1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A superwoman in Ramayana

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by plantscantalk, Feb 27, 2013.

1. plantscantalk

plantscantalk Gold IL'ite

Thank you ! Great to see your reply :)

True! It'd be great to get more info about others as well

Thank you. Glad to know that you were reminded of your grandma telling you all about Shri Shabari.

Yeah, info at the fingertips :) . Thanks for doing the 'leg work'. Really appreciate it.

Thank you ShriNiketan for throwing light on Bhakti yoga.

2. plantscantalk

plantscantalk Gold IL'ite

I happened to listen to this brilliant rendition by the ever-so delightful and knowledgable Smt. Vishakha Hari. I was happy to see that she had enunciated and done a Hari Katha on Shri Shabari Moksha www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4ZXChy15wg

The duration of the video is 50mts but, i promise w/o any exaggeration, Vishakha ji was so brilliant as she sang songs in Samskrtam, Marathi, Telugu and explained in Tamil, with a bit of humour thrown in, that it was the best religious lecture i had listened to w/o keeping an eye on the clock.

Here is a short synopsis (obviously, this does NO justice to Vishakha ji's beautiful exposition):

1. Shri Shabari's name was not really her name. It referred to a name of a tribe to which She belonged.

2. She did not know anything : how to speak, behave etc.

3. While wandering through the forest, She came across a river Pampaa.

4. As she approached the river, she seemed to feel something and appreciate nature. The river was in the vicinity of beautiful surroundings, greenery.

5. She was taken in by that beauty and when she seemed to view the creatures gamboling around, there seemed to be a transformation in her heart. She seemed to feel sorry for having killed the creatures in the past. And 'felt' the pain that She must have inflicted on them. She took a vow to renounce killing and eating meat.

6. Being surprised at her own transformation, she thought about the probable cause. She later came to know that the river was in proximity of Matanga muni's hermitage.

7. Ever since She came to know this, She started a secretive kainkaryam of cleaning the paths, removing the stones, clearing the thorns away, picking up flowers etc.

8. This was noticed over a period of time by the rshi and He asked his disciples to investigate. They caught Her 'red-handed' and She couldn't answer the questions they had asked.

9. Finally, the rshi, asked Her why She was doing all this and what She wanted. Shabari, to Her surprise, was able to cogently express Her thoughts - " O sage! I'm an object devoid of any knowledge. I don't know what right/wrong is, so i don't know what to ask"

10. The sage was pleased by Her answer, devotion and asked Her to stay at the hermitage.

11. Whle the time came for Him to depart, He called His disciples and asked them what they wanted. Each one expressed a 'laukika' wish.

12. Finally, Shri Shabari was called. She was surprised at having been put on the same pedestal as the other disciples. She again expressed Her thoughts that She really didn't know what She wanted and was happy by the sage's kindness.

13. The sage, moved, initiated Her into the Shri Rama mantra and explained to Her what, how, why the Tiru-naama can be chanted. The sage then took His samadhi.

14. Ever since, Shri Shabari used to constantly chant the Lord's name. Years passed and finally the Lord made His appearance.

15. Though Shri Shabari had grown grayer with age, the news that two handsome youths were coming towards the hermitage made Her jump up like a teen and bound towards the visitors.

Her Lord had come.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  3. Sindhurak

Sindhurak Platinum IL'ite

Very beatifull Discription dear.. I felt like "So many things left in epics to know about" after reading this