About the "You might find these useful" links.

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback!' started by Gauri03, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I recently noticed that the original post in all threads seems to include links to other 'similar' topics, under the title, 'You might find these useful'. I personally find these links very distracting and not very useful. The posts linked to are quite often completely irrelevant to the thread they are posted in. I am assuming these links are aggregated automatically by some kind of keyword matching recommendation system. I think the system needs a lot more work to be able to present truly relevant recommendations.

I understand some people might actually appreciate the feature. Any possibility we could get a user-controlled setting to turn these on and off depending on whether we want them or not?

6 people like this.

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

And there it is! ^ The first recommendation is a thread on tinted moisturizers. Explains my point better than anything I could write. :)

4 people like this.
  3. RiddhimaT

RiddhimaT Platinum IL'ite

Hi Gauri,

I agree with your viewpoint but please be informed, this is a test run for some analysis.
    Try it for some threads and let us know if you find the links useful or no.

Feel free to put in your feedback both positive as well as negative for the same.

Thanks.

4. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Gauri, thanks for the feedback. Yeah, this recommendation system needs some work. The basic issue is that the keyword it picks to find relevant threads is sometimes incorrect.

For example, in the thread "when is navarathri", if it incorrectly takes the keyword as "when is" instead of "navarathri", it pull up all threads that has "when is" like "when is valentine's day" etc. That becomes irrelevant for someone looking for navarathri content.

But in some places, it works beautifully. See this thread - Challenges of Fertility and how to overcome to achieve parenthood-Part 1

Another thing is also its placement. We are exploring if we should make it separate enough (with some dotter box around it or something) so that it is visually better. So, please bear with us as we figure out how to make it work better.