1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Activities for toddlers

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Sahmaara, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

Please throw in ideas of how to spend time and what activities/play games do you do with your toddler??

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

When my son was about 18-20 months old, I was not working.
    So to keep him entertained, I used to make pillow mountains and he would enjoy hours climbing on them

Now he is 3. Now-a-days in the evenings, it is generally a combination of some books, online games, role plays - like I am the tree and he is hanging on to me.
    I am the goat - firefighter. Mickey mouse.
    All the characters

Then the evergreen 'Ball throw' game always keep him entertained. Just that I get tired after a while

3. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

thanks for your tips...its just tht my baby is 13 months old and too young to understand role play etc. but yes i do ball throw and she finds it fun.
    my problem is i dont get tired, just short of ideas of what all activities i can do with her :)

4. asha_ram

asha_ram Silver IL'ite

hi

you can show animal/birds books to her and start teaching her. my kid identified dog, crow, cow when she was 1 yr. she would point it out.get her some toys that flashes light and sound. ask her to press the keys so that she does things on her own.

5. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sahmaara,

Some more I remember:

1. Give her small utensils likes cups, spoons which are not sharp edged. Putting them into a big container and taking it out keeps them busy and they enjoy it a lot

2. Playing in the bath tub is another fun time activity

3. Blowing bubbles. whatever is the age they enjoy. Infact I too enjoy blowing bubbles :rotfl

1 person likes this.
  6. plakshmi

plakshmi Gold IL'ite

hi

you can teach her where is your eyes, ears and other body parts if the child is in between 1 - 1 1/2 years.

you can play peek -a boo etc., . there are lot of flash cards available in the market related with colours. shapes etc.,

Even puzzles are also available. More than 2 years means you can engage them in drawing and painting etc.

lakshmi

7. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

thanks all for your great tips...have good great ideas here..will sure try them

8. Harsinismom

Harsinismom Junior IL'ite

You can also try teaching you kid, the animals and the sounds they make....They would be intrested in listening to the sounds of animals. like Cow says Maaa/ Mooo. Sheep says Baa baa and so on.
    I started with the sounds of animals, my daughter enjoyed them a lot....

9. mylovingson

mylovingson New IL'ite

Hi SAHMAARA,

I am engaging my 14 month son for 20 to 30 minutes everyday in You tube nursery rhymes and other videos where the kids sing some rhymes in local languages etc., My son enjoys them a lot but pls dont make them watch these for a long time as kids may become addicted to it. So, just for about 30 minutes a day, should be fine.

Also my son enjoys a lot playing PEEK A BOO with a blanket and also sometimes play hide and seek. Of course, i do hide and call him , by keeping an eye on him and he comes searching for me and once he sees me, he is the happiest person on the world :)...

And try introducing a shape sorter or stacking kind of a toy which will be quite engaging to them ..

--Keerthi

10. preeeti

preeeti New IL'ite

hello dear,
    All your 13 months old requires is LOts of Your time and anything that you do with the baby becomes a play.
    But more specifically, as all the friends who have suggested such wonderful games, you can add One more important thing to your dAILY routine that is READING STORIES TO YOU LITTLE ONE. This will boost language skill, creativity and books with big clear pictures and re-visiting them again n again will make a good impression to the foundation of memorising those things.

Kitchen utensils and making music is fun. Sand castles if u have beach around, ball throwing, putting up charts of SHapes, colors, numbers, alphabets and pointing out to them each time you are around in that corner of the room. Showing the baby first things n then asking her if she can point out, that way u know if she is grasping things n memorising them.
    Block building, crushing paper with hands to develop motor skills, giving her/him chapati attta to dig her/his hands into but under supervision.
    Infact your baby will direct you and you just have to play along.
    regds,
    Preeti