1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A tight spot a day keeps boredom at bay!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi sri,

Though a tight spot keeps boredom at bay, it is bad for my heart..i usually have a good quota with the kids and FILbonkbonk.

Only the other day FIL brought a person home for whom i was supposed to get a job through my friends circle....was pushed to a corner...it was a easy way out that is another thing....

On a lighter note..this 14 years +2 years with veda have taught me how to get out of a tight noose/spot/corner whatever.......

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniyasir,

I cannot stop marveling at your themes. At times, you pick a simple, routine chore of the day and spin it into a profound missive. And sometimes, you pinpoint on an innocent tight spot and can draw analogies to civilizations and cultures. Another wonderful piece, you are a natural!

Adversity is our best friend at times. I once lived in Scandinavia - an absolute heaven in terms of social welfare. But it made me such a log of wood. I realised that when people have everything guaranteed from cradle to the grave- they lose out on the edge, the urge to live. There are no tight spots, there are even no traffic jams. A simple issue like a water pipe bursting in winter will have the locals hyperventilating. Whereas, we would just jaunt outside, fill some snow in a trough and get our water. They say that an Indian encounters more excitement in one day, than a Swede does in a lifetime.

Now I live in a place where again my animal instincts have to come on prowl. It is a near jungle and the fittest survive. And belive me, I dont always survive best, but I am getting fitter. Tight spots maketh a woman.

Apparently, the great trading communities of India the Gujjus and the Marwaris have a simple rule when they find a groom for their daughters. They dont necessarily look for a guy who has succeeded in business, though that will do. If a guy has invested in business, lost everything and then bounced back into the trade- they prefer him to one who has never failed. And if the groom has failed twice, they give him more weightage.

Failures, tightspots, pitfalls- they make us what we are. Above all, they make us human.

Great, great,great going, Cheeniyakins!

regards
    V24

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC
    Pardon my faux pas! Steve Irwin was indeed felled by the sting of a sting ray and not by a crocodile. The pity is that a sting ray doesn't even rhyme with crocodile for me to defend my statement! Thank you for the enlightenment!
    Rajoo would love your comment when communicated. I know him only too well!
    And dont forget to be in touch as hitherto, naughtily naradar way!
    Sri

4. Cheeniya

Dear Shanthi
    Nothing hardens a heart as much as adventure! Unless of course you try to test how hard it has become by exposing yourself to a sting ray as Steve did!
    Veda sounds like 'in house' red adair! Good show!
    Sri

5. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    I have always found replying to your FB a greater challenge than writing the lead post!
    While you cant stop marvelling at my themes, I cant stop marvelling at your FBs! That's why I keep telling you that I never consider my threads complete until they have had the benefit of your response.
    I can visualise what life can be in a place like Scandinavia. * A shudder passes through my massive frame!* And I am grateful to God to be able to live in a place where there is no dearth of excitement. In a place like Triplicane, if you happen to get bored, all you need to do is to look up at the sky and point out something imaginary to a passerby and within seconds the whole city would be looking at the sky!
    Or tell someone that Pillayar drank milk from a devotee and within minutes, all the Pillayar temples will be thronged by devotees in thousands carrying sachets of milk in their hands! Excitement is for the asking here and there is no wonder that Indian brains are considered the most active in the world market!
    Gujjus and Marwaris have this business acumen in their blood!
    And finally, a big AMEN to your 'Failures, tightspots, pitfalls- they make us what we are. Above all, they make us human'
    Sri

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniyasir,

Thank you for your kind words. I was away from IL for a week, and the first thing I did on getting back was to check if you have any new posts. I love what you say about Triplicane. My mom visited relatives there for a month when she was nine. She desribes it as a real fairy land, a street that never sleeps. It is amazing how we can all sink our doubts and stare at the sky for the flying unicorn. I suppose in our own way, we all long for a touch of magic, intrigue, a challenge, a search, a tight spot in our lives.

But honestly, take it from one who had nothing but tight spots in her life for twelve years- I dont relish them much and steer clear of any potential tight spots. I am a creature of habit, schedules, timetables, booking 60 days in advance, re confirming every twenty dates, checking in three hours before departure, removing even a nail file and anklets before checks. Oh, I keep things all planned and lined up. Which is why I end up in tight spots in the first place. But I presume, tight spots are God's way of telling us that we should not pre plan and take nature for granted. The Arabs never plan for more than three days ahead, anything longer is an affront to Allah. There is much wisdom in that faith.

regards
    Vidya

7. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    How true it is that a man's learning process never ceases until his dying day! It is news to me that Arabs never plan for more than three days ahead. This means that the level of frustration must be the lowest in the Middle East! We all know that man proposes but God disposes but in spite of this knowledge we keep on planning for future. I have heard that Arabs do not lend money for interest but do they insure? Is insuring oneself regarded as an affront to Allah?
    But having said all this, I have also learnt from experience that God does not generally interfere with our planning as long as it does not interfere with His own! Of course, He gives us complete freedom in petty things of our day to day life but the moment we do anything that appears even remotely as defying His authority, He makes His presence felt!
    Sri

8. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,

I fully agree with you... It reminds me of Rajini's movie Batsha, where he says..Nallavangala kadavul sodhippan ana kaivida mattan... Kettavangalukku ellathayum koduppan, but kai vittuduvan...

Yes, I have also heard that from my mother... Her concept is do your duty and pray, things will work... It has been working for me so long.... touch wood...

Thanx for the soothing words... I have done the last minute damage control, and slowly got out of the tight spot and eased out the tension....... Pheeeeeeeeeww...

Thanx......

9. Cheeniya

Dear Veda
    Happy to hear that your damage control exercise was successful and you got out of thetight spot. Each tight spot, when successfully negotiated, enhances our belief in ourselves. Sometimes it makes us become aware of our own latent talents that may have remained unrecognised so far!
    Sri

10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC,
    Inspite of a green signal from your new Mentor, you are lying low ! Why, Naradi, what happened? Are you sick of "kozhi solling" & "chindu mudinjing" - I can't believe !!
    Love,
    La C.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007