1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A noisier route to salvation!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,

What a great thread and all the FB.... Nowadays, I find it interesting to come late... so that I can see all the great FBs.... Ofcourse with all the Ch's creating the waves..... Great... Enjoyed it....

When we travel, we can see in the railway stations or the International airports.... Inspite of all the noises created by the chitchat of the people, announcements from the speakers.... You can see people sleeping peacefully.... They are not disturbed because of the noise levels... They are happy sleeping....

I have read about the Zen monks story earlier... In my room now.... my room mates will be watching the TV, blaring... But when I feel sleepy, I will go to sleep peacefully... My room mates will ask me how can you sleep with all this sound....

I always felt it is the mind set up... If you fine tune your mind... then you can achieve the results.... If you keep thinking of the noise and disturbance instead of inner peace.... then you will never ever achieve....

I always enjoy around friends and crowd with lots of noise..... BTW.... What is salvation.....??? May GOD bless me....

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Veda
    People who can sleep peacefully with a lot of noise around them are indeed a blessed lot. Most of us stipulate a lot of conditions for sleeping. There should be no noise, no light, no mosquito bites, good air circulation and so on. Some can sleep without any of these conditions fulfilled. They amaze me. Vidya had also spoken about a child sleeping peacefully in the din of an African church. Children have a greater tolerance to noise and light. As we grow older we need ideal conditions for sleep that may vary from person to person depending upon the surroundings in which he grew. As it is going to be increasingly difficult to have a noise-free surrounding, it is better that children are not brought up in a hush-hush atmosphere! There is a cough syrup ad doing the rounds on TV now. The young dad returning from office wants to make a beeline to his sleeping child and the mother pleads with him with folded hands not to disturb the child. Father defies and goes to fondle the baby but his coughing wakes up the child!

I thank you for asking me what is salvation which has enabled me to add a new word to my vocabulary. The study of salvation is called Soteriology! I was amazed to see that there were 31 million websites on salvation! We can understand it through simple words like Moksham or Mukthi!
    Sri

3. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,

Thanks.... I have not seen the Ad... Now let me take AC's job....

Our Chitvish tells that there is no death for Athma.... It is only the anathma or the external body dies.... The Athma goes from one body to the other.... Then where is the Mukthi or Moksham.... In my understanding of Mukthi or moksham is end of the journey for Athma....

Now the question comes.... If there is nothing called Mukthi or Moksham or end for the journey of Athma.... then why should we keep striving to achieve it.... Why should we do thapas, etc etc to attain mukthi....

Are we trying to achieve or attain something which is not there.... Is that what we are talking about....

We in this materialistic world run after money... We forget that we need to enjoy or be happy with what we have... But on the contrary, we try to save it, with out really using that money and enjoying the life, for our kids etc...

Is this salvation is something like that... We forget to enjoy the existing life and try to catch something which is non existant.....

I know I am deviating from the lead post.... But trying to understand the salvation.

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Veda,
    Trust you, the naughty boy of IL !tsk
    When I read in Sri's post, " the simple words like moksham or mukthi", I was 200 % sure, you will come up with a query like this !!:idea
    You have not "belied" my hopes .
    Unlike me who always takes you by the confusion route (bonk), I am sure Sri, with his infinite sagacity will explain to you, in simple words.
    I am eagerly waiting to know Sri's route to salvation.:mrgreen:
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. Cheeniya

Dear Veda
    The moment I read this post of yours, I set about finding a correct answer. I read passages from my favourite book,'The Perennial Philosophy' by Aldous Huxley. I browsed through websites on subjects relating to the question you have raised including interpretations of Baja Govindham of Adi Sankara.

Suddenly I realised that I should tell you only what I know and not what I read. Knowledge does not come from what we read but only from what we contemplate and comprehend. Further, I realised that I should tell you only what I can practise and not the ideal thing to practise.

All I know is that salvation is the cessation of the cycle of birth and death when we do not have to be born again to expend our Karma. Your saying "We forget to enjoy the existing life and try to catch something which is non existant....." can not be negated as long as we think that the life that we are going through is real. There is an inherent risk in 'enjoying the existing life' in the sense that in the process we may be adding to the Karmic Account.

I wish I could enlighten you more on the subject of Salvation but it will be only like the blind leading the blind. Like you, I am also a seeker of Light but still groping in utter darkness!
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    Haven't you heard of Kambar's famous line 'Kandavar vindilar; vindavar kandilar'? Unfortunately, I am neither a 'Kandavar' nor a 'Vindavar'! I must first learn to experience 'it' before opening my mouth about it. Presently, I am contemplating on the correctness of the route that I have pursued for 65 years and am not sure if I am on the right track!
    Having said all this, I have really no desire to beat the cycle of birth and death if it is going to be as good as this one!:)
    Sri

7. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Chitvish,

I know, I am naughty….. hahahahaha…. When I get a chance why should I leave it… Actually, I wanted to make it on the lighter side of it… But it went off as a serious FB… How can you ever say that you are confusing… your way of presentation and explanation is great… If I am not able to understand, I am the Buddhu…bonkbonkbonk....

Now you said Atma doesn’t have an end… Then can we say Salvation is the end of the karma mingled with our ksukhama sarira… that we wipe out all our Karma… If I am asking a stupid question sorry!!!!!!!!..........:coffee.

8. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

[=quote]All I know is that salvation is the cessation of the cycle of birth and death when we do not have to be born again to expend our Karma. Your saying "We forget to enjoy the existing life and try to catch something which is non existant....." can not be negated as long as we think that the life that we are going through is real. There is an inherent risk in 'enjoying the existing life' in the sense that in the process we may be adding to the Karmic Account.

I wish I could enlighten you more on the subject of Salvation but it will be only like the blind leading the blind. Like you, I am also a seeker of Light but still groping in utter darkness!
    Sri[/quote]

Dear Sri,

Thanx for taking sincere efforts in trying to explain me... It reminds me of Ramakrishna Paramahamsa.... Who taught to the world that, we should preach what we practice... Great...

Thanks once again....

9. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Dear Sir,

I am a late feedbacker since I read this post only now. Apologies :(
    I agree with you that noise brings its own 'peace of mind' and especially in temples, chanting of mantras and the 'noise' of bells adds to the spiritual ambience, which can be quite refreshing indeed.

Personally, I prefer to live in a slightly noisy environment compared to total quietness. The occasional sound of a human voice or a car on the road or music from a neighbour's flat or that of a train, is very much welcome by me. This makes me feel reassured that I am not in some far away jungle and that am very much 'in' civilization, amidst normal human beings :))

Interestingly enough, my colleagues here in UK tell me that they feel more secure when they live in quietness in far away houses, compared to the noise and din of a crowded locality. Very strange 'cos at least as far as I know, in India, we prefer lively residential areas to living in too quiet outskirts..

Thanks and love
    Pavithra

10. Cheeniya

Dear Pavithra
    Once someone asked the late Shri. S.A.P.Annamalai, Editor, Kumudam whether the noiseless form of worship would suit Hinduism,and his answer was an emphatic NO! He said that Hindus believed in the Omkara sound being the cause of the birth of the Universe. What the westerners called the Big Bang Theory was nothing but our 'Omkara', according to him. So it is no surprise that noise takes us nearer Him than silence!

As you say, a little noise is certainly reassuring. I know people who can not sleep in absolutely silent ambience. They will need at least the noise of a running fan! I feel quiet at home in the midst of a lot of din!
    Sri