1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Nail Biting Travel

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by lakshmi1945, Aug 22, 2014.

1. lakshmi1945

lakshmi1945 Silver IL'ite

Yesterday we got on a flight headed to Boston. The flight lasted for nearly six hours long; luckily I had a book with me but my concentration was held elsewhere. My distraction? A boy, biting his nails. Now, this might not seem like an extraordinary sight, seeing as this is a common human tendency. However, his biting didn't seem to cease. The boy was about eighteen, casually browsing through his iPad. I watched in anticipation, hopelessly waiting to see whether or not he would give his poor hands a break. My astonishment only increased further as he would stop only to look at his nails and switch fingers. At this rate, he wouldn't have any nails by the end of the flight. My husband suggested that the boy was suffering from a nervous disorder, and a neurologist or a physcatrist's opinion was necessary to help him. I have heard of "Nail-Biting Finish" but never in my entire life have I seen someone chow down on the ends of their fingers without so much as an interruption. Watching him brought back memories to the struggle I had to rid my youngest son's habit of the ever-so-common "Thumb Sucking" habit that most young children develop. Maybe the nail biting is an extension of childhood finger sucking?

-Lakshmi Gopalan