1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A superwoman in Ramayana

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by plantscantalk, Feb 27, 2013.

1. plantscantalk

plantscantalk Gold IL'ite

Nice to see you here RGS :). Thank you for your reply.

Thank you Sai Shakti sister. Glad you liked reading it.

Thank you Aruna. What you say is true. Can you mention some names? It'd be helpful for a pointed search about them.

Shanvyyyyyy :)... You are a treasure trove. This came to me as a forward, so didn't pay attention to the source. BTW, have you read "Shri Rama katha rasavahini" published by Prashanti Nilayam? It is extremely well written.

Thank you Everhappy. I am ever thankful to you for pointing out this link. I can save it for posterity.

Thank you. The episode is beautiful by itself :)

Thank you. I knew very rudimentary facts about Her and just got some insight into Her life.

Thank you Hrastro. I'd done a superficial reading of Sundarakandam and the verses which describe Hanuman's wait to meet Sita devi, while hearing Her lament, gives a different picture of Her state of mind. She laments about Her fate (!) and when She meets Hanuman and is convinced that it is not Ravana in disguise, repeats many a time that She'd wait for the Lord until some particular time which Ravana has given as a deadline for Her to change Her mind. If He would not reach Lanka by that time, She'd commit suicide. Hanuman has a tough task at hand trying to console Her and boost Her self-confidence (!) that Shri Ramachandra prabhu was pining for Her and would never let Her down. In those scenes, it is very easy to forget that She is NOT a mere mortal and none of the players in this drama are :)

Shri Shabari's pining is a totally different scene altogether.

2 people like this.
  2. plantscantalk

plantscantalk Gold IL'ite

Thanks for this info, Shanvy. Really appreciate your insight and help. Let me try to get the translated books you had mentioned.

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Nicely brought out the qualities of another superwoman from Ramayana.
    In Bhakthi yoga, bhava is very much essential..and each and every devotee develops their own bhava and Shri Sabari's bhava seemed to be on the motherly side...beautifully pointed out..:)

Sriniketan

1 person likes this.
  4. BharatS

BharatS Gold IL'ite

if i am not wrong, even mandodari(ravana's wife) and Tara(vali wife) are also revered as great per ramayana.

dont know the reason but would be happy if someone can brief

Thanks

5. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

They were pativrata - the ideal wife who knew dharma and could guide, counsel and support their husbands in their role as a king/brother/man/father etc.

6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I was able to trace the interpretation of this story as vAtsalya bhAva to Tulsidas' Gitavali (interestingly, not Ramcharitmanas!). Apparently he compares Shabari feeding Rama to Kausalya feeding her son! So your perspective does indeed have a formal tradition dating back to the 15th-16th centuries!

Gotta loooooveeee the age of inpharmayshun!

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@plantscantalk, yes. have a group of people who are more spiritually inclined that i get to absorb a lot being amidst them. and yes have read it.

@soka, from what i have understood, there are more to these branch stories, and it can be quite interesting if all of them are pooled in one place.

8. smritisinha

smritisinha Platinum IL'ite

Wow PCT, beautifully written. Loved the description.

For a few moments, I was transported to my granny's room, listening to her voice telling me the story of Shri Rama and Shri Shabari.

Thank you! :)

9. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

plantscantalk you have pictured sabari well.As Aruna said there are many characters in Ramayana who were not brought out.

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear PCT,

Most impressive! You actually downloaded the Bhakti Bhava into your post!

L, Kamla