1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

A weight loss success story

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by shivachoubey, Jan 12, 2010.

1. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Oohsa,

There is no hurry, come when you feel like. I will be happy to see you join the project and achieve your goal.

You are always welcome with open arms.

2. lovely_ambika

lovely_ambika Silver IL'ite

Dear Shiva,
    I have been reading your blogs from 3 days and they are very inspiring. Nice to see your before and after pics, you look great. thanks for sharing Humus and healthy burger receipes.

Ambika.

3. shivachoubey

Dear Ambika,

I have read all your lovely comments on my blog, thanx so much for encouraging me. Readers like you inspire writers like us to write. I am glad you like the recipes as well. I write everything that worked for me on my blog.
    Thanx for your appreciation once again. God Bless you.

4. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Hi SC,

I read all the sections of your blog today and i must say, WOW!!:thumbsupYou truly rock !!

Im viewing weight loss from altogether a different angle now.In your own words, i must say, tough can be so simple. I simply loved the way you have described everything in detail. I appreciate your concern for posting all the details on the blog which is indeed very helpful to others.

I always was a skinny person until my 1st delivery. I went up from 120 to 135 and from 135 to 145 during my two pregnancies. The word 'diet' itself gives me jitters.

I want to share few concerns with you. Im hoping to find some tips from you.

1. The side effects of dieting. The first thing which makes me give up diets is the side effects. By replacing rice with rotis, my body temp shoots up and get pimples.

2. With two kids around, i cannot manage time to cook seperately for myself. Like especially during nights, i would love if someone offers me soup/salad but end of the day, im totally worn out and dont have energy(if i eat moderately during lunch and having to do lots of work,kids homework,groceries etc)

3.Early morning cup of coffee. :coffeeIm so much addicted to this. My day starts with this.

4.Managing food of other members in the house while dieting. My hubby asks me to spare him of all this. He is a total foodie and loves to eat sweets. I dont get the motivation to stick to diets.

5. Due to my inability to stick to diets, i decided to join a gym and work out 5 days a week. I have posted my gym routine in weight loss buddy thread. I look toned up but have managed to lose only few pounds since then.

6.I noted that you didnt have green tea/fenugreek etc in the morning. DId you have bfast directly?
    Can you also attach a pic of your lunch plate so that we can have an idea.

You are truly an inspiration to me. Keep up the good work. Hope you find success further in reaching your ideal weight.

God bless you.:cheers

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  5. shivachoubey

Dear pman16,

Thank you so much for your appreciation. Here are you answers.

1. The side effects of dieting. The first thing which makes me give up diets is the side effects. By replacing rice with rotis, my body temp shoots up and get pimples.

Then don't replace it. I eat rice, in fact I have never given it up. I am not a roti person myself but I have little rice. My bowl mixture does the trick for me. Don't force yourself to eat something which you are not very fond of. Have you tried dhal chilas (pancakes) for dinner. You can make pancakes out of green lentil and yellow lentil. Let me know if you want to go for these and I will give you the recipes. These pancakes are just a way to replace carbs at dinner. If you don't like then let it be stick with rice.

How I prepare my rice - I drain the starch 3 times, I let the rice boil then drain the water, then again I let the rice boil and drain the water. I do it till the rice is cooked. This kind of rice is not good for kids as it has no vitamins and no fats as well but you can try for yourself. Cook one time for both lunch and dinner. You can take nutrients from vegetables and fruits, this kind of rice will only serve the purpose of fiber.

2. With two kids around, i cannot manage time to cook seperately for myself. Like especially during nights, i would love if someone offers me soup/salad but end of the day, im totally worn out and dont have energy(if i eat moderately during lunch and having to do lots of work,kids homework,groceries etc)

I suggest you write your intake for 2-3 days and see where are you over eating. What happens is once your body gets used to the house work the amount of food that you are eating become much more than required. My sister have 2 kids, she had a similar kind of lifestyle like yours. She had heavy breakfast thinking she will be busy till lunch and then heavy lunch thinking she has so much to do till dinner. Though she keeps moving every time, a double chin was developing on her and I did point out this to her. She reduced her intake of food and she confessed that it was in her mind that she needed that much food. SO, analyze your schedule. See if you are over eating somewhere. The truth is you are over eating that is why you have put on weight.

With your kind of lifestyle please don't go on salad and soup at night, you have kids to run after. Best is start with reducing your intake and monitor yourself. You will definitely feel hungry in between then try drinking buttermilk or grab a fruit.

Make sure you are not eating leftovers of your kids. Their food is usually (and kids need it) laden with ghee and butter and if they leave something there is no need for you to finish the food, throw it in the dustbin or give it to your hubby.

3.Early morning cup of coffee. [​IMG]Im so much addicted to this. My day starts with this.

Nothing wrong with it. We all have our weaknesses and this is yours, so what. Concentrate on eating healthy and reducing weight. Once you have done so then may be you will have a fruit/ breakfast with your coffee. Right now don't jump to change the habit. Make changes slowly so that they will last for your life.

4.Managing food of other members in the house while dieting. My hubby asks me to spare him of all this. He is a total foodie and loves to eat sweets. I dont get the motivation to stick to diets.

No one will sacrifice for you and this is the truth. My husband has eaten all the goodies in front of me in the past. But when he saw that I was determined and the results were showing then he started supporting me. Even today he has the freedom to eat whatever he wants and he eats also. My motivation was to look good and wear short dresses. I always wanted to wear short clothes. SO, figure out why you want to loose weight. Imagine yourself in that skinny small dress and looking like a yummy mummy. Your determination will come. Moreover, when you are about to eat something, take a bite and question yourself, 'I have tasted it so many time do I need to eat this whole stuff'. Try satisfying yourself with 1-2 bites. I do it. I have 1-2 bites of the goody and be happy. I am no saint I also sometimes gorge the whole stuff. So if you are eating less for couple of days and someday you loose control, no problem, start afresh the next day.

5. Due to my inability to stick to diets, i decided to join a gym and work out 5 days a week. I have posted my gym routine in weight loss buddy thread. I look toned up but have managed to lose only few pounds since then.

Well done and keep it up. See as long as you are doing strength training you won't see the weight loss on scale but yes inch loss will happen. Also your hunger will increase and you will want to eat more. If you want to loose weight, then best is to do lot of cardio. Minimum of 45 min of cardio is required. If that is the only time you have then stick to cardio, no matter what anyone say. Walk on the trademill, after every 10 days increase the speed. My max speed was 6.3 on trademill. Once you have reached the max speed, speed at which you will think you can't go any further then start running for few minutes. Start with 1 min then gradually increase. This kind of workout gives your body a challenge and you will reduce more. If you are doing the same cardio at the same speed nothing will happen. Diet also needs to be followed with the exercise to see the results. You can do other cadios like corss trainer/cycling also with the same trick.

If you feel hungry during exercise or just after it. The best way is to eat a fruit 5-10 min before workout. I eat banana. I also eat a fruit or some healthy snack just after my workout.

Write down the healthy substitute of mid meal hunger. Like fruits/buttermilk/puffed rice bhel/roasted chana. When you will reduce your meal and if you feel hungry in between grab one of these and eat.

If you can have small meals then also it will be great. For example if you have 1 bowl rice for lunch, have half. Wait for 2 hours, if not hungry yet wait for another hour. Have the next half of the rice. Then wait for 2 hours, if hungry grab a fruit. By the time its dinner and you will be already full so you automatically will have less dinner. Its a trick to eat less and still feel full. You will have to experiment with couple of ways to see what suits you best.

6.I noted that you didnt have green tea/fenugreek etc in the morning. DId you have bfast directly?

I am not that kind of a person to have greentea/fengugreek first thing in the morning. I have my breakfast along with my tea. Its a age old habit and I never wanted to change it. I cannot eat breakfast without my tea and I cannot have only tea in morning without my breakfast. It has to be one bite breakfast and one sip tea. I have written this in my blog too, analyse your three meals and decide which you will not change. For me it was my breakfast, I never compromise on that.

If I have overeaten today and I know that tomorrow I have to check my calories still my breakfast never changes it is the same, I make adjustment to my lunch and dinner.

7.Can you also attach a pic of your lunch plate so that we can have an idea.

My lunch is similar to the lines of my dinner. As I want to feel full in my stomach, I have 1 protein sabji like soya beans/chole/rajma etc, they stay in the stomach for longer time and makes you feel full. I have dhal, sabji in good quantity, raita and 2 tsp of rice. If I am in no mood to have rice I have 1 or 1/2 roti.

Trick to eat less carbs and calories is to include 1 protein sabji in your lunch. Try having 1 bowl and see the difference. If you can't have salads and soups then don't. Make adjustments in your present meals.

I will surely out the picture of my lunch plate. Give me 2-3 days to do so.

So the points for you are

1. Analyze yourself for 2-3 days. Here you let yourself be as normal as possible, no need to diet. Once you have the data see where you have over eaten.

2. Once you are done with step 1, start reducing your meals little by little. Don't make drastic changes. Give yourself 2 weeks before your decide to reduce further.

3. Keep something ready made like fruits to eat, handy just in case if you are hungry (bcoz of the reduced meals).

4. It will be great if you can include a protein sabji in your lunch. Don't push yourself, do it if it is possible.

Today or tomorrow you will loose weight. There is no point in rushing and pushing yourself. Remember the tortoise won the game by being slow and steady.

Hope this helps. If you have any further doubts please don't hesitate to ask. I will do my best to help you. Ask me 100 times if you want to and I will reply back 100 times. Give your 100% and I will also give my 100% support to you.

6. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Hi SC,

Thanks a lot for your reply and taking time to write in detail. Im feeling so good that this is an entirely different approach to dieting. I SHALL TRY for a couple of weeks and see the difference.

I want to take short steps hence i plan for 2 weeks initially. I like soups so planning to include that.I use sona masoori rice and use canola oil. Is it necessary to switch?

To start with, for tonight's dinner i plan 1 small katori cucumber raita,1 phulka, cabbage curry and half bowl of moong dal soup (made with lots of veggies. Source: showmethe curry). This is in replacement of what i normally eat i.e. 3 rotis(made with oil) and sabji followed by 1/2 apple.What do you think? Is this okay or too much? Let me know.

7. shivachoubey

Dear Pman16,

Good to hear from you. Listen, the trick is to gradually decrease your food intake, if you reduce it in one go you will reduce weight for sometime and then your weight will be stuck. Your body again will want some adjustment and because your are already eating less you can't make much adjustment to your meals.

So go for 2 rotis first for sometime and then go for 1 roti. In short continue with 2 roti thing till your weight stop decreasing and then go for 1 roti to get the maximum results. As your roti will decrease in future you can increase the amount of soup and raita.

Remember, 1 tsp of oil is 40 calories and 1 medium roti is about 60-70 calories (I take it as 100). So if you are making your roti in oil then you are automatically increasing the calorie count. Make 2 roti in 1 tsp of oil or less, you will get the taste and calories will be less. In case you want to check calories in food you can use this site Calorie Counter Database - Free Online Diet Program

You will have to watch your weekends, the 2 days when you don't workout. Make sure you are not eating calorie laden food on these days. If you are going our for dinner/lunch with family then reduce the other meals. For example if you know that dinner will be out then go for soup or light lunch.

One more trick is to go to places where your hubby and kids will enjoy eating and you are not very fond of.

In my case burger was my weakness but I could control myself with pizzas. So, with hubby and friends pizza joint was a good idea. Where I can have my soup and a bite of pizza. As I am not extremely tempted by it I was able to control myself. In this way your family will enjoy outside food and you will also not feel deprived. Eat before you go out and if you have not eaten anything out and are feeling hungry then come home and eat.

To get maximum results the best way is to reduce gradually. There is no way that you won't loose. You are reducing your calorie count and are working out so weight loss is sure to happen.

Let me know if you have any doubts.

8. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the wonderful tips.

I make lentil pancakes occasionally with less oil. Thats a good option. I shall keep in mind.

Regarding having a protein sabji everyday, i want to know is it not gassy on tummy. Can you tell me any other substitute for this? Even dhal has proteins, so instead of dhal and 1 protein sabji(everyday) can i have more of dhal ?

Let me know.

P.S: Due to diff in time zones, im unable to connect with you on this thread.When are you usually online?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  9. shivachoubey

Its morning 10:00 am here and I just logged on. Indusladies is open on my comp the whole day then. Yes you can have more dhal if you are not comfortable with protein sabji.

Soyabeans don't produce gas atleast not for me. But dhal is fantastic as well.

Let me know your progress and keep weighing yourself every week.

10. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Dear shiva choubey

I really would like to say a special thanks to you for being here for your motivating blogs and posts .I too second with hat requesting you to post all your blog matters in thread section toooooooooooo....as threads are more lively....i feel....

i am not overweight but i need to reduce my tummy somehow....have begun drinking green tea and hot water.Lets see....

I am yet to read your blogs....will read and then post in my fbs..

Now I am sending across my [​IMG] for your excellent motivation to friends over here in IL !!!!!!!!!!!!