1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A peep into the world of ghosts!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 2, 2008.

1. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

I have read many snippets of yours, but always held myself from posting comments lest I would say something that's not related to the topic which would prove that I didn't understand the deep knowledge you have shared due to the wide vocabulary. Whenever I start to type a reply to you I would get that nervousness of a student who just raised her hand at the end of the teacher's lecture, received the teacher's attention along with that of the 60 students, but only don't know what to say!

Now this post on Ghosts, is somewhat familiar topic to me, and you have said it in the language that I can easily understand : Movies!!

I am always afraid of speaking of ghosts, because I always fear that whatever you speak of ghosts in daylight will come and haunt you at night!! I have now chose to side step that fear and took the risk to tell you that, God Forbid, I haven't had any encounter with ghosts, or even no way close to that. May be those kind and mighty ghosts knew that I am not worth disturbing - like how the Paandiya Naatu mannan spared Imsai Arasan [Vadivelu] because he thought defeating a coward like Pulikesi is not actually a victory, but only a blackmark to his fame.

I can imagine how your Grand mother's conversation with ghosts, and how can everybody see something that you can't, horrified you and your family. It reminded me of one scary incident - which later turned funny- my friend shared with us. He had to live alone in a big house when all his roommates went to their home for holidays. That night he had this feeling that he was not alone, and wherever he went inside the home he was being followed. At the back of his neck he can feel the warm breathe every now and then, even when he climbed the stairs. He didn't know what to do, he can't sleep or just sit idle. So he decided to tire the ghost, so he kept walking room to room, all the while [not even a minute break] he had the constant feeling. Long after midnight, sometime near to dawn he was exhausted and yelled "Nee Dhairiyamaana pei-a irundha, En moonjiku munnaadi vaa pappOm! " [Come face me if you dare!] . Then he turned back and started walking, to his surprise he didnt have the 'someone -breathing - behind' feeling. So he assumed that he is chasing the ghost now, and hence he walked - room to room - with the sense of victory, until dawn.

Next day he slept like a log, all tired of 'chasing' and 'being chased'! We all laughed hysterically imagining his punch dialogue, and his chasing scenes, but in nights when I have to stay alone this story unavoidably occupies my mind and I would stare at the empty space fearing somone would enter, and would listen keenly for some chiming from ankle-chain. I would remember the scary scenes from horror movies, and I wouldn't stand long in front of the mirror lest the ghost would get frustrated and appear behind me;

From the movie 6th Sense I learned that Ghosts wont just come to you to take revenge, but also to get help from you. I would think of myself in that place, what if that happens to me? Its huge responsibility, I mean I am very busy, I can't get off from work if the ghost wants me to go to someplace to claim his thing, what if the current possessor wont let go of the thing? Now will the ghost punish them or me for not being feisty. If the ghost can punish them, it can very well go to them directly in the first place, why bother me. What about the travel expenses? With these chain of thoughts I would manage to stay awake till dawn.

I enjoyed reading this post Sir. You are very funny, the characteristics of 'Pei' and 'Aavi' according to tamil cinema is hilarious. :) Hope I didn't bore you with this long reply..

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear ILT
    For Heaven’s sake, don’t put me on a pedestal like that! If everyone is going to feel like you do, I’ll end up with zero response for my Ramblings and I may have to wind up my shop here! Coming to my ‘wide vocabulary’, I must tell you that I have never won a scrabble in my life! It is said that a normal man’s vocabulary is around 40000 to 60000 words though he uses just half of them in his normal conversation. Mine could be much less actually judging by my wife’s criticism that I keep on repeating whatever I have come to say! That could be a clear indication of a woeful lack of words in my mental cupboard!

If ghosts have a tendency to haunt at nights those who keep discussing them during daytime, the best thing would be to sleep during the day and discuss about ghosts at nights. What is most important is to embellish our ‘ghost’ discussions with appropriate sound effects and body language as Nagesh does with his dad TS Balia in ‘Kadalikka Neramillai’. Ghosts are serious matters. We cannot discuss them like we discuss Mil-Dil problems. You are wrong in your diagnosis of why ghosts don’t disturb you. Knowing them as I do, I can tell you that they are like Parthiban. They have a special fascination for the likes of Vadivelu to poke fun at. And why not? They spend all their life hanging upside down from Tamarind trees with no scope for any light-hearted moments. Their sense of humour may be weird but with a proper perspective, we can surely find it acceptable. Their preference for old ladies is due to the fact that they are as bored as the ghosts and can be good material for partnering in eerie dramas!

I too have heard of several episodes of ghosts developing cold feet. You may ask me how they can develop cold feet if their feet are invisible. You may take it as cold ‘something’ that is the bottom most portion of the apparition. Generally the men who can scare the wits out of the ghosts are the hen-pecked husbands who never get a chance to raise their voice against their wives. With all their pent up emotion reaching an explosive point, they find a ghost a fit substitute for their wives and go after them like Bruce Lee!

The ghosts who come to you for help can only be the ‘Boothams’. Because of their over sized bodies, boothams cannot do anything for themselves and are constantly on the lookout for gullible folks to carry out their jobs. There are a few exceptions like the ‘Pattinathil Bootham’ who come to help you with crazy offers.
    Sri

2 people like this.