1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A tribute to my mother

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, May 12, 2012.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

I dedicate this to my mother who brought me up nicely with a vision on future. She lived up to a ripe age ninety four. Though she had little education she had lot of experience and worldly knowledge. For her she portrayed herself as a jackfruit. The jackfruit has a thorny appearance, but inside has delicious fruit.

She had four daughters and one son only. But she never showed any discrimination among her children. She had studied in Telugu medium up to 4th or 5th class only and got married when she was twelve. she had learned Tamil after her marriage.

She was like a big banyan tree of our family. She had eighteen grand children and twenty eight great grand children. Her grand children were professionals like doctors, chartered accountant, lawyer, IAS, bankers and gazetted officers and they all adored her. At any function you could see her surrounded by her grand children.

Almost all our relatives and neighbours admired her and sought her advice. Though she was born in 19th century, she was adaptable to 20th and 21st century culture. She was an expert cook, a dietician, fashion jewelry designer, a beautician and a quick leaner of modern gadgets. She was a connoisseur of Carnatic music and fine arts.

She was very pious and her hospitality drew a lot of relatives during the annual temple festival at Sriperumbudur and Kanchipuram where she spent the major part of her life. She had a generous heart and was willing to forgo her meals in order to feed a hungry person.

I was blessed to serve her during her last days. Even on the day of her death she felt that her children should have their meals and should not starve because of her death. She left this world on 8th March 1998 around 10.30 in the morning. I can still visuvalise the happenings of that morning. She was confined to bed only for the last 48 hours.

My sister, my cousin and his wife were with me on that day. It was Telugu New Year day and we used to celebrate it as my mother hailed from Tirupathi. Though we all knew her end was fast approaching I made payasam and other festival food as my cousin was also from Kalahasthi and used to celebrate Yughadi. I finished the cooking fast and my mother called me around 8 O' clock and told me to have our lunch. I told her it was too early and she told that her body was becoming numb from the foot slowly and she would not last long. I told her in that case I wanted her to eat somthing. Reluctantly she told me to bring rice with rasam. I mixed and brought it and gave her just four spoonful and then she said that was enough.I did not want to force her. . I also gave her thulasi thirtham. While I was feeding her I told my sister to serve lunch to others. Then we two sisters tried to eat in a bowl, but could not swallow even two mouthful. In the mean while my hubby was chanting Vishnu Sahasranamam at her bedside.

We returned to mother’s bed side and saw her life ebbing out. My hubby chanted the karna manthram in her right ear.

Her end came at 10.31 a.m. She had a peaceful death, but my only regret was that my brother was not with us. He had gone to US with his wife to be with his daughter as she was expecting her first child.

Thus the banyan tree that spread its vizuthukal and was giving solace and comfort to relatives and friends had been obliterated, but we believe that her blessings would be always with us.

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Reading this just brought tears to my ears. All through this post I was just thinking about my grandmother who aw very similar to your mother. She passed away 2 years back and I was not able to see her. But I do believe that she is with me at all time because I got pregnant about a month later with a girl child. Yes now my dd sure does lot of things like my grandmother.

3. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Dear mam
    It was so touching and inspirational to read about your mother.I have always felt that the will power and determination which our ancestors had cannot be matched and what you have written is testimony to that thought!

thanks
    regards
    Sowmya

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pushpa Mami

A touching post and inspirational post about your mother. Glad to know that you were able to serve her during her last days and you were all there and you gave her tulsi water. Her blessings will be always with you.

Your post brought me memories of my grandmother who was also like your mother having will power. She was expert in making murukku. She was there for my sister's marriage and for the marriage to be performed without any problems she had prayed that she will make 1001 kozakattai and after my sister's marriage every Friday she used to make 101 kozakattai. She brought all the vessels that were necessary for the marriage. She herself used to go and buy vegetables though she did not know to speak hindi will talk to them in tamil only. She was there during my sister's delivery in Delhi and alone she used to come to the hospital.

I am also happy that I was there to look after her . She was suffering from cancer and I took care of her. Before she died she told me you will get a good husband and I wont be there to pray for you. You pray to God for the marriage to be performed well without any problems. Her blessings only I am able to lead my life peacefully and got a good husband also who is very economic and now in his retired life doing lot of punya by going when someone dies and he and his friends arrange everything before the priests come.

with namaskarams
    viji

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Pushpavalli Ma,
    I am glad in one sense, that you were near her during those needy hours. It is a bhagyam and what a great soul she is, with Vishnu Sahasranam chanting and hearing the Karna Mantra. Sure her blessings are there with your family! :)

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Mrs.Srinivasan,

I was very much moved after reading about your mother. There is so much to learn from the people who lived in the last century. Even in her own suffering, she gave importance to the welfare of her own children. The words that she would forgo her meal in order to feed a hungry person brought tears into my eyes. She is definitely a role model for many of us to lead an ideal and purposeful life.

Viswa

7. Keerti16

Keerti16 Silver IL'ite

Dear Pushpa

A lovely post that reflects how you feel....

Cheers

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Ramya,
    Thanks for dropping in and posting your first FB on the eve of Mothers Day! Almost all mothers and grandmothers have similar qualities. Glad to know that your grandmother had similar qualities like my mother. You are blessed to have a daughter who does things identical to your grandmother.
    My blessings to you and your child,
    With love,
    PS

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sowmya,
    Thanks for your sweet comments.
    True, our elders had strong will power and they were guiding the family members in the right path. Those who heeded to their advice benefited in life.
    Love,
    PS

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Viji,
    My mother also was an expert in making crisp, tasty and beautiful murukku. People used to come to our house to enjoy her lip smacking dishes.
    My mother was keenly interested to choose a suitable match for her grand children. She was a gem and all her grand children loved her dearly.
    You were really blessed to attend to your grandmother while she was ailing. Elders blessings are worth than any material things and we are immensely benefited.
    My DH also used to go to the houses of friends and relatives when a death occurred and used to help them in whatever way he could. These kind of good deeds is very commendable.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and wish you a robust health, a happy and contented life,
    With love,
    PS