Absent Nasal Bone At 12w4d

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Shri211, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Shri211

Shri211 Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,

I had my NT scan this week. All looked good. The Nuchal thickness is around 1.4mm - 1.6mm, baby is measuring good, heartbeat is around 162.. the associated bloodwork also puts me at low risk. But the sonographer couldn't locate the nasal bone. She could see a light line but not as bright as they would like.
    I had done my NIPT Panaroma test at 10 weeks which tests the fetal DNA chromosomes for any chromosomal abnormalities..those results came out as low risk as they are almost 99.5 percent accurate...doctor feels it's probably nothing but just delayed calcification of the nasal bone....but I am soo worried as in most cases absent nasal bone is associated with Downs syndrome..

Haa anyone else experienced this or heard of this?

2. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

I am sure if your doctor has reviewed about the test results and have discussed regarding it with you and reassured you, I feel you should go with it.

As the doctors have felt that it is a possibility for delayed calcification as other chromosomal studies are fine, be reassured. Keep confidence on them, if required rebook another appointment and discuss again.

Relax, and take care,
    Vaidehi

Shri211 likes this.
  3. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Even I feel you should relax. It should be OK. In the next scan it will be all good dear. Don't worry. Be positive.

Shri211 likes this.
  4. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP, its just 12 weeks, so don't worry.....just go by what doctors say and wait for the next scan.....

Just relax and concentrate on your health....

Shri211 likes this.
  5. Sunsree

Sunsree New IL'ite

6. nekkanti

nekkanti Bronze IL'ite

Doctors these days are rushing in to scans early.. 20th week scan should give a correct picture

7. Sunsree

Sunsree New IL'ite

Hi Shri211

Presently we r experiencing same situation. .I m at 29 weeks now...had NT Scan at 20 week...reported absent nasal bone..I had amnio and result is normal...Doctors saying that it is delayed ossification...we are not getting sleep ....anybody had the same situation. .plz post...

8. Shri211

Shri211 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sunsree,

I totally understand your concerns, but if you have got done with your amniocentesis then you should try and relax a bit. Amniocentesis is 100℅ accurate. It not only checks for Downs, but all other genetic issues. It probably is nothing but delayed calcification..

Did you get any scan done after 20 week? Maybe another scan can put your mind to rest.

Take care

9. Sunsree

Sunsree New IL'ite

We will have another scan later this week...have u had amnio..what is your drs suggestions.

10. Shri211

Shri211 Bronze IL'ite

I didn't have amniocentesis...I had the Noninvasive prenatal testing (NIPT) at 10 weeks ..it checks for the three main chromosome problems.. T13,T18, T21 and has about 99.5℅ accuracy...
    I had another scan at 16 weeks, when they could locate the nasal bone.
    Sometimes it also depends on the sonographer doing the ultrasound to locate the nasal bone...btw did they see a nasal bone in your case at 12 week scan?