1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A new tactics to lure customers and promote sales

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Jan 10, 2013.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

During Diwali time we received two gift vouchers from ICICI Bank . They were from Satya Paul their alliance partner. This was the first time I came to know about this branded designer wear shop.

Hi Hi, I only used to go to our T.Nagar and Anna Nagar shops for buying sarees. :hide: This shop is located at Express and Ampa Mall .

We went to the shop at Ampa Mall with our daughter and told the sales person that we got two gift vouchers of their shop one for Rs 1000 and one for Rs 2000. We were already told by the bank manager that the two vouchers could not be clubbed together.

Voucher could be used only for specific items mentioned on each gift voucher. The salesman told for the 1000 Rs voucher we can go for wallets or clutches. So we looked for hand bags and the salesman told us that at least we should pick up handbag valuing Rs 1700 and we can pay Rs 700 and use the 1000 Rs gift voucher. For the 2000 Rs voucher we should at least take an item valuing Rs 3500. So we have to shed 2200 in all if we wanted to use the gift vouchers. The bags they kept in the show room could be purchased for lesser price in other shops. We just wasted our time and petrol .

Perhaps this is a new strategy to lure customers and promote sales. I normally buy things which I need. Anyway I thought of buying using the gift voucher to give it as a gift to someone. If I have to pay so much for the gift voucher at least I can go to a shop where I can choose a thing to my liking.
    This was the first time I had this experience. Perhaps many of our IL members might have had experience like this.

You can share your experience here.

8 people like this.

2. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Yes. And this happens quite frequently with private banks and credit cards. I once liked and ordered a glass painting with a small clock in it and paid Rs. 500-/- [online] using the gift voucher for Rs. 1000-/-. I got the clock delivered after almost 40 days and that was broken too. I found that it was not worthy at all [the picture they showed in the site was miles away from what it was really]. I complained and got a response stating its not their mistake. Only we have to be careful these days. Thanks for sharing, Madam. -rgs

1 person likes this.
  3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

These gift vouchers carry a small print which is not visible at the first sight. Only experience teaches us. Once I was travelling from Hyderabad to Trivandrum. It was supposed to be a direct flight..Pramount airways. For some reasons not known they made it via Chennai and we had to change an air craft at Chennai two hours later. The airlines give us vouchers for eating in the canteen at airport in the waiting period. I showed the canteen people the voucher and asked for something that I wanted to eat. He told I would have to buy it...free vouchers are only for samosas (which were cold and greasy and I didn't like the look of them). So I paid money to buy which I wanted to eat.

Syamala

4 people like this.
  4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear rgs,
    Thanks for the prompt fb.
    In stead of giving it as a gift voucher at least they should have given it as a discount coupon. Previously ICICI bank used to pay cash for our credit points.
    PS

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Shyamala,
    After reading the fine print and all only we went to the shop. NO where it was mentioned that we have to purchase to so mount amount to use the gift voucher.
    Thank God! Once while returning from US our connecting flight was delayed for a day and they have accommodated us in a hotel and also provided free food.
    We have to read the fine print with a magnifying glass when we get offers from travel agencies and bank credit and debit cards.
    Thanks for sharing your experience.
    PS

6. sasirekamsc83

sasirekamsc83 Silver IL'ite

Thank God... I have the experience of getting gift vouchers often as compliment from the company where my hubby works. The voucher is from BigBazaar for an amount of Rs.4000. We can buy things which are mentioned in that voucher. We went to BB and bought things and no one told to buy anything else other than we want to buy...:thumbsup

7. BHAVNAM6

BHAVNAM6 Platinum IL'ite

My dear Pushpavalli,

Oh...so this kind of misleading tact are very very common in USA. The biggest culprit is fine print in any kind of offer which is difficult to read and easy to be skipped by us.That is the way they catch us.

Love,
    Bhavna

8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Pushpavalli my dear
    This happens a lot everywhere. Nowadays when I hear the shops name itself I know the price ranges involved and forego that trip itself.. haha..
    It does not make much sense for us to buy a belt or buckle we do not need and just so we can use that voucher and then we pay more to cover the extra!
    I think these vouchers are useful for those people who shop in these outlets. Anyways they are shopping there irrespective of the prices and they might or not have the voucher. This way atleast they get to use it.
    When I have been in similar situations i usually stand near the payment counter and ask other customers if they need it. The ones I get do not have names so anyone can use that discount towards their purchases.
    Or I give it to the sales girl and tell her to give it to someone who might need. This way atleast the voucher will get used !
    hugs
    Chitra :)

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sasireka, Bhavna and Chitra,
    Thanks for sharing your views and experience on this matter. I believe discount coupons, gift vouchers and heavy reduction sale are all only for luring customers and to dispose off unsold things which are lying in the shops for a long time.
    PS

10. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pushpavalli,

A genuine grievance against those who gave the gift vouchers. I presume the Branch Manager of ICICI who gave this voucher did so in return for the favour of a business given by you to him.

Probably you should bring this constraint to his notice. You may suggest to him that in future he should choose those gift vouchers which have got the least strings attached.

I appreciate your judgement in not spending Rs 3500/- to encash a Rs3000/- Gift voucher. You may present it to a high flying Newly weds!

1 person likes this.