1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Wake up Call for All!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by anukarsha, Mar 11, 2011.

1. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends!
    While writing this post, I am felling quite restless, unstable, nervous and anxious. I’ve never had this feeling before. Actually last two days I was pondering over something very inhumane, gruesome and out of the world probably. There was news two days back about a young woman who first flung her two kids from the 19th floor of her building and jumped herself too. All of them died on the spot. There was a note found saying ‘no one to be blamed’ for this!
    How ridiculous??? If no one is to be blamed then why did you commit such a heinous crime? What made her take such a drastic step that she didn’t even think twice before flinging her kids and later committing suicide??? What the news paper read was that she looked perfectly normal before this, had her breakfast with family and then this spine-chilling act?
    Once something like this happens, everyone starts their own investigations, so many assumptions/presumptions, so many ifs n buts. I’ve a question here which I’m sure will sound like a stupid one of course but I can’t help it- My question is when the lady had planned it so well, why didn’t she write a proper suicide note stating the reasons for such a thing. Don’t you think the people behind this should be punished? Why didn’t she expose their names, reason for taking such a step and other details which pushed her to commit something like this? My conscious mind says that she being a literate female (a chartered accountant and a lecturer by profession) should have had the minimum common sense to unveil those who forced her to commit three crimes at one time.
    Another question which comes to mind is that- Are we really educated??? Does just earning degrees make us literate??? What is the meaning and use of education if we aren’t able to apply it in our day-to-day life? Wasn’t she aware of the fact that by doing this she’s actually committing three extremely cruel acts?
    One more question is that why didn’t she discuss it with her parents or a friend or any professional counselor who could have helped her sort it out?
    Friends, the city psychiatrists are calling this “altruistic maternal filicide”; such a big, attention-catching word for most of us; means ‘out of love for kids’ in simple language!!! But ‘altruism’ is selfless love my dear; where is this selfless thinking gone? What made her take her kids’ lives which she has no control over, why did she take her own life which is also not hers??? How can you think that there is no one to look after your kids when you leave this world? Her parents knew that she was being tortured for whatever matter. Then why didn’t they take a step ahead to save these three lives. Now everyone is numb in their family, they aren’t able to come on to the terms with this stark reality. What are they getting now??? They actually lost everything…
    How immature thoughts my friends; to hide the torture of this extent just for the sake of some social norms or say- what would people say n all??? How immature of that mother to think that by doing this she would get rid of all that pain? All those who have even a li’l idea of spirituality, would agree with me that by doing so, she had pushed herself into even more trouble, she has indented her soul, she has maligned the love n respect of the supreme power. She was probably not aware of the fact that committing suicide is considered to be a bigger crime than committing a murder and she has committed all three at one go. This is not the end of her agony; this is rather beginning of a whole new chapter of pain n sufferings for her.
    I just wanna make a request to all my friends that please be well aware of what you are up to. Don’t just do something because you wanna do it, think of the consequences- short term (earthly) as well as long term (after death). You have to pay off your Karma for sure and just can’t get away with it. So please be careful before even thinking something; think cautiously, consciously and act also carefully.
    regards

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

dear anukarsha,

i am glad this topic has come up for discussion. i feel very strongly about this topic, but then it is a very controversial one. there will be as many views as people. i feel that it should nevertheless be discussed, as it concerns all of us here and outside. we cannot afford to dismiss the whole issue by sweeping it under the carpet and declaring that it is not a "pleasant" subject to discuss. i shall put down mine here.

the woman was evidently very distressed about something. whatever be her reasons for not discussing it with others. i cannot term her act as black or white. as usual the fact is somewhere in the middle. she committed suicide - i cannot justify this since she had two young children to look after. she should have spared them a thought. but again, we do not know what her reason was. we do not know in what desperate straits she was or what sense of the futility of life she had that she was pushed to take such an action. suicide is not something one does easily. it is after all one's own life and one will always tend to protect it at any cost. it is the basic instinct of self-preservation. to overcome this and to kill oneself, one must be really pushed to the brink. we do not even know whether she was mentally stable.

the saving grace is she did not go without leaving this message saying no one was responsible, in which case so many people would have been harassed for investigations. unless it is a case of outright harassment, i don't personally think that anyone should be held guilty/responsible for anyone else's desperate act - which may be a reflection of their own low tolerance threshold for any kind of mental or physical stress.

however, there can be no justification whatsoever to her killing her two children. she had absolutely no right to decide this course for them. unless of course she was mentally unstable - in that case one can only pity both mother and children.

suicide is mostly (other in cases where it is a conscious decision of one who is suffering from a chronic, incurable disease with no relief in sight) a highly emotional and impulsive act. it is very rarely pre-planned. so i do not think education and literacy has anything to do with this. besides, academic qualifications in our country are hardly a measure of "education" - but that is a different topic altogether

we do not know whether she discussed it or not. if she did, we do not know what advice she was given by her family. how many times that women in marital distress go to the parents only to be sent back with the advice to "adjust". so how do we know the real situation? very seldom do we get a clear picture from the newspapers. as you said earlier, a lot of theories and hypotheses are built by various individuals around the event. so what we eventually get is an absolute pot-pourri of information which is absolutely confusing.

yes, the family is numb from the shock. but where were they when she was distressed. why did she not feel free to talk to them?

i agree with you entirely that although she has escaped human justice, she has another court to face and will have to pay for her karmas in future. there is something called natural justice and no one can change that. so i am content to leave that judgement - whether she is guilty or not - to a higher power than myself. i as an ordinary mortal with all my shortcomings am in no position to sit in judgement of her actions.

i am glad the supreme court has called to do away with an old law which holds attempt at suicide to be a crime. such people do not need to be punished. they need our compassion, help and encouragement to face life courageously.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Well said,Satchi :thumbsup. Frankly, you have left nothing for us to say.:)

yes, Anu I can understand your anguish But these people are more to be pitied than censured though our first reaction is anger especially since they take the lives of their innocent children too.
    But why do such qualified person who can support themselves and their family , commit suicide is beyond my comprehension.

4. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Dear satchi and mindi,thanks for your reply.satchi i competely agree with you and with you too mindi ,for these people need more of love n compassion.But there is something which always keeps me asking question why don't they spell out everything.I have two such cases in my immediate family,both of them committed suicide, both young, married, with kids n all.The person who dies goes to a land we all can't access but the people behind, live in trauma all their lives.so many questions surround them.I am still not sure why these two of my immediate relation committed such a thing.
    I just wanna say one thing that there is nothing which can't be discussed only you should have courage enough to say a spade a spade.Then the social norms too play a very important role in our lives.Most of the times we are concerned about what others will say.But i ask why can't we be concerned with what my immediate family says.I just don't give a damn to others' thoughts because i know that they are their thoughts and not mine.One should always be aware of what he/she is doing.
    I strongly believe the lady in this scene should have either discussed it with someone of real help to her or should have stayed saperately.All news item are scripted so i don't trust them much but i felt very bad for the lady n her kids.i was literally in such a shock that i couldn't have proper food for last two days.Even though i am not concerned with this lady by any way, i felt sad for her condition and the reason behind taking such a drastic step.
    regards-anu:)

5. namrathamorab

namrathamorab Gold IL'ite

Well this is one topic where you actually need to assess whether the logical part of our brains are to be blamed or the emotional one.

I had happed to read some article about how people incline their minds to take their life off.
    In most of the cases it was found that those who could not fight and stand up against the problems in the weak moment where they would have lost confidence or faith or trust or hope or all of them dare to take any drastic step and do some thing unexpected. In such state of minds you of course can not expect them to write proper suicide notes.

And like Satchitananda's post what we know is only one side of the coin. Now who knows the other part can only decide on and infer as to how could this lady kill her children and then kill herself too.

Mere qualification in terms of degrees will not make us competent. Off late it has been surveyed that most of youth suicides have been an effect of extreme-stress and pressure to achieve more. So the point is just education and job and financial independence will not provide our soul with the guts and courage we need to face the challenges that the world has to offer to us.

What we at this point of time need is to groom ourselves and the next generation on the scales of stress management and inculcate the habit of sitting down and discussing things.This could solve so many of our problems.(Talking it out is one habit we are steadily loosing).

Hope we don't get to see and here more such incidents.

6. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Thanks namratha for your response.very true, if you have read my earlier posts, you would notice that i always stress upon talikng things out.i believe there is a solution to every so called problem.we have stopped thinking rationally.One should do self introspection every day and try to improve the flaws within.one has to take the responsibility of one's deeds.the question here is not of who's right n who's wrong, who's educated, who's not.but i strongly feel that our education level should and must bring a sense of responsibility, sense of matured behavior and a sense to solve problems rather than creating new ones.we are becoming more n more gullible to stress and are not aware of our own self.this is what i want to say my friends.regards-anu:)

7. satchitananda

i whole-heartedly agree with you on the discussion issue and that things should be sorted out instead of taking such extreme steps. but that requires a radical change in our mentalities and approach towards women and life in general. also, there is a need for counselling centres and help lines for people feeling suicidal to call, where they should feel confident of getting non-judgemental, practical help. other countries do have these help lines, and when anyone calls for help, they keep them talking on the phone till someone reaches them and talks them out of attempting suicide. why can't we do the same thing? what is preventing us? surely, this is no rocket science. when we can send satellites to the moon, why can we not make the lives of our own people more livable here on earth?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  8. satchitananda

very well said namratha. this is the only way forward. what has happened has happened and we cannot expect miracles overnight. one has to work towards it.