1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Adhd Concern

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by beingmom, Oct 23, 2019.

1. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

OP,

@hermitcrab has ably covered the rest of the story. He can have the birthday cake if he wants :) just teach him to avoid the colored frosting. Have you ever touched that with your hand? the blue or pink will stain hand for a day or so even after washing with soap. Hermit: one comment - we used to use Tom's of Maine till some problem happened, dont remember exactly what. Now we use Colgate, white paste, not the blue gel and it's as good as Tom's.

OP, actually I came back to give the links. It drove me a little nuts but I just couldnt find it. It's been a while since I looked for this info and the website may be defunct. Anyway I found these links for you which approximately provide similar info-
    Do Food Dyes Affect Behavior? | Wellness Mama
    and this website describes some people who actually did an experiment about it
    Watch This: Foods With Additives & Dyes Affect Children's Behavior

This is also called feingold diet, after the doc who first sounded the alarm about food additives in the 70's. The Feingold diet is a lil more extreme but most parents have seen success with just eliminating food dyes, MSG and excess sugar from their children's diets.
    Dr. Ben F. Feingold - The Feingold Diet

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  2. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

True @1Sandhya I like colgate regular flavor. Tom’s has too many minty kinds, fennel flavor (hard to find) is nice though.

1Sandhya likes this.
  3. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

@beingmom
    Below is in my humble opinion only

You can go to doctor and get him evaluated but don’t go for any medicine yet.
    Most medicine loose their efficiency with time and either the dosage or strength, has to be increased. It is the case with most medicine.
    Adhd doesn’t go away and is a life long thing, so the medicine should be started much later. You should try to clean his diet and other methods. Adhd medicine increase focus like a very very strong coffee. So just like we start coffee in adult hood, the same way for adhd medicine. Like one gets used to coffee, the same way with any medicine. This also true for any ayurvedic medicine. Now, work on ‘elimination’ rather than ‘addition’. Any medicine is hard to come off so that should be last route.

If he is a challenge for teachers then they will press for diagnosis and medicine. Teach your child to cooperate and listen to teachers. This is very important. Work with him to complete school work at home. Make life easier for teachers

4. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

You can do research on food for ADHD. From my experience food plays major role in ADHD. But it all depends on individual kids. Bring a mom you know more than anyone for your little one. Just Google and research.