Account Hacking By Date Of Birth?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Needtobestrong, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I saw a forward recently that we shouldn’t reveal our date of birth on social media..
    Like hackers use the phone number and DOB info to order a duplicate PAN card, then use that PAN card to get a duplicate SIM, Block existing SIM and use sim for generating OTPs for fraudulent transactions...
    How far is this true?
    Does this kind of fraud thing happen with other accounts too?
    Don’t remember the source, as I deleted the original message got as forward...

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I’m not sure about the hacking but I am paranoid when it comes to social media. I have my birthday listed but with a different year.

Needtobestrong likes this.
  3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Yes Birthdate is confidential info in lot of countries. In All Europe and USA. Not good to expose in social media including linkedin.

4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

This Modus operandi has been in use at least since fifteen years, when the big shops and textile centres at T. Nagar in chennai were collecting information from customers to hand over them a bonus cum discount card and award encahsable credit points for purchases and send greetings and product literature on birth anniversaries.

Behind the scene, an agent was collecting & selling this data to professional hackers and then they used the method op described here to siphon out money by online transfer from bank accounts. Dob and phone they collect and get pan number from income tax department website.

I had cautioned my family and friends not to fall for bonus cards etc and never be guarded to give out these two particulars together.

Regards.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:When debit card gets stuck in the machine, another person will rush to your chamber enquiring what happened and advise you retry the pin. This moment one should be closely guarded.
    • Tell the stranger politely to quit the ATM kiosk AND then in his absence look into the slot closely for transparent tape stuck into the slot and outside the slot as well. The card must be in this small transparent plastic pouch hindering card from communicating with machine. Remove the tape along with card and get out fast from the scene. The person who masterminded this must be watching from a distance would be disappointed.

• In case You acceded to his suggestion and retry PIN, STEALTHILY HE HAD GLANCED IT memorised and quit the scene. When u leave the kiosk leaving wondering how to retrieve the card, you are watched for your disappearance . The moment you vanished from vicinity the man would come quickly would retrieve the card and use another ATM machine in another area with known Pin before you get the card hot listed. NOTE ALSO THE MAN WOULD all the time wearing his helmet! That must be the clue.
    In this context, story in the link below would be of interest:

Chess With My Pin

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020