A Trip to Kenya.........

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Arunarc, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Sushila
    Thanks for stepping in here, not at all a problem only when you come upon so many questions one will have the idea how much they can spend. To tell the truth never felt Kenya expensive. Yes you get vegetarian food and I enjoyed the food there. Before booking you can just request the hotel people you prefer Veggie food. People are very co-operative that way. As I am a nonveg person so never had problem. But had very good veg food too.
    With hotel, eating, safari and shopping you can spend around 1000US$ per person. I am just giving you approximatly it might be less or more depending on the season. As we got very good price through Alpa so we spent very less. I will ask her to step in here and answer you.

2. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sushila,

Nairobi hotels are expensive but good, the budget hotels are not good and i would not advise you to stay there you can book a whole package through SOTC or any local travel agent in your country or let me know i can help connect you through a travel agent, i am posting 2 links in below for you. All the hotels here are 4star and prices would above 100$ for double some hotels include breakfast some don't.
    Nairobi has many indian restuarants especially in westlands area where the Holiday Inn is all malls are near by and with food courts you get good indian vegetarian food all the indian resturants, also tell the travel agent that you would like to hire the car with driver to take you around forshopping as there are MASAI MARKETS here on certain days and very popular with tourists you cna get good stuff. so keep a budget of US$1,000.00 for shopping and care hireand food i am just telling you this on the higher side
    the rate today 1$ to Ksh is 80 so you get a good rate.
    If bookingwith travel agent they will do your transfers to and from hotels and i its better to hire the same travel agent car with driver and also they can guide you where to go and also for day safaris.
    also visit Jambo! Welcome to Magical Kenya
    hope this helps
    love
    alpa:cheers

| Holiday Inn Kenya | Holiday Inn Nairobi | Discounted Rates | or
    Travel|Kenya-safaris|Air-Ticketing|Flight-Booking|Reservations|Tours|Africa a very good travel agent

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear Aruna,

a lovely travelogue and even lovelier pictures .as someone else has mentioned this can be a promo for African tourism :) makes one WANT to see kenya.ohhh and i just LOVED the masai market .thanks for all the details aruna it will be a real help for anyone who is planning

dear Alps,

great to know that you are available for any help required in planning the trip.my parents went through SOTC and they had a lovely time too last year.actually we always combine 2- 3 cities at a time so which would you suggest along with the kenyan safari? anyway not for another 2 years but just wanted your opinion.:)

4. Arunarc

Dear Mindi
    Thank you so much for stepping in....As it is so beautiful I want all the Il friends to visit this place and enjoy the same...hehehe
    Mindi you go crazy with those markets you just can't understand what to buy and what to leave. Things are so beautiful.
    See in the above post Alpa has provided some links just go through them.

5. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Dear Mindi,
    i would then suggest that you do Mauritius its beautiful and you would get a good flight to Mauritius you go there have a rest do holiday and then come to Kenya, that would be so much better or go to South Africa then come to Kenya check with your booking agents they would come in handy in planning this trip or go with SOTC which i find that your trip would be fast i mean no time to relax, or you can come here go to Masai mara then go to Mombasa is the coastal town and beautiful you can get a tour to there as well to see the old town and beautful things Mombasa offer, so basically you will need to 2 weeks.
    YOu go to the site of magical kenya and see as Nairobi has many things to see.
    love

6. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Wow, Aruna, that is a dream trip, isn't it?

Nice travelogue on your Kenyan safari trip. The animals though I have seen them many a time in Discovery, etc., you don't seem to get enough of them The souvenirs looks so inviting, I wonder how you chose? The first thought that comes to my mind is gathering all of them into a big piece of cloth:biglaughand lugging them on my shoulder:rotfl.

Thanks for sharing.

Sindhu

7. Arunarc

Dear Sindhu
    So you are asking us to do loot maar there:biglaugh:biglaugh
    We did it myself and saby but we had our advisor there you know to control us:biglaughHow are you going to carry them in your bags...hehehe
    We were only allowed to carry 30 kilos so like good girls we brought only that much:crazy
    Seeing on TV is different Sindhu seeing them in real is exciting, we were so lucky during our games that we got to see most of them near to our vehicle.

8. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sindhu,
    come with a big bag and collect all that you like, you will go crazy bring empty bags and buy all the soveniers you like to buy.
    love

9. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Dear Aruna:

I know what I am going to do - bring a couple of jeans and a few tops and the rest of the luggage space will only be for the souvenirs:biglaugh.

Dear Alpha:

I sure want to make a trip but I wonder when... When I do I can only hope that my interest in wildlife will be more than the shopping - fingers crossed:biglaugh.

Sindhu

10. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Dear Aruna,

Beautiful write-up on a beautiful place. Have heard so much about kenya & the wildlife but your pics and post makes an interesting reading and is very informative.
    The link giving visa details, etc is again very helpful.

Did check your link to the IL meet (Jungle meet) - hope you guys didn't scare the animals away. Could feel all the fun instantly when I read those posts on your meet. That surely makes a unique meet - a meet in the jungle.

Hope your plans for a diff continent-al meet do materialise and we get to hear and see some more wonderful threads on all the fun you guys have on diff places on earth. Good luck !!

Very refreshing to read a diff IL meet this time. You guys rock.....

Love,