1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A New Era Of What We Hear!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rith, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

Being the dhanur month which is considered to be auspicious, there were nostalgic memories of bhajan songs being the alarm those good old days. Those songs were played by those neighbors; their voice audible enough to wake up the entire street.

In those good olden days, the maximum names that we hear is Rama, Seetha, Lakshmi, Ganesa, Muruga, Eswara, Sankara. I was told that the reason behind keeping the names of God for the kids is adding good deed (Punya) by calling the lord names each time.

You should be wondering by now what I am trying to convey. Well! I am writing this, as a song lyric is haunting me all the time, when I wake up from my bed, when I chant prayers, when I work, when I play with my kids; all the time the first word of the song is not going away from me.

Instead of suprabhadham this lyric is what I am humming everytime.

“Maranam, mass maranam;

Tough tharanum”

Maranam meaning death here.

This is the latest song of tamil super star Rajinikanth which is being played in all FM station, TV music channels and what not.

The song which we hear most, which attracts us most are what we hum whenever we want to. All these days I never concentrated on what I am humming. Because it was the combination of several songs.

The time during my music class, I hum what I learnt the previous day. My music teacher takes the same keerthana for several days till we are 100% perfect in that.

So several keerthana and few movie songs were in my casual hum list for good long years till kids rhymes occupied our life. I still remember my colleagues made fun of me when I hum rhymes during work hours. Even that didn’t impact me much as this latest movie did to me.

For the past one week I am humming this “maranam” then realize what I am doing, more than that where I am doing.

While making my little one bath

While feeding meals to my little one

While drawing rangoli in Pooja room

While cooking

While bathing

I became utmost tensed when I was humming this while standing in queue waiting for perumal dharshan in Thirupathi.

You become what you think

You think what you hear”

How true are the words of Swami Vivekananda. Around 15 years back, the loudspeakers emit only devotional songs. Even during marriages the dominancy of light music was very less. My grandma chanted suprabhadham and sahasranamam. I have seen my mom chants some mantras while cooking. It is not like the entire era was completely devotional. But what the young age exposed to was not to cinemas this extent. I was brought up in such a way not use bad terms as some angels were flying around me chanting thadhasthu (granting as you say) all day. No curse, no bad words.

I am getting a small jerk while singing this song like what if those fairy angels chant “thadhasthu” when I utter that particular word of that song. Funny though!

I am finding it funny when my elder one sings this song with mild steps. I have never felt anything haunting me this much and regret for what I hum.

The impact of music, their lyrics and the number of time we are exposed to those songs during our entire day; are they impacting us in anyways? Have you too experienced such scenarios?

Maranam massu maranam…

Oh my my…

Hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare

pumpkin01, umaakumar, jskls and 9 others like this.

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Nice snippet and true too!
    I can understand your annoyance when such lyrics stay with us throughout the day and we suddenly become aware of repeating the words.

I think they do impact us.
    Sometimes when I hear some film songs I wonder what has the world gotten to, and sometimes I am glad I don't understand the words.

Every time I hear such songs I quickly shut off the music and start singing, "Sri Rama Sri Rama, Sri Manoharama..." (Ragam: Sahana)
    I feel I am absolved from the sin of listening to these negative songs and also it helps me move to other pleasant songs.

The latest film song I like is "Neela Malaicharal"...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Rith, jskls and satchitananda like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@Rith

Sometimes, a specific tune gets struck in our mind often. Music has the ability to penetrate deep into our mind. A few years back I heard a Telugu Bhajan in You Tube and you won't believe I got obsessed with it and kept singing the unknown language for a long period of time. Finally, I reached out to my friend who translated it for me and after knowing the meaning of the Bhajan, the humming became much more intense.

I do hum cine songs as well but it depends on what song was playing in the television watched by my MIL or my wife's phone sings in the car. I notice that the music has a powerful impact in our memories. When I was a child, I used to wake up to Margazhi Masam early morning loud speakers in our Town. One such song I learned from that loud speaker is "Karpagha Vallinin porpadhangal pannindu".

Viswa

jskls and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:that Ananda bhiravi has telling effect on me too as I heard it being sung by my Leyland Ramadan as prayer song in MIT CULTURALS and other academic seminars. There was one lanky fair complexioned lady student the one and the only one doing electronics in MIT NAMED karpagam tried to sing along with Ramanan
    2. Another of my favorites Dhikshitar "kanjadhalaya Dakshi Sri kamakshi kamala manohari in the rag kamala manohari. You may love to listen to this rendering in utube by mambalam sisters with lyrics or Padmashri Suda Raghunathan. Best time to listen early morning or just at dusk.
    Regards.
    God Bless gifted singers.

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

:hello:kudos to your haunting thread on tunes that turn transport one to a particular situation or event or circumstance or occasion. You have shown the ability to compose a thesis in a compact thread post.
    2. Music haunts hovering around as played in my pocket transporter still in working condition from our kitchen. It is my duty to keep ready decoction and with its flavour I enjoy particular songs in u tube .
    3. Lilting power of music is easily felt not only by me but other members of family as we all music lovers.
    4. Ullathil nalla vullum song from karnan in charming ragam ...chakravagam &
    "olimayamana edhirkalam" from pacchai vilakku with whistling -are the songs haunting me since 5 decades almost daily.
    Thanks and regards.
    God Bless lovers of sa ri ga ma pa arohanam and pa ma ga ri sa.

6. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Congrats for being nominated. I also have experienced the same. When I go for bajans the song sung there is in my mind. But sometimes when unwanted songs come in my mind I get irritated.

jskls and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Thyagarajan

:hello:to avoid being irritated - mood swing - due to unlikable song aired, try singing the lines of the tune you loved much.
    Regards.
    God loves all songs melodious and the one lilts:hello:.

Rith and iyerviji like this.
  8. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rith,

Songs are part of my life and I can't think my day without listening songs. If I like any song means I like that particular one along with lyric and music. I have started to collect my favorite songs from my childhood. I download my favorite songs and store them in CDs,phone and Ipod. All my favorite songs are devotional and melodies. My kids say they are lullabies and that is true.

Listening to devotional songs give me peace of mind and melodies make cheer me up all the time.:)

Rith and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

:hello:Music lovers in general and lovers of Carnatic RAGAS must be sailing in your boat. Me too.
    Thanks and REGARDS .

Rith and Mistt like this.
  10. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

just curious to know what's that song

Rith likes this.