Acharyals Related Posts

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by kb2000, Jan 8, 2007.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

The Shakthi Of Our Shastras By Periyava

[​IMG]

What has periyava to tell about children being educated about our culture?

In western countries the children are not exposed to other cultures easily
    Whereas it has been a misfortune that the schools started during the britishers rules brought about a change where our culture lost its authenticity and exposure with our children..

Thinking about the welfare of our children we could not help them develop our culture during their study period, and this led to our children loosing faith in our culture.
    The very nuance is lost about the perceptiveness this led them to think they can handle it the way they think is right and have started ridiculing it saying there is no proof to any of these blind belief faiths.

How do we help our children to have faith and appreciation for our culture?

We have to inculcate a pride in our faith and culture; we have to set examples by following our culture, and there by teach the honest approach of life. The true life of purity and practical experience enlightened by our age old rishis in the granths should be imparted to the young mind, and show the only way to enlightenment is to follow these which are very proficient and superior.

Global development and enlistment of community and the peace of soul were the intrinsic worth imparted by our great rishis should reach the present children, raise their awareness to rise above the present luxurious existence and look into our age old customs to improve the quality of their life in future…sunkan

source is from kalki magazine translated into english for you here by sunkan

2. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

HH is very apt. You can see the significance of his words outside India (more so because of lack of family support)

That is the reason why our kids in Oz are called ABCDs (Aussie born confused Desis)

3. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing this incident with us. This is an excellent example for - having pure thoughts. What is the use of doing that "Rudhrabhishekam"? Though it was a good deed, it wasn't done with a pure thought.

I am recollecting the "Adhirudhra Mahayagnam" performed by Bagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba at Chennai during January 2007. Swami arranged 101 priests to chant rudhram and perform yagna.

During poornahooti the 101 priests were honoured with clothes, charity (dhaanam) and money. It was spectacular!

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

[​IMG]
    It is not clear to my mind if this incident happened at the SriMaTham camp in Trichy National College High School campus, or Madurai Sethupathi High School campus.

[​IMG]

The darshan queue was stopped from moving because of some important deliberation that was going on inside the SriMaTham camp. An old woman was standing in the queue. She can be described as the oldest among of old women!(Paattikke' Paatti!-- Baammakki Baamma!) She could have been over a hundred years old, standing bent at a right-angle, a staff in her hand that she was holding shakily. She was crying with all the tiredness of her soul: "Sankara, my Sankara! I was agitated if I would see you, or leave this world without seeing you. You came seeking this place! Since you have come, I came to have your darshan, but you have stopped me (nirutthi vecchu-tiyedaa) Sankara!"

[​IMG]

Sri Sambha Murthi SastrigaL was going inside the camp, passing the old woman on his way. He was the pUrvAshrama younger brother of Maha PeriyavaL. He was of a kind heart, true to the family blood that coursed his veins. No sooner he heard the old woman's wail of yearning than he hastened his steps towards the interior. As he entered, he told Sri CaraNar who was immersed in an important delibration, "Outside--a Paatti--of a hundred or hundred and twenty or whatever age. Stands yearning and wailing for Periyavaa's darshan."
    [​IMG]

Before the last words were out of his mouth, PeriyavaaL stormed outside!

[​IMG]
    paramAchAryA engaged in dhyAnA

"Why have you stopped me, Sankara?" The Paatti was wailing repeatedly. He went to her, stood very near to her and said, "PaattI, here your Sankaran has come. Look! Without knowing that you have come, I was busy with something inside. And as I came to know it, here I have come running." The 'Ruler of Grace' spoke the words of nectar, which came up as the essence of his love.

[​IMG]

"Vanduttiya, Sankara (so you have come, Sankara)!", said Paatti and held his hands tightly! The hands that were held by his mother Mahalakshmi AmmaL, were held today by another person, after a span of about 55 years!

As she raised her face and looked at the holy visage of Sri CaraNar, the vRiddhAmbikA (the good old mother) said, "Though you have come running for my sake and stand before me, I cannot look at you properly with my dim eyesight! ennappA (my son), only you should give me some good sight for a good darshan."

It was the time of a hot sun. There was a narrow, thatched roof over the heads of the people in the queue. At Paatti's words, the bhakta parAdhIna jumped aside the shelter of the roof and stood in the hot son, barefooted!

"Is the vision better now, Paatti?" he said.

"It shows up very well ennappA, it shows very well!" Paatti patted her cheeks loudly with veneration and awe at her sudden vision.

PeriyavaaL gave her a complete darshan of his person, letting sunlight fall well on his face, tilting it, lifting it, and turning it in many angles, even turning his whole body giving her a darshan of his back.

In a torrent of emotion, without knowing what she spoke, the old woman stuttered, lisped, cried profusely and was in a divine ecstacy!

Sri CaraNar came near her again and said, "Have you seen me well Paatti! Can I go?"

"Yes, I have seen you very well (PAtthuNtempa), my son! Even for this anAmadeyam (nonentity), KaruNAmurti, you have given your darshan. I was holding my soul just to see you. I have seen you know. Take me now my son, take me!I have no desire to live any longer" The parama bhaktamatha prayed to him.

[​IMG]

"PaattI! When the time comes, let us take it. I shall ask you now to be taken to your home with caution and care as your age is advanced. Go there and remain in Swami smaraNa (remembrance of God). Please don't come running again to see me! I shall always be with you without leaving you aside for a moment!This is my promise and you can also test it if you want" The kRupA varShA (shower of compassion) gave her His word, thus.

Is there anything that matches the bhAgyam of the Paatti who received such words of assurance from Sri CaraNar who out of his modesty uses words only sparingly when he gives his abhayam to the bhaktas?Never has he said to any other devotee thus and that to by way of a promise.

All the people who were witness to this scene were awe-struck at the sudden appearance of the mahatmA unbeckoned, giving eye-sight to the old lady and also promising to be near Her as and when She needed.
    namo-namaste' -siva-kAmakOti!
    Yours Yogically,
    Shreeram Balijepalli
    [​IMG]

Glossary:
    ambikA - mother, good woman
    kRpA - tenderness, compassion
    parAdhIna - entirely engaged in or intent upon or devoted to
    pUrvAshrama - of an earlier ashram or stage, before the sanyAsa stage
    smaraNa - remembrance, reminiscence, recollection
    varSa - rain, shower
    vR^iddhA - old woman

[FONT='Californian FB','serif']devotee:.... .. A very old woman (Paatti)
    author:..... .. Raa. Ganapathi
    source:..... .. KaruNaikkadalil sila alaigaL, pages 77-80
    publisher:.. .. Divya Vidya Padhippaham (Jun. 2005 Edition)
    type:....... .. book, Tamil
    [/FONT]

5. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sundari,

Going thru this, tears started rolling down my eyes. It was really great of the Mahatma to give the Patti this kind of promise & darshan.

And great is also your work in bringing this to us.

Thanx a lot dear !!!

6. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

happy u saw this lalitha,
    i was under the fear that many may not see it as it does not have a new title..sunkan

7. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sundari,

What you say is correct. I stumbled upon this accidentally, but now I know so I will keep a track on this.

Thanx for all the effort.

8. subbi

subbi New IL'ite

Re: Value Of Annadhanam By Mahaperiyava

dear sunken
    THANK YOU very much for the excellent post.please post all the incidents connected
    with mahaswami.i just do not know how to express my happiness
    subbi

9. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sundari

Many thanks for the story of the Old lady's darshan of MahaPeriyava. His karunyam is boundless and we never get tired of anecdotes involving Periyava.

Kudos to your effort and thanks for the awesome illustration of the two incidents on the importance of Anna dhanam.

Kamala, your ideas are great and nice to know about your daughter's teacher's suggestion. She is indeed noble.

-Gayathri.

10. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

The Extra Nayanmar

[​IMG]
    Periyava​
    In my series of stories of Sri Sri Chandrashekarendra Swamigal(Periyawa) .One real story which happened some years is narrated below:(Source is as before Tamil mutt clarion-text- - Devivathin Kural)
    There was a bank director in Paris,France. He was keen on having a darshan of Periyava, having heard about him. Dr. Raghavan used to receive frequent phone calls (from the bank director). He would ask if he could come and have a darshan of Periyava. Dr. Raghavan (who was a Sanskrit professor in the Madras University) would inform Periyava about the request. Even though he had told, "He is very keen to have darshan of Periyava; he incessently calls me", PeriyavargaL did not give his consent. Some years passed in this way.

[​IMG]

Suddenly one day Dr. Raghavan received tidings that said, 'I have arrived at Bombay. I shall come over to Madras and meet you. Should please arrange for the darshan.'

At that time Acharyas were staying in Mylapore Sanskrit College. One evening Dr. Raghavan was waiting to have darshan of Periyava. Periyava called him and inquired. When told about the Frechman's proposed visit to Chennai, Periyava looked at him intently for a moment then looked elsewhere at a distance as if talking to someone mentally and then said, "Alright, bring him."

[​IMG]
    periyava

Before Periyava sat for the upanyAsam after the puja, he called one of the mutt-inmates and said, "If any European turns up, offer him on a chair, as he would not be able to sit on the floor. I shall see him after the upanyAsam."

When the upanyAsam was over and Periyava was about to get inside, he asked, "Did anyone turn up?" "No one turned up", I replied. At that time a man wearing a dhoti and towel came to the front and prostrated to Periyava four times. (The sampradaya is to always prostrate to sannyAsis four times.)

Behind the man came Dr. Raghavan and SankaraNarayana Aiyer (professor of Philosophy at Mylai Vivekananda College). Since that European came in dhoti and towel the mutt-inmate was misled.
    PeriyavargaL enquired the mutt-inmate, "Ask him how did he knew about prostrating four times?"
    The Eurpoean said, "I did as everyone did here."

PeriyavargaL directed the mutt-inmate, "Bring only the Frenchman."

The mutt-inmate said, "I wouldn't understand the English he speaks. It would be better if Dr. Raghavan or SanakaraNarayana Aiyer is present."

"The English you know would suffice. You bring him," quipped Periyava.

Dr. Raghavan and SankaraNarayana Aiyer stood outside the thatti (a coconut leaf weaved sheet of cover).

The Frenchman who came inside and sat spoke: "I am studying Vedanta for sometime now. Suddenly, one day I felt that my entire body had gone numb, that I was residing outside the body, and my figure was extended from the earth to the sky. I also saw universes hanging from my body. It was very blissful at that time. There was no trace of sorrow. After this incident, nothing bothers my mind in my daily life. My wife deceased. My son too is dead. These occasions did not create any ripple in my mind, I felt that Iam not connected with anyone of them. I was always blissful.Since, Iam alien to all these, I request your guidance....

(He paused for a moment....)

Also, people in the bank think I am insane, looking at this mental state of mine. So I have an inherent fear that one day they might put me behind the bars (of a hospital)."

Periyava uttered cryptically with love beaming in his face and a strange kind of admiration at the Whiteman, "What is inside? And what is outside? Isn't everything inside four walls?"

This question seemed to created a big change in the Frenchman.His eyes were seen brimming with tears as if he was one with the universe represented by the Pontiff.

There was a pregnant pause, not a leaf whispered...
    Then he composed himself and requested Periyava, "You should be always with me."
    He also asked Periyava to proffer him some upadesham.

Periyava adviced, "What you are doing now (meditation) , you continue. I shall be with you till your attainment.This is my promise."

[​IMG]
    He then as a rare gesture of benediction, tore a piece of the wornout khadi spun-vastram he was wearing then and gave it to the Frenchman with the words, "Keep this always with you as my prasAdam(holy sacrament)."
    Such was the bountiful heap of anugraha for the Frenchman that day that he was inebriated with joy as he left the mutt.

Coming outside, the Frenchman prostrated to Dr. Raghavan and said, "It was only because of you I got this much bhAgyaM(pronouncing the word Bhaagyam with great difficulty)."

Periyava went to bed after they were gone after some period of silence and rumination.He shifted his glasses which he rarely wore for sometime and placed it down and was preparing his small bedsheet to sleep. After he retired, the mutt-inmate asked about the incident and why this grace to a whiteman whether he was really worth as many of the westerners having euphoric feelings construe it as something great.

Without replying anything to him, Periyava lapsed into sleep.

He called him(the mutt-inmate) the next morning before he started his one hour japam. He asked me, "Do you know how many Nayanmars(Top- most shivite siddhas respected for their high spiritual status and shiva-bhakthi in Tamizhnadu) are there?"

He replied replied, "The Arupatthu Moover Utsavam is held (every year)! So, only sixty-three. This is but obvious even a child in Tamizhnadu can answer this."

"Go to the Kapaleeswarar temple(near Mylapore Sanskrit Temple), count and come back," he said.

[​IMG]
    When he did it, he counted sixty-seven to his consternation. He told this to Periyava.(** Infact, after hearing this story, I(Author-Shreeram Balijepalli) too went to the temple and counted it, though hitherto, I had been offering Vilva patra(Bel leaves) to each Nayanmar but always used to assume like the mutt-inmate it was 63 nayanmars)

"Who are those four people in excess?" he asked the mutt-inmate.

He went back to the temple, inquired and came back. "One of them is the 'appAlum adi sarndharukku adiyAr!'" He said.

PeriyavargaL graced me with the knowledge, "appAl is those who are beyond desam(country) and kAlam(time). Since the element of time is involved, it also refers to the adiyArs to be born in the hereafter(in the future). This man is beyond desam(France). He has just four janmas(the future birth when he would become a Nayanmar) left."

This left the mutt-inmate speechless. The Frenchman was never to be seen again both in his country and in India.

Yours Yogically,