1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Adieu, My Good Friend!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra
    My dear Viswa
    Ratna Cafe Tiffin is too much of genalarisation. People generally flockrd to it for the Iddlies and Sambar in a mug. 80% of the sale would be from Iddly-Sambar. But it has lost its quality now. Sambar has become too watery. The hotel is facing stiff competition from the latest ones like Sangeeta and Saravana.
    While on this subject, I would be failing in my duty if I do not reminisce about the Koyambattur Krishnaiyar Hotel of Pycrofts Road. It has wound up its business now but when it was active, it would ride like the Colossus of Rhodes. People came there from far and wide only for its Badam Halwa. My school frind would tell me that the best way to eat that halwa was to pick a small piece and place it in the centre of the tongue and close the mouth. He was against using the teeth in the eating of the halwa. 'Let it melt in your mouth', he would advise. It was a great piece of advice.
    Sri

jskls, Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  2. Cheeniya

@Srama
    Dear Sabi
    It is difficult to say if the tooth was causing me trouble, or I was causing trouble to it. It is purely a question of perspective. If it became defective, it was probably because of my lack of attention to it. I was possibly too lazy while brushing my teeth and in not paying attention at its first sign of decay. The thought hurts me a lot. I have nightmarish vision of the tooth calling me a traitor and a murderer.
    I do nothing else these days though there is more hissing in my voice than before because of the large gap left by the departed tooth. My dentist is a very kind man. When he saw my reluctance to make myself comfortable in that chair, he lowered it to the ground level and pointed out that it could double as a cot when he had no clients around.
    I don't know if a tooth wrote blogs for if it did, it might possibly give you the story as an aggrieved party!
    Sri

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

@jayasala42
    Thank you very much for your appreciative response.
    Extremely well articulated truth. I remember how I used to shed copious tears at every farewell. The largest quantum of tears was shed by me when I had to bid farewell to my bachelorhood.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

@shyamala1234
    Dear Syamala
    I am sorry that my narrative style made you run the gamut of emotions from a to b! That was my purpose of course for who would listen to my appointment with the dentist otherwise?
    My mother had no teeth at all during the last decade of her life but she would enjoy her food nevertheless. She would say that food tasted much better without any hindrance from her teeth!
    Sri

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Cheeniya

@iyerviji
    My dear Viji
    Very true but do we give equal importance to every part of our body? In my case, I don't! I used to give more importance to my legs which kept me loafing around all the time. I never gave much importance to my brain and that's why I was not much bothered when a part of it was struck by a stroke and I lost my memory for names. I just moved on saying 'What's in a name?'
    Sri

Thyagarajan and sangeethakripa like this.
  6. Cheeniya

@Novalis
    Have you finished your Dasavathar or anything is left of it yet? You are of course always welcome in any avathar you take!
    When I was a child (can you believe it?) there was no organised system for disposal of the fallen tooth. We just dumped it wherever it dislodged itself. I remember having thrown one of mine from a moving train! In my part of the country, the practice of making a hullabaloo at the fall of a tooth started during my grandchildren's growing up period. I used to marvel at the fuss that my daughters would make whenever a tooth fell! In my school, I have witnessed my enraged teachers knocked a few teeth of erring students!
    I have read a lot about Perez son of Judah but this rodent guy is new to me. Must catch with my reading!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

@jayasala42
    Just read it. It's lovely. You have a great way of narrating your thoughts. Put me at the top of all your fans.
    Sri

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

@joylokhi
    Dear joylokhi
    You never spoke a truer word my good friend!
    I am a foodie. Nothing will stop me from enjoying my food except occasional stomach problem!
    Sri

Thyagarajan and joylokhi like this.
  9. Cheeniya

@sangeethakripa
    Dear Sangeetha
    It is my turn to say OMG. It's very nice of you to have started your response with it.
    Honestly the feeling is mutual. He shone like a beacon in adverse circumstances, and he never failed to rise to his full potential when I ever tried to break a tough nut with my teeth. Oh, I miss him!
    Sri

Thyagarajan and sangeethakripa like this.
  10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear CS,

Whew!!! My BP kept soared to a pitch as I started reading, somewhere in between it decided to remain constant and finally, as I heaved a sigh of relief, it decided to come down and relax!!!

Dentists have been my Nemesis since I was around 8. Whether I wanted to or not, I had to visit them almost every year. As if that was not enough, my mom in her Eternal Wisdom decided that my teeth needed some alignment if she ever had to hope to get rid of me. So one year was spent going in and out of the orthodontist's office. Not that it worked such miracles after all!!! Four teeth were 'sacrificed' to quote the orthodontist to make space for my other fat teeth.

Sometime later on in life, having nothing more interesting to occupy my mind, I decided to count my teeth and to my utter amazement, I found I had 28. I was given to understand we have 28 + 4 wisdom teeth. 4 had gone. So the extra 4 were wisdom teeth. Pray, when had wisdom crept up on me so slyly? Now that she was discovered, Wisdom decided to slink out of my life and so it happened that all 4 wisdom teeth had to be extracted to 'save' the other teeth and to save me from the troubles brought on be excess Wisdom at too early an age!!!

My other teeth did not however relent, no matter how kindly they were treated and decided that a German dentist should be given the benefit of their existence when I was there in 2004. After my return, I might have gone 2 or 3 times to a dentist. Another visit is due, but I am holding to all the necessary equipment to ensure I enjoy my food for as long as possible. I hope my karma pertaining to dentists is done for this life and all lives to come!

Thyagarajan and Cheeniya like this.