1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

A questionaire to Indian women settled in US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Apr 15, 2009.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

1. Do your children prefer only pasta, noodles, sandwich and other western dishes for breakfast and lunch?
    2. Do you cook Indian food at least once in a day?
    3. Do you always prefer to wear western dresses when you go out?
    4. Do you put pottu on your forehead every day?
    5. Do you allow your children to choose subjects on their own for the degree course or you force upon them your choice?
    6. Are you very particular about maintaining the status and keep buying unwanted things?
    7. Do you converse in your mother tongue with your children?
    8. According to the saying, “when you are in Rome do as Romans do.” Will you allow your children dating?
    9. Do you throw parties for birthdays and anniversary every year?
    10. If given the option would you like to return to India?
    Dear Ilites,
    There is no compulsion to answer. You can freely post your opinion regarding this questionarie even if you do not want to answer.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Dear Madam,

1. Do your children prefer only pasta, noodles, sandwich and other western dishes for breakfast and lunch? No,but they include this in their diet
    2. Do you cook Indian food at least once in a day?yes,thrice a day
    3. Do you always prefer to wear western dresses when you go out?No,Not by preference-but during winter we have no option left
    4. Do you put pottu on your forehead every day?Yes
    5. Do you allow your children to choose subjects on heir own for the degree course or you force upon them your choice?NA
    6. Are you very particular about maintaining the status and keep buying unwanted things?No
    7. Do you converse in your mother tongue with your children?Yes
    8. According to the saying, “when you are in Rome do as Romans do.” Will you allow your children dating?NA
    9. Do you throw parties for birthdays and anniversary every year?Only kids Birthday
    10. If given the option would you like to return to India?Not now

May i know what is the intention of the questionaire?

3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Supriya,
    Just curiosity to know how many are trying hard to keep their Indian identity, Hiow many had adapted to the changed life style whole heartedly. As I found people are being neither here nor there and trying to pursue both cultures, just for knowing whether majority of the people are staying on compulsion or on free will.
    PS

4. suvidhya

suvidhya Senior IL'ite

wow.. good set of questions.. here are my answers..
    Iam here for past 2 years.

1. mine is still an infant.. he eats our indian rice (paruppu saadam, keerai saadam etc), idli, dosai.. and rice cereals as brkfast

2. yes, thrice a day

3. no, i am always in salwarkameez.. very rare in westerns.
    4. yes, never miss even a day
    5. NA
    6. No
    7. Yes.. always.
    8. NA
    9. Jus for my son's b'day
    10. no..not now

5. Hemalata

Hemalata Senior IL'ite

1. Do your children prefer only pasta, noodles, sandwich and other western dishes for breakfast and lunch? NA
    2. Do you cook Indian food at least once in a day? Twice a day.. For breakfast we eat cereals.
    3. Do you always prefer to wear western dresses when you go out? No. I wear salwars, sarees, jeans, skirt everything just like I was in India.
    4. Do you put pottu on your forehead every day? yes
    5. Do you allow your children to choose subjects on their own for the degree course or you force upon them your choice? NA
    6. Are you very particular about maintaining the status and keep buying unwanted things? No. not at all
    7. Do you converse in your mother tongue with your children? NA
    8. According to the saying, “when you are in Rome do as Romans do.” Will you allow your children dating? NA
    9. Do you throw parties for birthdays and anniversary every year? No.
    10. If given the option would you like to return to India? Yes

6. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

1. Do your children prefer only pasta, noodles, sandwich and other western dishes for breakfast and lunch?n/a.
    2. Do you cook Indian food at least once in a day?Yes.
    3. Do you always prefer to wear western dresses when you go out?Sometimes.Otherwise prefer to wear Indian.
    4. Do you put pottu on your forehead every day?No .Its not becoz I am in US but becoz I used to put it according to mood even in India.
    5. Do you allow your children to choose subjects on their own for the degree course or you force upon them your choice?n/a
    6. Are you very particular about maintaining the status and keep buying unwanted things?No.
    7. Do you converse in your mother tongue with your children?n/a(dont have kids yet)
    8. According to the saying, “when you are in Rome do as Romans do.” Will you allow your children dating?No
    9. Do you throw parties for birthdays and anniversary every year?Sometimes.
    10. If given the option would you like to return to India?Definitely not right now.

7. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Pushpa...
    Where is your answer:)???
    - Nitha

8. vids

vids Senior IL'ite

1. Do your children prefer only pasta, noodles, sandwich and other western dishes for breakfast and lunch? NA (No kids yet)
    2. Do you cook Indian food at least once in a day? Yes
    3. Do you always prefer to wear western dresses when you go out? I wear all kinds of dresses as in India...Jeans, skirts, salwars...mostly western as it is COLD.
    4. Do you put pottu on your forehead every day? No...I haven;t changed...was this way in India..I wear pottu as per the dress I wear...
    5. Do you allow your children to choose subjects on their own for the degree course or you force upon them your choice? NA
    6. Are you very particular about maintaining the status and keep buying unwanted things? Nope..!
    7. Do you converse in your mother tongue with your children? NA...but I will when I have kids
    8. According to the saying, “when you are in Rome do as Romans do.” Will you allow your children dating? NA...will go back to India before that..!!
    9. Do you throw parties for birthdays and anniversary every year? Yes...we do it back in India so we do here as well...
    10. If given the option would you like to return to India? No, not now..! But we will return after 4-5 years!

9. limkabook

limkabook Bronze IL'ite

1. Do your children prefer only pasta, noodles, sandwich and other western dishes for breakfast and lunch?
    Yes and No - Prefers to eat indian for breakfast and Western for lunch

2. Do you cook Indian food at least once in a day?- Yes , i do

3. Do you always prefer to wear western dresses when you go out?- 90% Yes

4. Do you put pottu on your forehead every day?- No

5. Do you allow your children to choose subjects on their own for the degree course or you force upon them your choice? - Not sure abt that, longgg way to go

6. Are you very particular about maintaining the status and keep buying unwanted things?- Not at all, only buy what we need

7. Do you converse in your mother tongue with your children?- Try to

8. According to the saying, “when you are in Rome do as Romans do.” Will you allow your children dating? - I guess , Yes

9. Do you throw parties for birthdays and anniversary every year? - Yes for kids and No for US

10. If given the option would you like to return to India?- Yes, after couple of years

10. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Now I am going to be the black sheep.

1. Do your children prefer only pasta, noodles, sandwich and other western dishes for breakfast and lunch? My 8 month old is on food stirke. She prefers only her mother's milk.
    2. Do you cook Indian food at least once in a day? Once..yes. Since I am trying to loose my hard earned calories, I munch on raw veggies salad one time. Are salads Indian??? I dunno

3. Do you always prefer to wear western dresses when you go out? Mostly yes. It depends on the place I go and my mood too. If going to temples or for get to-gethers w/ Indian phamily, I wear Churidar. For shopping or trips, I prefer pants or skirts. But there has been days when I have worn jean to temple and churi's to mall. I guess that makes me a person with no identity:banana
    4. Do you put pottu on your forehead every day? No, only when I go to temple or if I have mood. The damage is already done. I have been like this while I was in India. So I guess my stay in us has got nothing to do with it.

5. Do you allow your children to choose subjects on their own for the degree course or you force upon them your choice? Never will I force my child. I have learnt that from my parents. They forced me to take subjects w/o my liking .So history never repeats in my case.

6. Are you very particular about maintaining the status and keep buying unwanted things? Buying unwanted things..NEVER. I value money very much. But maintaining status..yes. I like my house to be decent and comfortable.

7. Do you converse in your mother tongue with your children? Yeah,but I use english words too.

8. According to the saying, “when you are in Rome do as Romans do.” Will you allow your children dating? I will break her legs :). See I am a true Indiyan.

9. Do you throw parties for birthdays and anniversary every year? I am planning to throw one on my LO's 1st birthday. Our annniversary and my bday I cut the cake. Triple choc. layered Black forrest:biggrin2:.

10. If given the option would you like to return to India? I plan to return back to India. I love being in India, surrounded by our rel. and its lack of privacy. But I truly dislike the pollution and congestion.

Well, In a nutshell, I guess I am a nomad with a big identity crisis :))
    - Nitha