1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

A question about bollywood costumes

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by Norka, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Norka

Norka New IL'ite

Hi everyone!
    I am not Indian but I am a big fan of India & its culture. I really like bollywood dancing & I have a team of girls who dance with me. We are preparing to perform & several questions have come up about costumes; I'll be happy for any advice, thanks!

I guess I have trouble expressing what I want to the sellers in the Indian shop because I don't know exactly how to name it! I know I want a lehnga choli, but that's about it :bonk I am very new to all this & I probably look really stupid standing there trying to explain what I'm looking for :) I was wondering if anyone could give some tips on color, fabric, skirt width, & anything else that you think could be helpful.

Thank you again, have a wonderful day!

2. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Norka,

If you are at India, then it should not be a problem as most upmarket stores stock these lehngas and the typical bollywood style you are looking for. If you are outside india, you can order them online. I will try finding a couple of sites for you on it!

:)

Arch

3. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi norka,
    anarkali gress(long skirt like shirt with slacks like trousers) are also good for dancing but
    as u have decided on the best dress for dance-lenga (skirt) choli(blouse) & chunni(long scarf) u need help to choose fabric,colour etc
    colour-avoid red,back,white
    go for sky blue,pink,orange,purple,green............
    fabric-Net is in fashion with satin lining in lenga & choli.chunni without lining
    width-normally 2.5 metres to 4 metres
    lenght-2-4 inches below knees.slacks underneath can be knee length
    matching jewellary-lots of bangles,anklets,necklace,long earrings........
    put bindi & if possible henna on hands & feets (specially soles)
    download some photos of Indian actress which u want to copy & carry it to shopkeepers.they will find easier to understand what u are looking for.
    hope it helps
    pragati