1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A peep into the world of ghosts!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meeta
    Sorry if you were disappointed by this thread. As you know, even in very serious cinemas and TV serials, there will be frequent comic interludes to lighten the atmosphere. Except people like Adoor Gopalakrishnan and Satyajit Ray who never believed in unnecessary interruptions in their narration, every other Director follows this comedy formula. I remember a film produced by Sridhar decades back titled, 'Kalyana Parisu' . It was a great tear jerker but ran very successfully and the comic track of that movie involving the late Thangavelu and his wife Saroja is still being talked about and relished!
    That story about your attempt to scare the boys which fell flat finally was very interesting. The moral of the story is that you should never attempt anything offbeat without proper rehearsal!
    Sri

2. maya08

maya08 Senior IL'ite

hi cheeniya sir,

my my my...what a goldmine of information it is for all the readers who want to know more about these otherworldly spirits. i think sir, you have put even wikipedia to shame.:thumbsup

this title caught my eye and made me wonder...should i or shouldnt i open the thread...seeing that it was already past 1 a.m.
    and so i did only to find more information about my ever favourite topic of aavi,pei,mohini,kaateri and bhoothams.:biggrin2:

i loved the way you have classified each supernatural being and making it unique in its own way.plus thanks to all the other members as well....more were discovered along the classification process.:clap

i have an experience that i would like to share(even though they are not MY actual experiences)...

while i was going through the posts of THIS thread just now, my sister had come online after a long time and we were chatting. after the "hi's and how are you's " she was telling me about her new job in a newspaper as a journalist. she was assigned the task of being a crime reporter. so after finishing her work which was covering a murder story that took place yesterday, she headed home. it was 4 a.m. while she was driving the car, she smelt a faint fragrance of jasmine. and then she realised her camera had still contained the images of the dead man she had taken earlier. as soon as she reached home she informed her father and she was advised to immediately take a bath and do some meditation. the news that she covered made into the front page yesterday.

talk about the dead following you back in the wee hours of the morning...and more so because she had the photographs with her....:boo:

cheers
    -maya-

a p.s. to anandchitra ma'am
    i absolutely love your idea of playing these pranks...i had attempted a few times(or i should say planned them)...but it never materialised.

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniyasir,

And where will you draw the line in choosing your topics? From the creepy cockroach to the creepy ghost- wow you span strings of existence!! Coming from Kerala, we have the first rights to talk about all matter or non-matter supramaterial, paranormal and supernatural. Trivandrum, 30 years back, had haunted houses which were crumbly, falling structures, usually under some legal inheritance dispute. One such building near my house now houses the Central Excise office. The watchman still contends that he hears muffled blows from the basement every night.

Kerala has her own home-grown brands of Yakshis Chathans,Odiyans.Years later I discovered that the Scandinavians have their own wilful spirit Odin which was defined and acted the same way as the Mallu Odiyan. My first knowledge of Yakshis was on the way to Trivandrum from Nagercoil. We had to cross Kalliyankaadu at midnight and our driver, a young man was petrified that the nocturnal, nefarious Yakshi- Kalliyankaattu Neeli, a jilted wife would claim him. Years later, these days, as an elderly man, he still quakes taking that route at night. So enduring, so haunting and so sad is her legend.

All said and done, when we take refuge in trivialising the realm of paranormal as bhoothams and peis, we are just wishing away our fear. They say that when a body is abruptly separated from its spirit, the negative energy lingers in the air there. The Trivandrum-Attingal highway is considered/revered as one such spot. A regular accident spot, drivers mumble many prayers when they drive past -day or night. Some even report that they hear low groans and whispres, enticing them to crash and cross tangible borders between being and non-being. That is scary.

I am no less a bhootham. My family and friends call me the cyber bhootham. I have a long list of loved ones on my Gmail chat list. And when I see the ball shining green next to them online, I cannot resist pinging them. It is irresistible.

I know my FB is longer than your leader post, but this is my reward since I rarely get to write a FB to your posts these days.

regards
    Vidya
    PS: Add 'aasai arakki' to the kaadal pisasu list.

4. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dea Cheeniya sir,

A superb write up on the peis, pisassu etc. Words are :hide: due to fear.

As a city born & bred, I do not have much exposure to these beings and do not really believe these exist. But my MIL is hell bent on making us believe that these things exist. And she will be narrating to my dd her experience in her childhood. She was from a remote village in Madurai where not much houses exist, whenever she used to get up in the middle of the night and see thru the window she could see a pei with a lighted torch walking in the distance.

Recently her brother's daughter had committed suicide by falling into the village well. After few months, here elder sister late in the night had crossed that area with jasmine flowers in her had. She used to claim that she the saw dead daughter's spirit. After this unholy darshan the sister didn't live long. My MIL strongly attributes her death to the sighting.

All said and done, I still argue with her saying that our mind is playing havoc and nothing else. Atleast to assure my kids so that they do not get frightened and hesitate to go into dark rooms and being alone etc.

But I would love to be a kadal pissasu with love overflowing for all.:tongue

5. Cheeniya

Dear Maya
    Thanks for joining the gang of pei admirers!
    The thought struck me that when there could be so many varieties of human beings, why should there not be an equal number of varieties of pei and shared my thought with all of you. I should admit that I am overwhelmed by the enthusiastic response. It only proves my belief that there is a pei in every one of us!
    That story about your sister's coverage of a murder was indeed hair raising. If I keep listening to such stories, there may be a redemption for my baldness.
    And thanks for all the appreciative words. They are the real fodder for my chewing mind!
    Sri

6. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Sure sir, I am waiting for a separate thread on the bard. In fact why don't you do an in depth research about his works which appealed to you most and post a thread here. I am sure it will be of interest to many. Would you please consider my request? And as usual it should be spiced with your humour otherwise it would be dry! Waiting eagerly for this post on my favourite poet cum playwright.
    Regards,
    Malathi

7. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    You NEVER disappoint me. In fact, your inputs to my threads are so valuable that I feel like switching my thread with your FB!

First things first. I worked in SBI trivandrum in 1966 and I can't agree with you more on your description of the haunted houses there. Some of the elderly people who lived in them used to be as scary as the spirits that were supposed to be haunting those houses. I remember that a famous drama troupe used to stage plays in the ground opposite the Fort and for want of better entertainment, I saw almost all the plays staged in the course of their 3 month camp there. Believe me the central theme of every other play was centered around some yakshini or other! It was then I realised the strong bond that existed between the Trivandrumites and the Yakshinis.

I lived in a house in a place called Palkulankara inside the Fort which belonged to a well known ivory merchant. The house next door was reported to be a haunted one with just a caretaker living there. Quite often, the lights of the house would be switched on for a little while at dead of night and if you asked the watchman what was he doing with all lights on at midnight, he would ask' Lights? What lights?'. In course of time, I became frightened of that watchman himself!

I have also observed a few spots on the highway which are considered accident prone. At some places, there would be a small muniswaran temple or a mosque and I have seen drivers stopping there to offer a coin or two in obeisance to the presiding deity.

It is not a question of believing or not believing in the existence of spirits but no one can deny the presence of negative vibes in places reported to be haunted!
    Sri
    PS: Aasai arakki reminds me of Soorpanaka!

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sri,

First of all all the best to your GS, for his exams....

I have seen people stopping near one small amman temple near old standard motors factory..to pray for safe journey...

on the way to central..there is one bodyguard muniswaran.....

9. Cheeniya

Dear Lalitha
    Your MIL's tryst with peis with lighted torches only goes to show that peis become visible only to the devout believers! But it is intriguing that they continue to use lighted torches(theevattis) when better gadgets of illumination are available. Even laser torches are availabe in Burma Bazaar here and I find them exciting. I am never tired of watching the light beam travelling any length without scattering. After watching it, I now tell my grandchildren that they must remain as focussed as a laser beam while studying!

The unfortnate incident of your MIL's niece and the aftermath thereof in which her aunt had to die made a poignant reading. As you say, it must all be due to the fear psychosis that acted on the victim. Having said that, it is not uncommon to refer to a resounding slap as pei aranja madiri. Even I have used that phrase though I never had any experience of pei arai!
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Malathi
    I'll surely comply with your request. I'll start squeezing what little is left of my grey cells and try to come up with my understanding of the Bard. Thanks a lot for suggesting this subject.
    Sri