1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

A weight loss success story

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by shivachoubey, Jan 12, 2010.

1. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Brahan,

There is an increase in weight during the periods. It will automatically reduce once the periods are over. So don't worry.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

2. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Priya,

I am glad to know that you are back to your normal diet. Just give your very best and relax.

Please do keep me posted with your health updates.

Lots of love to you girl.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

3. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Shiva:bowdown.I have posted a new thread on "Dance Exercise". It would be great if you could let me know your COmments on it. Have you tried it?

4. Thush

Thush Silver IL'ite

5. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

Indian Guy, Can you please write your suggestions too?

Hi Prss, That reference to me, missed my attention. Thanks Shiva, for pointing it out, through a separate message.

My husband was diagnosed of borderline diabetes and high cholestral last year (since he had been living on outside food all 3 times of the day during the previous year, because I was in India for my delivery). But he started his exercise and diet as soon as we found this out and so, we brought his sugar and cholestral levels under control and so the doctor has not prescribed any medication and has asked us to be on proper diet and to avoid sugars and fatty items. We maintain the levels on diet and exercise alone.

Fine for now. . Right now, by mere diet regulation, his blood sugars are within normal levels. In future, may be after a few years, he may need anti-diabetic medications. Even by the best possible diet regulation, you and he can not escape from having to take medications for diabetes. That purely depends upon the amount beta islet cells alive in his pancreas. These cells produce our own body insulins. In diabetics, for reasons yet to be understood fully till now, these cells start declining in their numbers and function. This is a process, which can not be predicted fully now. When , in future, your husband will be needing anti-diabetic medications, it is not in your hands totally. Well, you do your best, in diet regulation. Just understand, despite your best efforts, in future, he may need medications for diabetes.

My doubt now is, can I add a little bit of oil when I toast the chappathis in the non stick tava? Does it enhance the taste considerably?

No diabetic diet says, to avoid oils and fats totally. Even if a person eats grass for all three times a day, he will continue to have cholesterol. Because, it is our body which synthasises cholesterol. (of course, partly from what we eat and partly from its own enzymes). So, it is certainly NOT RECOMMENDED to stop oil and fat intake by 100 %. What is more important is your husband's weight should be within his normal range. Like for example, if he is 172 cm, his weight should be within 62 and 71 kg.

I repeat, one hundred percent avoiding of oils and fats is clearly not recommended. We rather need to derive at least ten percent of daily energy from oils and fats. That is how our body works. The maximum energy must be from carbohydrates, some from proteins and around ten percent from fats and oils. I am deliberately not going into the complexitiy of how much from each components, carbohydrates, proteins and fats, here.

Just understand the bottomline. Ten percent of the body energy has to be derived from fats and oils. So, oil in moderated amounts, and that too oils like sunflower oil (which contains more unsaturated fatty acids) are absolutely fine. Every oil has a mixture of both saturated and unsaturated fatty oils. The one with high percentage of saturated fatty acids is coconut oil (Keralites eat it, it has to be avoided). The rest namely groundnut oil, sesame oil etc come in the middle. Among non veg, fish protein contains more unsaturated fatty acids. Hence fish is more recommended than mutton and chicken.

Among chicken and mutton, chicken is preferable, because it contains more unsaturated fatty acids than mutton.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  6. sansam

sansam New IL'ite

Dear Indianguy,Seeing that you are a doctor,I have a doubt for clearance.A few months back I saw a TV programme where a doctor was helping people to lose weight.The doctor was keeping on talking about Leptin hormone.I googled for this term and came across a website called Wellness Resources.There a nutritionist called Byron Richards was explaining about the 5 rules of leptin diet.He strictly advocates a rule of not eating between meals.he does advocates some supplements to overcome problem of overeating.but he says we can even overcome diabetes if we follow the 5 rules of Leptin diet without any supplements.All dieticians and doctors advise people to eat mini meals frequently.This clashes with this 5 rules theory.I would be very much indebted to you if you can take the time to go thru this website and give your opinion.Iam confused whether to eat 3 meals or snack between meals.Waiting for your valuble advise.

7. Mihisha

Mihisha Senior IL'ite

Dear Shiva and friends!

Nice to see everyone in high spirits for weight loss. Hey Vannu, I hope you are going fine now, my Dad also had been bit by a dog last year while he was going to throw trash in the community bin. I guess u r ok now and have been exercising well.

Dear Mrs, How is ur health? My Mom is cute wala strict, she doesnt say me something if I have exams and off and on , as per her "shardha' and pity she herself gives me some snacks with tea.. :) she is cutie... i love her..

Dear Priya, Its good to see you back and glad to hear that you are slowly coming back to eating normal food,.. take care of urself :)

Dear Shiva, I have not been to the gym on friday, saturday and sunday.. Sat was my exam early morning ( reporting time 8 am) , so I didnt go there on friday evening... Saturday - exam day it was a 4-5 hr exam so came back and slept off for a while.. went to shopping for buying formal suits (I have an interview call next week).. Sunday , we went to temple ( being navratris, we went for offering chunni for Vaishno devi Maa) .. All these days I didnt eat anything frm outside, we took fruits and light snacks whenever we went out.....

My weight as of tdy is 74.5 :):):), I guess u wud be v happy to read this.

MY NEXT WEEK's target is 73 or max 73.5 lets c....

Shiva, I got into one but highest size (size 14) in the formal suits section.. because in petites , we get 16 as biggest size... With 16 It was loose from shoulders and back but fine with upperarms and tummy.. with 14, it luked perfetly fit except a bit on tighter side on tummy and arms.. So i got this and a striped flared shirt with trousers..... I must thank you and my Mom due to whom i am able to lose 1.5 inches since may this yr,, otherwise I wud nt be able to fit in this highest size formals too.....

Okie guys, plz pray for me that I get this job, This is my first job interview in usa after grad school... I really need this job..for my Mom..and DH who have been sacrificing tonnes so I dont get affected by the tensed tough situation my family is in right now.....

Love yall

Misha

8. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Shiva,

I am totally uncertain about this. In the process of weight Loss i am drinking 2-3 litres of water everyday. Tell me does Drinking lots of water help in Weight Loss really?

I believed that Taking so much of water can help in weight Loss until someone had commented that its not so (In another Thread...Sorry i dont remember the Threads name")

PS: Due to so much of water intake, my Skin has improved a lot. All the Black Spots in my Skin are gone :D. SO it has not caused any Harm to me.

9. Perfectionist

Perfectionist Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends,

Minisha...Best of luck for your interview and hardwork always pay. :thumbsup

Vannu...Take care hope you are doing fine.

Priya..Its really gud to see your recovery..

10. prss

prss Gold IL'ite

Thanks so much Shiva. Thanks for all the tips.

For Breakfast - the chutney/sambar I make or the idli chilly powder
    For lunch - the sambars/kolambus I make, the poriyals/aviyals I make
    For dinner - the side dish for chappathi or the chutney for dosa

all these items that I make daily have oil, but in minimal quantity - say 2 to 3 spoons for each dish.

So, there is oil in our diet. So far, I didnot add oil to chappathis and dosas all these days. The dosas were okay. But the chappathis looked a little tough and dry and thats why asked you. I will follow all your tips. Thanks a lot Shiva.

And, you know what? I made Hummus from your blog yesterday night and have stored it in the fridge. Today morning had it with my multigrain bread. It was awesome!
    I am waiting for tomorrow's breakfast :).