Adda Da Hangout!

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by justanothergirl, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

She decided to take some time away from IL. This is a busy year for her on the personal front. She had pretty compelling reasons so I didn't press her. I'll pass on your message.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  2. KeetuExP

KeetuExP New IL'ite

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

People are wearing it in TX! I see many around here.

CG - banned in school for inequality amongst kids. I felt that was not necessary. I mean, if my kid threw a fit for a CG or Moncler, I would make it a teaching moment. Go earn for your own parka and then buy it or just simply use the magic word. Say "no". What happened to the concept of accepting No? If we keep shading our kids from the hurt because they cannot get what others have, when will they learn?

MalStrom likes this.
  4. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I went to a school that required us to wear uniforms. It was a great equalizer. We didn't have our socioeconomic differences thrown in our faces as children.

Just last year an old classmate from school confided that she came from a very poor family and had attended our school on scholarship. She's doing very well financially now, but says the perceived equality helped her cope and retain her confidence.

I had hated the uniforms and longed for the freedom of dress that my American cousins enjoyed. Today I feel that if the restrictions against designer wear help one child escape bullying or a feeling of inferiority, they are totally worth it.

Laks09 likes this.
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I didn’t think of it in those terms. This is a different perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Btw, schools in India are very different from when I went to school. Kids come with iwatches. Kids are encouraged to bring laptops to school after a certain grade. Some kids have MacBook Pros. Some kids get everything from school bags to water bottles from their dads visiting the US. Even with uniforms, all those external factors are there. It’s definitely harder to raise secure kids these days.

Amica likes this.
  6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

:astonished: We sure grew up in simpler times.

Laks09 likes this.
  7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

9. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

10. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

@msm May I add my experience even though many months late? :)

That residue you speak of at the bottom of the ghee - was like GOLD growing up. Children of the household would be given dibs and we would devour it - in all it's salty glory mixed in with some steaming hot rice. And only if that forms at the bottom - that "sand like" consistency with a dark brown color along with the golden brown of the portion on top - was it considered as great ghee at home. If it didn't form - with the top liquid less than a golden brown - the ghee wouldn't get it's aromatic heavenly smell - and would just feel/taste plasticky - like a lot of the store-bought packaged ghee that is bright yellow in color (instead of golden). :)

Oh - forgot to add another thing - Mother would add a few drumstick leaves or curry leaves to the top of the ghee at the very end. When the final product was filtered to be stored in jars, the leaves and residue would remain - and tasted delicious when eaten with rice.

But now in my own household, I wonder about about the health-iness of that residue. So we still to eat it - but consider it a big treat - since I don't have the heart to throw it away. :-D

Afresh and Amica like this.