1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A questioning mind...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by bhagyachinu, Nov 29, 2010.

1. bhagyachinu

bhagyachinu Gold IL'ite

While browsing i came across this Mulla story:
    A disciple asked Nasrudin:
    ‘How did you become a spiritual teacher?’
    ‘We all know what we should do with our lives, but we always reject it,’ replied Nasrudin. ‘In order to understand that truth, I had to go through a rather strange experience. One day, I was sitting by the roadside wondering what to do, when a man came over and stood in front of me. To get rid of him, I made a gesture, and he copied me. That amused me, so I made another gesture, which he again imitated, but this time adding another. Then we started to sing and to do all kinds of exercises. I felt better and better and I came to really love my new companion. A few weeks passed and one day I asked him: ‘Tell me, Teacher, what should I do next?’
    And the man replied: ‘But I thought you were the teacher!’

I just observe people and their behavior learning from them – what to do and what not to do. It’s just trial and error. What I consider real and very grave might be just trivial, meaningless. We do so many things just by observing, not questioning it at all. May be “just follow our orders, don’t ask questions” repeated often by our parents made us just follow whatever without questioning. I wonder when my son asks “amma, why is three is not called four and why can’t we call four three?”. I tell him I have never thought about it. I think we will save a lot of time, effort and money if we just ask “why?” and “ Is it really required?”.
    The day I asked “is it really required” cleared my home of lot of junk. I guess the day I ask my mind “is it really required or am I doing/thinking it just by imitating somebody/something?”, lot of mental junk will be cleared.

2. Perfectionist

Perfectionist Senior IL'ite

We generally tend to follow our traditions or behaviour of people around us. Some things are good for us but others useless, still we follow it .We waste money,time,energy and what not to follow our friends.

Yup the day we will start asking our mind - Do we really need this?? We will be at peace with ourselves.

Thanks,