1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

adoption forum

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by roopadadia, Jan 18, 2008.

1. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

I have received this message as a forward and thought of sharing it here.

It has been around 2 months since initiating a group focused on Child Adoption. We have now around 150 members in the e-group Child Adoption in India | Google Groups . We would be registering a non-profit group by the name P.G.C.A.I (People`s Group for Child Adoption in India) and the website would be coming up soon ( www.pgcai.org Coming Soon!).

We are looking forward to expand the reach of our group. Child Adoption is still an alien concept at large in our society and still lot of misconceptions prevail among people. Regarding the involvement of people, it is up to the choice of the individual in terms of the level of contribution and commitment.

The objectives of our group are:

1) To promote Child Adoption in India to ensure that every child gets a home, who has no one to look after, with focus on domestic adoptions.

2) To build a people based platform at national level to bring together parents who have adopted a child, people who are willing to adopt a child, and anyone who is willing to spread awareness regarding Child Adoption in India.

3) To act as an interface between the common man and government bodies, adoption agencies, NGOs related to child adoption and media with reference to Child Adoption.

4) To work in close association with adoption agencies to ensure making the whole process of adoption more transparent.

5) To work on modifying the laws related to adoption to help more orphan children become legally eligible for adoption.

6) To enable a database of the prospective adoptive parents across India and to help them in the process of adoption, especially with regard to adoption procedures and pre-adoption counseling.

7) To enable implementation of adoption leave across different companies in the private sector in India.

The need of the hour is becoming more familiar with this issue. Even going through the discussions and the articles posted on the group on a regular basis, can help in becoming more familiar with the issue.

We have started a blog for our group at Child Adoption India (P.G.C.A.I) (till the website is up and ready). You can also go through the previous discussions of the e-group at Discussions - Child Adoption in India | Google Groups

Also, we have a community on Orkut by the name P.G.C.A.I. (People`s Group for Child Adoption in India) which can help members knowing each other well. The link for the Orkut Community is : http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=42098328

As a starting step you can join Child Adoption in India | Google Groups .

We want to spread more awareness about this issue and your involvement can indeed make a difference in the future of those children who have no one to look after.

Please forward this mail to as many people as possible, to help us in this noble cause.

2. Ushie

Ushie Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    Nice to know all the informations. I want to know whether there is any group or forum for already adopted parents. I have some doubts regarding formalities and like to share some knowledge.
    Thank you

3. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Hi Dear,

I have no idea at all. Maybe you can contact from that link and move further.

Roopa.

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

it is very tough to go in for adoption in india,
    my exposure to this.

they ask you to come over to the orphanage or which ever place,
    they want a guarantee letter from the siblings of the couple to stand by in case anything happens to them.

they want to know whether their family on both sides are agreeable for adoption of a child at home.

they want a certificate from the police commissioner to assure that we are citizens of india and for that u need to pay 6000/ to meet him.

with all these they say they will not show any babies before hand.

the social worker will come home, and check with the environment.

they don't have homes all over iindia some centres with branches all over, so you need to visit the main office often to check in if the babies are available.

they give preference to girl babies to be adopted, and in a gap of one year a bigger child should be taken in adoption.

the people concerned lost interest with all these and walked away without adopting for now...sunkan