1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

A_Z crochet tutorial lessons

Discussion in 'Knitting & Crochet' started by sandh, Jun 3, 2010.

1. narmadaysr

narmadaysr Bronze IL'ite

Sandhya,
    This is a too good explanation. I could understand the way you are explaining very clearly. I will put forward my doubts related to the bag pattern you shared. I'm confident that those can be cleared very easily now.
    I agree with you that the bag pattern is tough for me. I felt the same in the first look but let me try that with your help I might make it. Keep adding more to the tutorials. It is very clear and helpful to ppl like me. Thanks once again for providing me the link.

With best wishes
    Narmada

2. sandh

sandh IL Hall of Fame

3. sandh

sandh IL Hall of Fame

hai friends now we can learn the half double crochet stich
    Step 1: Yarn over hook (wrap yarn from back to front around the hook) once just below hook opening.

Step 2: Keeping working yarn behind work, insert hook into the stitch indicated by the instruction. Yarn over to create a loop on the hook (wrap yarn around hook from back to front into hook opening).

Step 3: Pull loop on hook through so that there are now 3 loops on the hook.

TIP: If working in a chain, it is helpful to keep tension on the chain with thumb and forefinger of your hand opposite the hook so that the hook slides through easily.

Step 4: Bring yarn over hook again, from back to front so that yarn engages in hook opening.

Step 5: Draw loop through all of the loops on the hook. This completes the half double crochet stitch.

TIP: Twist hook so that hook opening faces downwards when drawing through the loops on the hook.

Attached Files:

4. sandh

sandh IL Hall of Fame

5. narmadaysr

narmadaysr Bronze IL'ite

Sandhya,
    The latest one you added is very good. That was a good looking sofa for tissu papers. We can place that is car.. WOW you have brilliant ideas in crochet and you have an open mind to share those ideas with all. That is the beauty.
    You know I started the bag. I mean I was doing the ground work for now to practice all the normal and special stiches mentioned. It took more time for me to under stand that FPDC. But now I'm clear and started the bag ofcourse at the initial rows only. Hope will share the results soon.
    I seriously feel if I do what you did till now that would be enough for me for life time on crochet works. As I already mentioned FIDAaaaaa on your works :bowdown.

Keep adding
    with best wishes
    Narmada

6. sandh

sandh IL Hall of Fame

Hai narmada..............iam very happy to read your comments.your work started na.good job.now you learned front post dc.great.you know first time when i read in a pattern fpdc,i worked in frontloop dc.later i understand the difference between them.now you can easily finish that bag.you have little boring while you make the straps.any way best wishes.iam eagerly waiting to see your bag.what color are you selected for doing bag?if any help i will be with you.sandhya:thumbsup

7. mohantina

mohantina Senior IL'ite

hi sandhya...i am waiting your post regarding how to read crochet stiches..

8. sandh

sandh IL Hall of Fame

Hai friends here we can learn about how to read the crochet patterns

Crochet patterns have their own special shorthand that can be intimidating to beginners, but it is easy space. The abbreviations used are usually listed
    at the end of the pattern, but some common ones are ch (chain), sc (single crochet), and dc (double crochet).

Example:
    Ch 12 = chain 12.

Second, crochet pattern directions are written by the row or round, since crochet is always worked either in rows or in rounds. In most patterns, you
    will be asked to “turn” the work before moving on to the next row. This simply means that you flip the work over so the backside is facing you before
    moving on. The step ends with the number of stitches you should have once the row or round is completed. For patterns that call for periodic increases
    and decreases in stitch numbers, it is always a good idea to count your stitches before moving on to the next step.

Example:
    Row 1. Sc in each ch across. 12 sc.

The last and most confusing part of crochet patterns is the symbols used. Some parts of the instructions may be given in (parentheses) or [brackets];
    these are sets of instructions that are either intended to be worked together as one collective stitch, or that are intended to be repeated a given
    number of times before moving on to the next part of the instructions.

Example:
    Row 5. Ch 2; turn. (Sc, ch 1, sc) in each ch-1 space across.

Sometimes an asterisk* will appear before certain parts of the pattern. This indicates that the instructions following the asterisk will be repeated within
    the same row.

Example:
    Row 10. Ch 2; turn. Skip first sc, *sc in next sc, skip ch-1 space, sc in next sc; repeat from * across.

Once the pattern terminology is broken down, it should be easy to figure out what the pattern is asking you to do. Just take it one stitch, one bracket,
    one row at a time.

if any doubt i will help you.sandhya

9. sandh

sandh IL Hall of Fame

Here is detailed

Learning to read crochet patterns
    Written by Brenda Stratton

The key element in learning to read crochet patterns is understanding the writing style, which includes the crochet abbreviations and symbols included for your convenience at the end of this article. It's not necessary to learn the abbreviations and symbols all at once, but refer to the lists as you find these terms listed in your crochet patterns.

Some things to remember when reading crochet patterns:

Crochet patterns are worked in either rows or rounds (rnds). Each pattern will specify whether you are working in rows, rounds or a combination of both.
    Most crochet patterns are rated according to level of difficulty, including beginner, easy, intermediate and advanced. Choose the level of difficulty most suited to your crochet abilities. Avoid the frustration in trying to work with a crochet pattern that is too advanced. As you gain more crochet experience, you will be able to successfully tackle more difficult patterns.
    It is important to count your stitches as you work so you have as many stitches on each row or round as the pattern indicates.
    Always check your gauge. While it may not be so important if you are making a project for which you have an unending supply of yarn or thread and feel it isn’t important what size it turns out to be, you will be setting yourself up for disappointment if you are making a project that needs to be the size indicated in the pattern. To check your gauge, crochet a swatch approximately 4 inches by 4 inches in the stitch pattern used in the crochet instructions. If your gauge is larger than the gauge indicated in the pattern, try a smaller hook. If your gauge is smaller, try a larger hook.
    Reading crochet patterns takes practice, so don’t be discouraged in the beginning if you don’t understand all of the patterns you would like to crochet. The more you practice, the easier it becomes. Before long, you’ll be able to follow any crochet pattern you wish.
    You may find it helpful to take a class in learning to crochet. Check with local craft stores and continuing education centers to see what is available. If you have a friend who crochets, he or she may be willing to get you started.
    To most beginners, a pattern written in standard crochet abbreviations looks like a foreign language. To help simplify things, we’ve given two rows of a single pattern written first in standard crochet abbreviations, then repeated in standard English. As you can see, writing a pattern in standard crochet abbreviations takes up a great deal less room and helps you to focus on the instructions.

Written in standard crochet abbreviations, row 1 looks like this:

Row 1: With size H hook, ch 15, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn.

(14 sc)

Now, written in standard English, row 1 looks like this:

Row 1: Using a size H crochet hook, make 15 chain stitches, single crochet in the second chain stitch from the hook and in each chain stitch across, turn. (There are 14 single crochets at the end of this row.)

After completing row 1, proceed to row 2. Written in standard crochet abbreviations, it looks like this:

Row 2: Ch 1, 2 sc in first sc, sc in each rem sc across to last sc, 2 sc in last sc, turn. (16 sc)

Written in standard English, row 2 looks like this:

Row 2: Chain 1, work 2 single crochets in the first single crochet of row 1, work a single crochet in each remaining single crochet of row 1 except for the last single crochet; work 2 single crochets in the last single crochet of row 1, turn. (You have increased 1 stitch in the first single crochet of this row and 1 stitch in the last single crochet of this row for a total of 2 increased stitches. There are 16 single crochets at the end of this row.)

Refer to this site often for lists of abbreviations and symbols, videos and explanations of individual stitches and helpful tips and hints. Armed with these tools, the desire to learn and a little patience, you’ll soon be on your way to reading crochet patterns!

Abbreviations, Symbols and Additional Terminology

Abbreviations

beg....................... begin/beginning
    bpdc..................... back post double crochet
    bpsc...................... back post single crochet
    bptr....................... back post treble crochet
    CC......................... contrasting color
    ch.......................... chain stitch
    ch-......................... refers to chain or space previously made (i.e. ch-1 space)
    ch sp..................... chain space
    cl........................... cluster
    cm......................... centimeter(s)
    dc......................... double crochet
    dc dec................... double crochet 2 or more stitches together, as indicated
    dec........................ decrease/decreases/decreasing
    dtr......................... double treble crochet
    fpdc...................... front post double crochet
    fpsc...................... front post single crochet
    fptr........................ front post treble crochet
    g........................... grams
    hdc........................ half double crochet
    hdc dec................. half double crochet (decrease) 2 or more stitches together, as indicated
    inc......................... increase/increases/increasing
    lp(s)....................... loops(s)
    MC........................ main color
    mm........................ millimeter(s)
    oz.......................... ounce(s)
    pc......................... popcorn
    rem........................ remain/remaining
    rep........................ repeat(s)
    rnd(s)..................... round(s)
    RS......................... right side
    sc.......................... single crochet
    sc dec................... single crochet (decrease) 2 or more stitches together, as indicated
    sk.......................... skip(ped)
    sl st....................... slip stitch
    sp(s)...................... space(s)
    st(s)....................... stitch(es)
    tog........................ together
    tr........................... treble crochet
    trtr......................... triple treble
    WS........................ wrong side
    yd(s)...................... yard(s)
    yo......................... yarn over
    Symbols

Crochet patterns use symbols to signal repeated text, special instructions and clarifying information.

( ) Work instructions within parentheses in place directed; used to indicate collective stitch groups worked as one procedure in the same place; used for additional or clarifying information, indicated in italic text.

Examples:
    · (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next corner sp
    · (sc, hdc, 3 dc, hdc, sc) in next st
    · (48 dc) – indicating stitch count at end of row or round
    · (88 [94, 106, 112] sc) – indicating multiple stitch counts for additional garment sizes or rows/rnds.
    · Row 1 (RS): – indicating front of work

[ ] Repeat instructions within brackets as directed; also used to indicate additional or clarifying information.

Examples:
    · [dc in next dc, cl in next ch-1 sp] 5 times
    · [dc in each of next 3 dc, shell in next shell] across to next corner
    · Child’s 2 [4, 6, 8] – indicating multiple finished garment sizes
    · Rows 29–36 [31–38, 31–40]: – indicating additional rows/rnds for multiple sizes
    · Sc in each of next 4 [5, 6] sts – indicating additional instructions for multiple sizes

{ } Repeat instructions within braces as directed; used to indicate a set of repeat instructions that are worked within a bracketed set of repeat instructions, or to indicate multiple repeats of stitch patterns that are part of a collective stitch group contained within parentheses.

Examples:
    · [dc in each of next 3 sts, {shell in next ch-1 sp} twice] 4 times
    · [{ch 5, sc in next ch sp} twice, ch 5, sk next dc, dc in next dc, {ch 1, sk next dc, dc in next dc} 6 times] twice
    · ({dc, ch 1} 5 times, dc) in next ch-2 sp
    · ({sc, ch 3} 3 times, hdc, ch 2, hdc, ch 3, {sc, ch 3} twice, sc) all in corner sp

* Repeat instructions following a single asterisk or between two single asterisks as directed.

Examples:
    · Ch 1, sc in first sc, *ch 1, sk next ch-1 sp, sc in next sc, rep from * across
    · *Sc in each of next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st, rep from * around
    · Ch 1, *(sc, dc, tr, dc, sc) in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, sc in next hdc, ch 2, rep from * 6 times
    · Ch 1, sc in same st, sc in each of next 22 sc, *[2 sc in next sc, sc in each of next 3 sc] twice, 2 sc in next sc*, sc in each of next 23 sc, rep between * once, join in beg sc.

** This symbol has two uses, as follows:

1. Repeat instructions between or from double asterisks as directed, usually in combination with a set of single asterisk instructions.

Examples:
    · Ch 1, *(sc, 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc, sc) in corner sp, (sc, 2 dc, sc) in next ch-3 sp, **ch 1, sk next ch-1, sl st in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, sk next ch-1**, [(sc, dc, ch 1, sc) in next ch-3 sp] 3 times, rep between ** once, (sc, 2 dc, sc) in next ch-3 sp, rep from * 3 times, join.
    · Sl st in next st, sl st in corner ch sp, ch 3, dc in same sp, *[(picot, 2 dc) 3 times in same sp, **2 dc in next ch sp, (picot, 2 dc) twice in same sp, rep from ** across to next corner ch sp], 2 dc in next ch sp, rep from * twice, rep between [ ] once, join.

2. Work a partial set of repeat instructions as indicated by double asterisks.
    Examples:
    · *Ch 3, (sc, ch 3, sc) in next ch-2 sp, ch 3**, V-st in next dc, rep from * 3 times, ending last rep at **
    · 2 sc in first st, *ch 2, sk next st, cl in next st, ch 2, sk next st**, 2 sc in next st, rep from * around, ending last rep at **

à Repeat instructions between or from diamonds as directed, usually in combination with single asterisk instructions.

Examples:
    · Ch 1, sc in same sc, *àsk next ch-2 sp, [sc in next sc, ch 3] 4 timesà, sc in next sc, sk next ch-2 sp, sc in next sc, rep from * 6 times, rep between àà once, sc in next sc

· ({Sl st, ch 3} 3 times, sl st) in corner sp, ch 3, sk next 3 sts, (sl st, ch 3, sl st) in next st, ch 3, sk next 3 sts, (sl st, ch 3, sl st) in next ch-2 sp, àch 3, sk next 3 sts, sl st in next st, ch 3, sk next 3 sts, (sl st, ch 3, sl st) in next ch-2 sp, rep from à across to last 7 sts before corner sp, ch 3, sk next 3 sts, (sl st, ch 3, sl st) in next st, ch 3, sk next 3 sts, rep from * around, join.
    Additional Terminology

Work even: Work in pattern already established without increasing or decreasing stitches.

10. mohantina

mohantina Senior IL'ite

hi sandhya ,

thanx for your lessons

please help me firstly to read this simple step. if possible with picture..& explain the highlighted text

Row 1: With size H hook, ch 15, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn.

(14 sc)

Now, written in standard English, row 1 looks like this:

Row 1: Using a size H crochet hook, make 15 chain stitches, single crochet in the second chain stitch from the hook and in each chain stitch across, turn. (There are 14 single crochets at the end of this row.)