1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A trip down the memory lane

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mikku, Nov 8, 2011.

1. mikku

mikku Gold IL'ite

A re- ‘collection’ of memories from my childhood through teen hood….
    I started to write a snippet but it turned out looking like a thesis, please bear with me...

I accompanied my father on one of his informal meetings with his senior. On the way to the officer’s home, my father prepared me on what to expect from his senior and what was expected of me in return. He said, if the officer asks my name, I should say “my name is Mikku”. He repeated this to me a couple of times, I guess he knew what was coming, I nodded my head in affirmation. We reached the officer’s home and my father introduced me to him, he asked me the inevitable question, “what is your name?”…I earnestly answered him but he gave an awkward smile, my father asked him if he could get what I said, he said he couldn’t get my name…my father said “she put the same question to you , Sir”…my father’s fear had come true, though at the moment he wasn’t left with a choice but join the officer and laughed it out. As we were heading back home, my father appeared not very pleased, guess he wasn’t aware of the fact that three year old s tend to repeat what you say than coming up with an answer, well it does hold true for those born before the technology ‘upsurge’, or was I one of a kind?:bonk

A couple of years up the lane… I was totally disinterested to go to school on one particular day; I was searching for an excuse to skip school. I hadn’t prepared well for the science test. While walking to the bus-station my wacky brain came up with a strategy to avoid the wretched science test. As I reached the station, I waited behind the bushes till the bus left, it seemed to have waited for a bit longer than usual, must be for that one missing kid:hide:. As soon as the bus left the station, I started walking back home all excited, I almost succeeded in my wicked plan, convincing amma was the concluding part, which I thought would be a piece of cake. I went back home, told amma that the coach had left early so I couldn’t catch it. Amma of course being smarter than I am, sensed there was something fishy, since the coach was never on time, and arriving before time was implausible. And as my luck would have it, one of my uncles was visiting. Amma requested him to accompany me to the school, as my dad had left for work, and most importantly I cannot miss the science test, thought amma. I was cursing my fate, for sending this uncle to ruin my ‘best laid plans’. Amma gave him money for auto expenses but Mr. Scroogy scrooge preferred walking to the school that was more than couple of kilometers away from home, than spending a couple of bucks on auto:rant. Mr. S was new to the town, so I was his official GPS for the day. After a mental and physical exertion of my 7 year old self, we managed to reach the school by lunch time and had to take the test after all. I had to pay through the nose, for trying to escape from taking the test.

Fast forward to 11th grade…we had a period for extra- curricular activities every week, though most days there wasn’t much activity during the period. Our group preferred going home early to catch the afternoon serials on Doordarshan than loaf around:p. We found a way to not to be caught by the School officials, we jumped off a low lying wall of our school and off we ran to the bus-stop before any of our teachers could spot us. We had become proficient ‘wall -jumpers’ in no time:thumbsup, and were thoroughly enjoying the ecstasy… too bad the school did not include it as one of the competitions on the sports day, I assure you our batch of friends would have come out with flying colors. During one of the morning assemblies, the Principal declared that a wall- jumping incident was brought to his notice, and warned that if caught, the students involved would have to pay a heavy price. He insisted on the ‘c’ of price, little did he know that we deserved a prize with the ‘z’ for our hidden talent. This sure raised the antennae of the culprits:-(. We were gloom-struck as we could no longer continue with our regular feats. We thought:idea, since the wall was gaining so much attention and the sad looking main entrance was left alone, we should pay tribute to it, yes I realize; heights of dumbness it was. In my defense, the plan worked perfectly alright for the first few times except for this one time when we looked back to make sure no one was watching us sneak out of the gate. And it happened, our Physics teacher was watching us from a distance:eek:mg:, and of course we did not have a choice but take a reverse turn ('peeeeche mud') and get our esteemed selves back into the classroom. The teacher continued to have a stern look on her face and did not say a word, a visible serenity before the storm. The next day the teacher announced that she had caught a couple of trouble-makers trying to sneak through the main entrance, and expressed shock at the audacity of these students. She let us off the hook with a warning. I thank my stars that it was the Physics teacher and not the Hindi teacher, the mishaps in whose class would call for a separate honor.
    My saga with wall-jumping continued through my undergrad years. I swear, this time around, it was strictly to take a shorter route to get out of the college. Though it is not important to know that I lead my fellow students into ‘performing’ the act:hide:.

6 people like this.

2. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi mikku,
    I quite enjoyed your little anecdotes . I guess we all have a lot of such fun incidents, isn't it? Not a bad topic for a thesis subject,btw.:)

1 person likes this.
  3. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mikku,

I was enjoying all your experiences..
    We always have these kinda fun in our life..!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. Riyakathir

Riyakathir Platinum IL'ite

Mikku...

you should have studied in my college.. where there are three gates.. and i have to show gate pass to all those three gates.. even my dad is not allowed to meet me... he will be in principles room after lot of verification then only i will be coming there.

you know the wall is about 4 persons should stand on shoulders each other.. still cant touch the end of the wall... thatttttttttttttt big...

that much strict...... i was the person who hs tail at back like you.. all didnt work over there.... all fate... its my dad's plan to control my tail....

1 person likes this.
  5. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Hmmmmm.........
    Seems lots of adventures & rewards..........
    Enjoyed reading. I too was a bit of mischevious when small but became a very very obedient by the time I enter the college premises; which is tooooooooooo bad for the teenagers.
    Result -- I missed lots of fun and sweet memories of college life.

Regards,
    Latha.

1 person likes this.
  6. mikku

mikku Gold IL'ite

Hi Mindi,
    Thank you for the first feedback...so true, not a bad topic at all for thesis :D

7. mikku

mikku Gold IL'ite

Thank You Sabari :)

8. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mikku.....
    Thanks for taking me with you on your trip.......
    Enjoyed it and was smiling throughout .....

1 person likes this.
  9. mikku

mikku Gold IL'ite

Hi Riya,

Thanks for visiting the thread and your feedback....i am sorry to hear you couldn't explore much during your college days...hehe...I do not come across as mischievous when compared to my friends and my own sisters, guess I was surrounded by trouble-makers who brought out my hidden tail :p

1 person likes this.
  10. mikku

mikku Gold IL'ite

Hi Latha,

Thanks for the feedback....I attribute these so- called adventures to my laziness :p good for you that you were a well behaved one :)