posted by SALLYR:
    1. it does not violate physical love since it is not ****.
    2. The act depicted in the movie involves natural love-making between equals, not like a low-budget hardcore **** movie where the guy calls the lady b*+*h, $lut etc. Usually the act is preceded by the right conditions, so that it does not look artificial, such as the couple get stuck in a cottage on a rainy night. So the love making scene follows naturally.
    3. There are no unrealistic expectations because these are based on real life experiences.
    4. The actors are not exploited.

Even if you refuse to watch these movies, contemporary Bollywood movies do feature the mandatory rain song, shots of a woman's hips, lip-to-lip kisses etc.

So I think many women would agree that we are discussing the "Effects of watching low-budget/mid-budget hardcore **** movies on reasonably conservative Indian marriages".

My answer: AGREE.

However, I did not vote for the following reason:

I have a further doubt that borders on a philosophical issue.
    Let me make a list of things that has affected either of our expectation of the other:

a. Movies/Books: I love older films/books. I would love my wife to be like Savitri: well-dressed, patient, kind, affectionate (no need to be passionate). Or even Melaine Wilkes from Gone with the Wind.
    My wife likes me overall but would like me to: cut down my rather generous spare tyre, be sociable, gregarious.

b. Clothes: I am not allowed to wear dhoties, shave my head. Wife wants me to wear Jeans, have a hairstyle, wear clunky metallic watches like many heroes.

My point is that we now live in a world that is saturated with media and advertising telling us what our values should be, what we should wear, eat, how should we address each other etc. These are the days when people no longer name their children Pachai Karuppan, Pichai Appan, Nagambal, Alamelu etc. We want to call our children Nikil, Neha, Tanya. If your young daughter told you she wants to marry a temple pujari or your young son told you he wants to be a school teacher, would you agree? We "inspire" them to work for McKinsey, become a neuro-surgeon and so on.

So what is unrealistic is subjective, but overall we can say that our perceptions are being moulded by media and advertisement and we are being asked to "change". Change is the only constant, we are told.

Sorry for the deviation and long post, but in regards to **** we are one of the first generation to get exposed to this. Our children will hopefully and probably just turn their noses in disgust, "how can people watch this"?

Best

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    2 people like this.
  7. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about...you know the happily ever after stuff!

Agree, I'm not saying **** is the reason for all or even most splits. All I'm saying is **** watching causes problems in a marriage, which might and might not lead to divorce.

If both watch explicit movie together and enjoy it then it's up to them, but I'm not entirely convinced about how it can enhance love life...I also don't think it's healthy for couples to depend upon an external stimulator to keep their love life going.

Thanks for the definition.

I'm aware of such movies but don't know about their budgets and such.

Again I'm aware of these kinds as well.

Money has nothing to do with it. I think both are bad.
    I have tried to stay clear of making any moral judgement in this thread (have made it in the past though in another thread). The aim of the thread was to discuss **** viewing and its effects in a married life.

Maybe lots of women don't have any problem with watching erotic movies, however I do have problems with it...it's not physical love when it's done in front of camera with lots of people watching. Love making is a private affair between people who have feelings for each other.
    Main purpose I think why people watch erotic movies is to get aroused...I'm sure it's not for it's story line. I can't understand the need to watch a movie to get aroused especially if you have a active partner.

I agree that most movies have a element of s** in it but the primary focus is not that.

I understand that you think if it's soft **** then it's ok and not ok if it's hardcore. I wouldn't completely agree with that...hardcore is definitely worse than the other but doesn't mean watching erotic movies doesn't do any harm. It's like saying heroine is bad but weed is ok. Both are drugs, one is worse than other but both bad nevertheless.

Sorry, I didn't quite understand your reasons.

I do agree the media's influence on our daily life, it is all around us, sometimes unknowingly we take what they show or portray as the norm, which is scary. Media uses s** to sell almost everything now. It's not healthy for girls to grow up to think that they have to look and act a certain way to be appealing and boys thinking that is the way girls should be, etc. Some time ago I read about pole dancing lessons for kids, where is this world coming to.

I have to say media influence is not always bad, it has helped to bring in some good changes as well. I think we should pause and think before following things blindly. We should be strong in our core values, without that we are nothing.

Since you've mentioned expectations regarding clothing I wanted to give my opinion even though you didn't ask for it - I think we should wear what we like wearing (within reasons of course), while it's ok to wear something for our spouse once in a while, doing it long term could eventually compromise our self identity.

I don't agree with you about your question regarding son/daughters career/partner choice. I don't think it is to do with media. We want what is best for our children. My advice to my kids have been study well & work hard, so that you don't have to depend upon anyone for money. Regarding their partner choice, I don't mind if it's going to a temple pujari.

Don't worry about the deviation. I quite enjoyed thinking about the media influence to be honest. I hope you're right about our children, but I'm not so sure. Children are getting exposed to online **** really early these days, which is not good.

8. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

I am curious to know the following :

"Does **** watching influence a person, commit passion crime / sexual violence on women ?"...........or "Regular **** watching lead to the making of a sex offender"

I have no idea about the above subject. I have heard that in the West, they identify a sex offender, according to the street / location, where he resides and gives this information to the Community. As they have studied the phenomenon of sexual violence/ passion crime so much,...........has my above question, been studied any time in the past, by any Agency ?

Can any one throw some light on it, with some authentic information on it ?

9. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

i would say while **** watching by itself is not bad for marriage if both the persons involved are game. but when it becomes excessive, habitual, compulsive leading to major reason of conflict between the two of them, then it becomes 'bad'.

but why wait for things to actually go 'bad'. cos u never know when an harmless indulgence becomes a habit and when that turns into addiction. there really no strict divide between the three.

7 people like this.
  10. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

**** is a bad catalyst.

5 people like this.