1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

A weight loss success story

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by shivachoubey, Jan 12, 2010.

1. aiswaryashree

aiswaryashree New IL'ite

hi am gonna get married soon plz give me some diet plan to reduce my weight...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. anuram09

anuram09 IL Hall of Fame

Read this thread from first page. All necessary tips are in this treasure

3 people like this.
  3. ramyaramjee

ramyaramjee Bronze IL'ite

Hello shiva,

Finally, after a year now I am posting on this thread . I took up aerobics to walking as I found it more exciting . I had loss and gains in weight here and there due to vacation and family functions .In all these I never compromised on workout routine and in diet most of the days .Again , I am now getting back to the regime . I have now reached 67.1 kgs. I started at 73 kgs. Last April I was at 68.3 kgs. In between I went till 66.5 but could not maintain it.

3 people like this.
  4. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,

Me too posting here after a long time. I was busy with a short assignment which kept me really busy (read i lost 12 lbs) and feel good about it because I lost the pounds effortlessly.Now I need to tone up for summer. Im always in the healthy mid range and want to be that way. People around me become cautious now to overeat and also cook healthy when I visit them :)

5 people like this.
  5. ramyaramjee

ramyaramjee Bronze IL'ite

Hello shiva,

very happy to inform you , the scale finally moved to 66.5 kgs as of today. Though there has been a difference in size for two weeks now, the weight got down only today .

ramya

3 people like this.
  6. Nidhi2014

Nidhi2014 Silver IL'ite

Hi everyone!

it is so nice to see a group where people discuss their weight loss goals, plans get superb advice and suggestions. I hope I achieve my goals here as well.

i am new to ILs, I have joined few months back during my first pregnancy. Now that I have delivered, I am facing the challenge of losing weight, which led me to this group with highest number of postings. Weight has always been bit on heavier side for me but still I used to look good before pregnancy. At present, I am at my heaviest ever.

I am 5. 2 inches and 84.4 kgs!!! :hide:

Let me tell you the reasons I gained so much weight:

Before pregnancy, I was 68 kgs (8 kgs over weight). I got pregnant after great difficulty, due to some personal life issues. So, once we got pregnant, I let myself loose. I had a lot of nausea which used to get subsided only after eating something. So, I ate loads of carbs in the first trimester, and gained major weight then itself. After that, weight gain was due to lack of exercise and three full meals with some junk food here n there. Finally, I was weighing 96 kgs on the day of my delivery (3 months back). I delivered via c section which I know going to hamper my full on weight loss plans. One month after delivery, I lost 10 kgs without doing anything and got stuck at 86 for one month. I started walking one month back but not regularly, I stopped sweets and paid attention to my food here n there and now I am at 84.3 for the last 4 weeks.

My goal is 65 kgs.

my exercise history:

before pregnancy, I used to brisk walk at 4.5 and was able to run at the speed of 5.5 at treadmill. Now due to c section, I still get pains while brisk walking. I cannot sit on floor and get up with ease. I can carry my baby and do household work but on days when I walk I get tightening pains while sleeping. I hope it wud get better, my OB GYN okayed me to walk but take it slow.. My life has completely changed with my body so much different, but with a sweet cute baby.

The past two weeks, I go to gym 3 times a week and walk 30 min on treadmill. I do strength training only for my arms, chest n shoulders 2 times a week using 3 lb dumbells. I am not even looking at calorie burn because that's so much discouraging , I used to burn 300 calls easily in 45 min but now maybe 80 to 100 cals only..this is because I cannot walk faster than 3.5 now. I exclusively breasfeed, I heard it wud help me lose weight but I don't think so. It makes a lot hungrier.

my diet:

these days I eat as n when am hungry. I get up in the night/ early am around 3 or 4 or 5 am for feeding my 3 month old baby n eat a plate of fruits like Apple cherries pears blueberries. Then sleep off with baby n get up at 7.30 or 8 n have bowl of oatmeal with sugar, dry fruits (raisins, almonds, walnuts) with tea.
    At 10 am I have bread toast with omelette or 2 Paranthas (less oil, no ghee) with tea or just milk with breast toast
    At 12.30 I have lunch - 3 rotis, sabji, salad, raita.
    At 3 pm, I have tea with rusk/ biscuits/ peanuts/ bread toasts
    at 5 pm, I have oatmeal again
    8 pm dinner - 2 rotis, salad, dal, sabji
    10 pm milk

i know I am eating a lotttt but I am so much hungry with breasfeeding. I heard people say we can lose weight as long as we feed. I fear if I reduce my diet it may affect my milk supply.

i can only lose weight with diet now as my exercise plan cannot be rigorous..or do you all think I can go more intense with workouts??
    Experienced moms esp with c sections please help and guide me..I am getting frustrated with my body..

thanks!!
    nidhi

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  7. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Nidhi,

Welcome to this group.

Frustration and desperation leads to nothing. With my experience in weight loss, one thing that I firmly learnt is that if I am frustrated and desperate to lose weight..I will take some short cut decisions which won't do me any good in the long term. The first and foremost rule of weight loss is accept the way your body is and accept the fact that it will take you atleast one year to get in proper shape.

I delivered via C-sec and I weigh little less than my pre pregnancy weight. So C-section has nothing to do with your weight loss. Make sure you get a clean chit from your doctor about your workouts. No workout is worth an internal tear, if you get an internal tear then they will have to cut you open and stitch you up again and recovery will take long. So make sure that your doctor is fine with your exercise plan. 12 weeks is what doctors recommend before starting any exercise. I used to walk on treadmill once I completed 12 weeks.

I don't remember getting such pains, please talk to your doctor about this. Walking is permitted. I used to walk for 45 minutes on moderate pace. Its best to seek advise from someone who know what is happening inside your body.

It does assist in weight loss but the key point is to make smart healthy choices when the hunger strikes hard. You will be extremely hungry, so make sure to keep some healthy meals ready in your fridge.

As you are breastfeeding and your baby does need proper nourishment from your diet, the best way is to go meet a nutritionist(make sure to search for a good one). A nutritionist will tell you about the calories you need to consume during this phase of your life and will give you lots of healthy options. One time consultation won't cost you much. I personally do not like to go to someone who gives diet plans on regular basis because I am very bad at following diets. But a good nutritionist will let you know about your calorie requirement and will give you tons of suggestions which you can implement in your diet for better results. I never got a chance to do this But now I feel its far better than working in the dark, without knowing how much calories to eat, what nutritive food to eat and what to avoid(which usually is fried junk stuff).

This post from my blog might help you. This is from personal experience, it no way replaces an expert professional advise. I tried losing as much weight as I can through healthy eating and moderate exercise.

Post Pregnancy Weight Loss - 1 - Blogs - IndusLadies

All the best

regards

4 people like this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

shiva nice seeing you here. how are you. very busy?? how is P. will catch up sometime.

1 person likes this.
  9. Nidhi2014

Nidhi2014 Silver IL'ite

Hi Shiva,

thank you so much for giving me great advice. The link you sent has wealth of info.

I got the upper inner thigh pain (SPD) in 8 th month of pregnancy which is not going away, doctor examined me at 8 weeks and told I am ok to walk, n that the SPD will go away gradually. I am 12 weeks post my delivery. Can I ask you a q: were you able to walk normally I.e. Fast just like before pregnancy at 12 weeks?

Is it OK to eat multigrain roti during feeding? I ask coz when I have idlis or besan chilas my baby won't tolerate that n cries a lot those days or gets stomache.. I need to follow special diet which is indian n for feeding women.. Nutritionist here in USA is not going to give me that, but nonetheless your blog gives loads of info...I love bananas but my mom isn't letting me have as it will cause cold to baby supposedly..

How did you curb your nightly hungers if you had any? Your blog shows you had light meals I the night n then straight up you have breakfast..

thank you!

nidhi

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nidhi,
    Welcome to the fitness forums. Shiva has given you excellent tips. Regarding post c-section weight loss, I just lost my post c weight around Feb and my son turned three in Dec. So take your time, it will come off. Consistency is key.

Btw, I nursed two babies, both for 27 months each. Both times, I needed to eat 2000 cals a day for the first 6-8 months to sustain to EBF. I'm 5'3 and was probably 70kgs when my kids were 3 months old. Since you are 83kgs you could probably eat a slightly lesser calorie level daily and see how your supply is. Don't cut calories drastically. Eat smart. I always ate oatmeal twice a day. I also used to have soups once/twice a day. I hope you are drinking a lot of water. Even dehydration can lead to a drop in supply. I suggest you concentrate on eating the right kind of food and getting in some activity. Once your baby is on solids and requiring fewer nursing sessions, you can slowly start reducing cals and slowly get back to a 1500 cals diet to reduce the rest of the pregnancy weight.

With my older one, she had a lot of food allergies so my diet was restricted. I could only eat rice or plain wheat rotis. I couldn't eat channa or other beans. I couldn't take milk products etc. Even so, I managed to get into pre baby weight by the time she was 18-20 months old. It was because of the restricted intake of food.
    This time around, I did it without cutting food too much. Believe me, it took more effort to keep eating the way I do and still lose weight but I need the energy. I didn't do too much in terms of activity until a year or so after the c-section but I did brisk walking and I was fine. Never had the pain you are describing. I used to have terrible knee pain and sciatica kind of pain. That went away only after I lost the weight. Apparently, my ligaments aren't too strong to bear too heavy a frame. 12 weeks after surgery, I didn't have any pain, walking.

Hth,
    L

2 people like this.