1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

A Stay-at-Home Mom Looking for advice and ideas

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by Flora1, May 31, 2010.

1. Flora1

Flora1 New IL'ite

Hi, I am a stay-at-home mom.
    My DH has long working hours and also travels a lot. I have 2 wonderful but small kids. My DH comes back very late in the night. So its me attending to kiddoos whole day. Can't also go out much because its not easy with a toddler. So I am basically dealing with kids and maid (her tantrums) entire day.

It becomes very frustrating and depressing at times. No one to talk to the whole day.

I would appreciate If you can give me some ideas on how to keep myself busy. What to do to get some satisfaction for myself and keep me sane.

Other stay-at-home moms, please share. How do you spend your entire day. What are the activities that you do to keep your mind fresh and active.

2. sudo1974

sudo1974 New IL'ite

hi,
    i can understand how tedious it is to be with kids and the tantrums all day, without anyone to talk here in dubai. we sail in the same boat, since i've a toddler too, other one is big, goes to school and independent. we've recently moved to dubai, though i'm in gulf since last 12 yrs. i've experienced both worlds, of a working women, where your life is so busy and now, a life of ahouse wife, you feel really helpless, you are just left for yourself, no one really to hold on to. best thing is to have some close friends with whom you can chit chat everyday, but thats not easy too, here in dubai. people dont respond, simply not bothered when you feel like talking...but well, you can try doing art of living course, where you have regular follow ups, you feel stress relieved and very energetic too.

3. sarma

sarma Senior IL'ite

Some things a net savvy SAHM can do:

• Blogging on some issues of interest
    • cataloging and tagging family photos/video editing for posterity
    • if savvy with photos and basic photo editing, Cleanups and making creative albums
    • even providing those services from home for a local digital photo studio
    • enrolling in a open university in a course of your interest
    • following stock market and economy and making notes in your blog on industries of your choice (not everything is chronologically reported in a useful format); even movie gossip if you like or tv soaps...whatever...
    • advertising your available SAHM services on craigslist or something like that and helping large companies with UI testing etc.
    • Providing a job board or something where you track the available jobs in an area of interest
    • writing: stories, short stories, jokes, collecting jokes fro your web site/blog
    • collating twitter news from celebrities in to your blog. A whole host of celebrities are twittering...
    • reviews of family products
    This is the information age. Nobody is disconnected when they have net access. Be creative. There are ton of things to do.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
    2 people like this.
  4. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Sarma, fantastic ideas:thumbsup.

OP,
    Your profile says that you are in India. Is this correct? The reason I ask this is if you are in India then you can take your vehicle/take public transport and go around and attend hobby classes or do shopping etc. This may be little hard if you are in US as public transport is not much.
    However, wherever you are, I think SAHM have a lot to do. We get bored only if we allow ourselves to get bored.
    Think about some thing to educate your self more,or go for a part time job;write a blog,plan short vacations for your family. Last but not the least, browse through IL:thumbsup. This is an ocean and you will take months before you finish reading many of the threads.
    Good Luck.
    Let us now what you plan

5. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

What about helping poor people to read and write. You can help neighborhood students with their school work. What about sponsoring older couple and do shopping and helping them? It does not give money, but great satisfaction.

Good luck.

6. usr12

usr12 New IL'ite

Flora ,

One thing I found useful is try and identify some personal/educational goals that u want to achieve .. These goals can be a simple as getting a clear complexion / weight reduction or some career oriented things like increase business / general knowledge/ accent reduction etc.. Once you have identified ur goals try and get free resources from internet and set some specific schedule for your study /excercise (U can do it at home while children watch TV/ play) .. Once u work towards these I am sure U will get more energy and motivation..

7. Flora1

Flora1 New IL'ite

Thank you all for these great ideas....... I will soon let you know what I have decided.

8. AlpanaD

AlpanaD New IL'ite

Flora,

i can understand your situation. You can blog or start your website if you like writing. Also, you can take some courses(online is also fine). Other option is volunteering. I feel when you do something that you like gives you a lot of satisfaction.

Alpana