1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Accidents Despite Guest-proofing Of The Home

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Nonya, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Some house-guests want to show that they are useful to their hosts, and they get in the way, and even cause mayhem in trying to help with whatever the hosts do in their own home. If the "guests" happen to be in-laws, there is an added dimension of stress to the event, and its aftermath in the long-term relationship with them.

This is a thread where you can relate your experience of what happened when you hosted someone -- a friend(who became an ex-friend), or your in-laws (with whatever consequences).

I had once lost some really nice bath towels, when a house guest decided to wash them in the machine with their own new clothes that ran colors. They had thought they were helping, but they were only gaining unfriending points.

There was another incident when the in-laws who decided to help with the dishwashing (when we were at work, and they were supposedly sleeping to get over the jetlag) used regular dishwashing liquid in the dishwashing machine, and flooded the kitchen with the foam that came out of the machine. They had opened the door of the machine "to see what was wrong", and had the water get all over the kitchen (wood) floor, which seeped to the floor below as well. It is surprising that no one went to the slammer for manslaughter. Twenty with parole after ten for good behavior, was the mandatory sentencing rule that time.

What had you suffered from a house guest ? Did anyone set fire to your cat? Annoyed your dog to get her to bite their child?

Tell all, and it could be just the relief you need.
    Cathartic is the fancy word for such a thing.

BhumiBabe, SGBV, Amica and 2 others like this.

2. MaruthiRao

MaruthiRao Silver IL'ite

Well this is really an interesting thread to count on, atleast i never came across such horrible or weird situations, i will surely post if i have to ever experience the odd times, hopefully not:)

3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

My house is totally guest-proof. They get eloctrocuted right at the fence.:cool:

yesican, Chiu, iamsrihere and 9 others like this.
  4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

A) Chocolate chip cookies smeared on my cream colored dining chair cushion pads
    B) Scratches on my wall because people have not been careful when opening suitcases next to it .
    No one has messed with my dishwasher or washer/ dryer. Just one guest ( distant relative ) that gave me a pile of dirty clothes , underwear included and told me to do the laundry ( while they were sightseeing) . The sights I saw were good enough to scar me for life .

yesican, BhumiBabe, Rihana and 3 others like this.
  5. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

hmm well i can relate ..one friend of mine came with family and they were evil eyeing everything... and in the same year a major tragic event took place... and still the ill effects are there..

yesican and Nonya like this.
  6. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

I have always wondered what would happen if one uses regular dishwashing liquid in dishwasher ;).

Sandycandy and Nonya like this.
  7. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

I have had people over and things broken, but everything that broke has been replaceable!

I remember an incident where I was the guest in question... my cousin's house was about to go on the market in 2 weeks and I was playing hide-and-seek with the kids. In a bid to enter the house, I shoved open the door while there was a strong gust of wind that also pushed it, that the door went and slammed on to the wall behind. There was hole on the wall in the shape of the latch (the kind that looks like a lever and you have to pull it down to open the door)!! They did not disown me or anything. We laughed about it and started googling on ideas to fix it.

Nonya and Amica like this.
  8. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

Forget guestProofing, this happened with me, I had come newly married and was warned by DH NOT to use regular dishwashing liquid in the dishwasher. We had run out of the dishwasher liquid and somehow I thought using a tiny quantity of the regular one will be OKAY. I wonder why your dishwasher did not drain immediately. Usually they drain before you open them.. I had to face the wrath of DH for the same for days even the mess wasn't so bad. There were other things that totally blew me off(from the permanent guests) - not washing glasses used and keeping them back like they were new(supposedly drinking water is fine and the glass need not be washed)/and then shouting on trying to wash them. Handing Ensure as a "soft drink" to somebody I knew without asking me. Making mean faces when somebody came to the house without acknowledging that they are guests. Putting half dried clothes for the SAME amount of dryer time as a full load for the second time - the clothes got so hot they had holes. Seeing the damage and behaving as though nothing happened and not wanting to take inputs about the same NOR allowing me to wash my clothes myself. It required months of waiting and lots of consistent damage to make DH see the point. Throwing combed hairs on the carpet, rubbing dirty hands on the couch thinking no one is watching. And finally behaving like a victim while bossing around and doing the damage and even being angry and unhappy about the same - for taking alternative action to prevent the damage.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    yesican, Sandycandy and Sunshine04 like this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

No dishwasher story, but guests insist on rinsing their plates in the sink.. by the time I can excuse myself from the table or elsewhere and get to the sink where they are rinsing plate in spite of being profusely requested moments ago not to do that... I get there and they are cleaning the plate in the empty half of the sink.. the curry leave, tomato skins, green chillies stalks, are going into the drain that does not have garbage disposal. I have considered putting a yellow "CAUTION" ribbon around the sink at times. But, if you are even a little firm in asking guests not to rinse plates, you get labelled picky. And all that hardwork you put in hosting them goes up in thin air. I wish guests left plates and dishes in/near the sink, and don't turn on the tap.

Guests who are staying for 3-4 days or more, I expect them to understand when told ONCE that hands and mouth are not to be washed in the kitchen sink. Nope. They will wash their only, and then look around for towel. The kitchen towels are far away near the oven. They take dripping hands slowly to the towel area, chatting away, and wipe hands in kitchen towel, and then, wipe mouth/face also.

Another horror story I will never forget is brand new mattress. Guests had 6 year old boy. I had a brand new thick mattress topper plus protector. So, what is the problem? Kid had a peeing accident in bed in the night. So, mattress pad, sheets, comforter all need to be washed. No problem.. my kids were also young once. But: guest didn't tell it happened. When leaving after lunch, she tells: "oh btw... K had an accident last night.." I couldn't help a "oh I would have started laundry...", she says " i thought you will anyway be doing the laundry after we leave....." !!! Why not put the soiled bed linen and pad in washer right away? or tell me? The pad needed air drying which I like to do outside in the sun. Lost so many sunlight hours.

Though, with age comes acceptance. : ) Now, if they don't set the house on fire, I am OK with anything.

amunique and Sandycandy like this.
  10. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I can't recall any major disasters off-hand, but ...

At a backyard party in our home one summer, I noticed one of the guests had been indoors for an awfully long time. I went in to check on her and make sure she was okay. I found her in the kitchen, carefully hand-washing and drying the Solo cups. :expressionless: