1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Adenoid Swelling - Any home remedy?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by swt.charu, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Hyacinth

Hyacinth Senior IL'ite

hi..
    Just wanted to check with you all....
    My son is 3 months old and he has got a flat nose, so me and mom try to pull it out while massaging during bath or any other time , say while feeding. What i wanted to know is, will this pulling of nose affect the adenoid glands and in turn lead to this swelling/damaging issue? One of my friends son has got adenoid, even she tried to pull her son's nose out when he was a baby, now he is 3 yrs old. Pls throw some light so I can stop doing this from now itself.

2. abinayasarvan

abinayasarvan New IL'ite

My son too has been diagonsed with enlarged adenoids...Surgery has been advised but they say its 50-50 i can go if i want to for surgery or i may delay it too....I wanted to now which doctor did u consult and if i opt for surgery what post operative care shld i expet..i mean how long does it take to heal and also what kind of food can he intake during the healing proocess..very worried any advice wld be a great help....

3. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

You can wait on the adenoidectomy, as this alone is not commonly performed (at least in the US) and is often combined with the tonsillectomy. From my own family experience, if the tonsils are also a big problem, then earlier is often better for removal. My niece had hers removed at 6 and had an easier recovery than my brother (12 years) or my father (51!! He was miserable, and so was my mom!)

After surgery, only liquids (preferably cool) for a day-juices, water, and the like. Avoid milk/dairy based drinks as these contribute to mucus production in the throat, and coughing will hurt! No carbonated beverages, as the bubbles will tickle (leading to coughing). After a day, soft foods like jello, fruit mashes, and ice pops are good. Veggie purees, mashed potatoes, soups, and mushy cereals are good. Again avoid dairy based foods. The foods should slide down the throat with little or no chewing required. Foods should be cold or warm, but not hot.

4. SaiNiharika

SaiNiharika Bronze IL'ite

Hello,

My kid is now 21 months old from 3 months while sleeping in nights he wakes suddenly and starts crying. He had no runny nose. He feels some disturbance in his nose. Daily at same time he starts crying. while sleeping we are hearing snoring sound, and he used to breath with his nose. We visited ENT doctor and he wrote some skull x-ray to test for adenoids. But my son is too small he did not support to take x-ray, ENT doctor said it seems to be adenoid and wrote a nasal spray(Physiomer Hypertonic spray) and a syrup (Levocetirizine & Monetelukast).
    I am daily giving that spray before sleep and middle of the sleep. Is this safe is this decreases enlarged adenoid. Is my child has really adenoid problem. I am in confusion please suggest best home remedies to how to avoid adenoids problem and increase immunity system. Please help me.

5. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

sysptoms of adenoids include snoring especially at night and frequent throat infections.

This x-ray thingy will clearly show the blockages due to enlarged adenoids.. I could see it myself when I first took the X Ray for my then 3 year old son...

As far as I know.. an enlarged gland does not shrink by any medication. It is either removed through surgery or your child outgrows the swelling. Homeopathic medicines did help me in controlling the effects of enlarged glands (like infections, low immunity etc)

My son is 9 year old now and I feel he really outgrew the swelling than anything else. They tend to get better around the age of 7