1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Well Groomed Child

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by nayidulhan, Nov 26, 2021.

1. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

Hi Friends!
    Could we please list down the qualities we expect to see in a well groomed child? Also how and when to nurture these qualities? I mean we always lead by example but if there's a specific source/ opportunity to address/ teach/ impart/ inculcate these?

KashmirFlower likes this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Initially the parent is responsible for all of a child's grooming. Slowly, the child becomes responsible for more and more of her grooming.

It is best to keep it casual. If the parent makes the "teach grooming" into a project and parenting must-do, the tween or teen will instinctively rebel.

The school dress code and rules will automatically enforce some grooming.

You can try to make grooming a topic you talk about sometimes. Like, how the pandemic has let people be a little relaxed about what they wear. Or, you can talk about how even people who work from home permanently, dress up in the morning to get into "work" mode. You can talk about people among your friends and family who make the extra effort at grooming.

When my daughter was younger, we were once going up in a lift in India. An immaculately dressed lady with neatly combed hair joined us. I later talked with my daughter about how maid servants long ago didn't used to dress like this.

nayidulhan likes this.
  3. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

Thanks a lot for your answer, Rihana. It means a lot to me when you take time out to answer. :)

Could you please help me further on this? I mean, actually, I should have framed my question better in the first place. My choice of words was incorrect when I said "grooming".

I want to know how to inculcate and develop habits and values like humility, respect for others, consistency, politeness, kindness, being tenacious (not stubborn), not laying way too much emphasis on external approval and on accomplishments, love for learning, etc.

For now, I am trying to live by these so that I am a living example for my child. But oftentimes, the environmental factors and parameters beyond my control exhibit conflicting scenarios. This automatically becomes challenging then.

Also, are there any resources that can aid in reinforcing these values?

KashmirFlower likes this.