1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Writer’s Story

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Rrg, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

A writer’s story

“Sir, would you please print my story in your weekly at least this time” the writer was pleading with the manager /Sub- editor of a smallish Tamil weekly. The weekly had hardly a circulation of 500 copies or so. But the writer was very keen to see his story in print in some magazine or the other. He felt that seeing his name as the author of a story in print was the ultimate.
    “Writer sir, I feel sorry for you. Every week you come with a bunch of stories for our perusal. I also want to help. But our Proprietor/ editor doesn’t find any of them worth printing in our magazine. I can only recommend. But, ultimate decision is his. What can I do? Please understand“
    “How else could I get my stories printed sir?”
    “Writer sir, we are a very tiny player in this field. Developing ones, so to say. Why don’t you approach the big guns Kalki, Kumudam, Vikatan and the like?”
    “Manager sir, do you think I haven’t tried? They don’t even allow me inside the office, once they get to know I am a writer. They somehow smell me even in a crowd and throw me out. By chance if I manage to reach a story to their front desk, the story never sees the light of the day thereafter. Neither it is published, nor returned. I could as well burn them, instead of sending it to them” the writer was emotional.
    “Relax please. Have a glass of water. I can under your woes. We are not that bad. But, we may not be paying much even if we take them, you see.”
    “Amount is no consideration sir. That I could sell my stuff to a company like yours, who understands the value of a writer, itself makes me proud sir” the writer replied.
    “It’s nice of you to say so. But, as I already said I have no role to play once the proprietor himself had turned it down, sir”
    “Manager sir, shall I personally meet the proprietor and request?”
    “I don’t think it would help. Still if you feel like it, you may please come ‪tomorrow at 11.00 AM‬ sharp. The proprietor first comes to this office before going on to attend his other businesses.”
    “Shall I bring all my earlier stories also? At least some of them may appeal to the editor sir, isn’t it?” the writer asked. He was already feeling at the threshold of becoming famous.
    “It is upto you. You want to sell and expect our proprietor to buy. It’s upto you what you want to offer.”
    “Sorry sir. I didn’t mean to offend you. I am banking on you to support my case please”
    “Writer sir, as I have already told you, the decision of my boss is final in everything including the compensation. He may even outright reject by the look of it. Let’s see what he says tomorrow. I can at best request him to be a bit liberal in payment.”
    “Please help sir. I shall come tomorrow.” the writer left.
    Next day, sharp ‪at 10.55 AM‬ the writer was standing in front of the manager with all his stories. The manager was shocked.
    “Writer sir, what’s this?” the manager was astounded.
    “I have brought all my stories written over a decade sir, so that you could have your pick”
    Just then the proprietor entered the office. He looked at the story bundles and enquired asto what they were.
    “Sir, this writer gentleman wants to sell them to us. He had been a regular to our office with his stories for over a year now. Perhaps you may like to decide, sir”
    “Ok. You bring them over to my room. Will the gentleman wait here till you comeback?”
    “Yes sir. I certainly will” the writer replied enthusiastically.
    After 10 minutes the manager came back.
    “Sorry sir. He didn’t find them to his satisfaction. But still I pleaded on your behalf. Finally he agreed to buy. I managed to push the amount also up to make it a round figure” the manager said.
    “As I already mentioned, payment is secondary sir. That your proprietor had agreed to take them itself gives me lot of hope for the future. Please convey my regards to him as well” the writer said, with tears brimming.
    The manager handed over a hundred rupee note to the writer.
    “This is all I could manage you see” he said.
    The writer hid his disappointment well. “It’s fine sir. Even a huge river starts as a small stream. Even a marathon run starts with a single step. I accept the remuneration happily. Thanks for your help sir”.
    From then on for a couple of weeks the writer bought the magazine but couldn’t find his story.
    He then visited the magazine office and asked the manager as to when he could expect his story to be published.
    “Published? What published? Don’t you know we have an old paper mart also, on the back side of this office. Our proprietor bought it for that store. First he refused to buy saying that the papers were too old. I only pleaded on your behalf. Also, at my request he parted with Rs.100/-. Otherwise he wouldn’t have given a penny more than Rs.90/- you know. Hey, what happened? Anybody there? Please rush with a glass of water. One visitor has fainted here in the front office”
    ———————————————————
    Cheers,
    RRG

2. gajalakshminand

gajalakshminand New IL'ite

hi,
    this is the real situation in our country's small writers ,

very nice story

3. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Thanks Gajalakshmi.
    Yours is the first FB on such a sensitive subject. I am surprised.
    You said it right. Normally I write stories for comic relief. But, in this case I wanted to express the anguish and sufferings of a new/ budding writer in getting his work published. Not many takers here perhaps.
    Thanks for visiting the thread and posting your views.
    Cheers,
    RRG

4. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

So sad!
    It is reality and unfortunately some of the writers/artists face this kind of sad situations till they reach limelight.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  5. ammusatheesh

ammusatheesh Gold IL'ite

Yes ofcourse the situation is same outside in all the fields...only recognized persons are getting opportunity and not new ones :(

6. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

This is the sad reality of all the budding writers. Well written