1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Morning Ride

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, May 27, 2023.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Days come, days go. Some days are mundane, others start out giving us plenty of food for thought. And so it was...I booked an auto to go to work today. It was a mega long day as no other in quite a few years (pulled an "all dayer" - well, why can't we say that if we can say "all nighter"? - at work, a 7 am to 9 pm shift and feeling proud of myself for still being able to do this, or rather once again being able to do this even if it's a one off!). Well, to come back to the point, I got into the auto. He started off by saying it was his "boni" (the first business of the day), so he wanted cash to be transferred directly to him instead of through Ola. He was willing to cancel the ride. So i agreed to pay him directly.

"Don't you lose money if you cancel a ride?" asked the curious me.
    "We do lose Rs. 15/- but to start off the day with no cash is difficult. It is boni time, you see!"

I felt around for my pen-drive in my bag. Was missing. Oh *****, I had forgotten it home. I asked if he'd turn around and take me back home. He did so without any second thoughts. I got off at the gate and was just entering, when I suddenly remembered it was in my mobile pouch around my neck!!! D***. Anyway, got back into the rick and set off again. Driver was amused. I was not. There was a dhoti wound around the top bar and held in place by the canvas on top. There was a crumpled dhoti hanging between the driver's cabin and the passengers' like a half curtain. Yet another was hanging over the right exit. This only added to my irritation."

"Yeh kya sabhi kapde taang ke rakhe hain?" I asked.
    "Yahi ghar hai, yahi kaam bhi karta hoon" he said.
    "Kyon, ghar nahin hai kya?"
    "Nahin."

Curiosity got the better of me and I did something I never usually do.

"Maa-Baap, beewi, bacche sab kahaan hai?"
    "Maa-Baap kab ke chale gaye. Shaadi nahin kee."

I kicked myself for asking - what business did I have being so curious?

I kept silent. After a while he opened up. The story he told was strange.

"Ek ladki dekhi thi. Bahut moti thi", he said.

"
    Accha? Agar patli ladki ke saath shaadi karte, toh kya guarantee hai, ke woh baad mein nahin moti hoti?"

He bid me to listen to the full story. Apparently he took to have a masala dosa and the next question she asked was, "Tum mere liye kitna doge?" He informed me that besides the mandatory bride price that is paid at the time of the nuptials in their community, girls demand a lot of money and this one wanted 2 lakhs. "Where could I get that money?" he asked. "And if now she is asking so much, God knows what she will ask for later." I did not say anything. While I felt sad for the guy, a part of me could not help thinking of the motivation behind girls demanding money, considering the uncertain future they might face in the future. I remained silent.

What a strange business this marriage is! Some communities demand money to marry the girl and then take the girl away with the money. Others pay money to get a wife and then baulk at how much the girls demand. Is this what marriage was meant to be? What is so 'holy' about such a union? It is the crassest of human trade I can think of. Or maybe it was meant to be a financial transaction, given what I have heard of marriages between uncles and nieces, children of brother and sister being married as a system of 'keeping the money in the family'.

Humans, their complicated societies and institutions - all I know is we are all fit for institutions!

Anyway, as I got off, I did something I don't normally do. Paid him extra without his asking for it. Maybe because he did not demand anything extra. To add to it, as I thanked him while getting out, "Bless you" he said. Not something any autorickshaw walla has ever said to me so far!!!

Last edited: May 27, 2023

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Five 'Likes' but remains unresponded!
    Such original writing only a few can be capable of. Satchi is one of our stars. We have already lost one classic writer, OJ, who became disheartened because there were no takers for his classic blogs. People who give,'Like' to a thread or a response must endeavour to write a few lines on whatever that made them give a 'Like'
    Be more proactive my dear ILites! That way you can help this wonderful community grow in international stature! :blush:

3. satchitananda

Thank you very much Cheeniya sir. Really appreciate it.

Thyagarajan and Cheeniya like this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Satchi

Nice write up. All your posts are worthy to be nominated. Now a days I don't give response much but if I find super posts I nominate. This also I am going to nominate. I am not so good in giving responses

5. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Satchi,

A very relevant post actually. Just yesterday my colleague and I were discussing about this. This guy is actually 'in the market' for a bride since a decade. He is a very genuine guy, a good person and very helpful and respectful towards ladies. Having worked with him for around 15 years now, i can personally vouch for that.

Anyway, during the early years, he was 'rejected' coz he didnt have any property attached to his name. Around 6 years ago, he got a nice independent house for around a crore. Now he has property, he has a car, a decent salary, a good job, parents are not so strict or anything. He has no caste issue, it doesnt mater to him if the girl eats non-veg (he is a vegetarian), he is ok looking after her parents, no demand for dowry.

Now he is rejected coz the girls feel he is old, he is around 36 now. and apparently with the IT boom, the girls seem to earn a lot and they want an equally well settled guy without any loans.

This is making me wonder what is it that society needs? A guy in 20's will definitely not be in a position to own a house and a car. A guy in thirties might have all that but is now treated as 'too old' for anything now. It is such a sad state of affairs. Marriages these days are very commercial. Or maybe marriages has always been commercial.

6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Kudos to @satchitananda a simple auto ride in the rush hour has resulted in thinking about a society in which marriage is quizzical.

Money assets and liabilities of a family and brides or and groom determines the marriage. Few elopes. Many arranged or love marriage ended up chaotic. Many muslims disguised as "hindu" love-marry hindu-girl and desert or eliminate her if she fail to change her religion to muslim. In Hyderabad a muslim family offers if a boy marries one of their daughters another one is free !

This reminds me of the dilemma:
    When i had lot of leisure and youth, i had no money so no marriage. When i had money and youth, i had no leisure -time- to marry. When i had lots of money and leisure, i had turned old devoid of energy to marry!

I think of old Dr Bali - lucky man married at old age rich actress. ( but no kid)
    I think of actor Dharmendra who could afford to marry another rich lady while first wife permitted. ( kid is isha)
    But think of saint Viswamitra. His meditation disturbed and he had fallen second time for celestial dancer Menaka. No money no youth no power!

upload_2023-6-2_11-3-41.jpeg
    Raji akka is in perambur . She is uber auto s well picks up women passengers in the night and safely reaches them home. She used to have a pouch full of small changes ( like in Mumbai suburb auto drivers) and collects only charges as meter and refuse to take bakshis. Another pouch full of milaka podi - mirchi powder to use in self defence!

The world at least majority of it, looking for aggregate convenience and comfort in marriage first. Later Love too blossoms quickly between two only in offices where they get to know each other full-well financially first! A day is not far off when a lab test would be conducted to determine compatibility of a boy and girl to get hooked up. Probationary period class would be introduced in terms and a pilot sample clause too could be added .

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    satchitananda likes this.
  7. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear Ma'am,
    Wonderful writing.
    Now a days getting married is not so easy. Girls and boys have great expectations. At times even if the girl and boy are ok, the parents are not ok. I have a relative touching 40, earning well, but not married. The reason most of the girls had, was that he is a the only Son. His father passed away when he was small. His mother lives with him.
    Girls say they want to be independent. Where will the lady go. This guy has decided to stay single.

Regards
    Uma

satchitananda and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

In the yore of days, our grand mothers used to get married for food, money & shelter. Our mothers get married for “ for the happily everafter”. Our daughters need their own purse or wallet, roof & v——————. Feminism is making sure marriage doesn’t break our daughters. (quote from Farida D)

9. satchitananda

That is really sweet of you, Vijima! Thank you very much.

Thyagarajan and iyerviji like this.
  10. satchitananda

Thanks a lot, beautifullife for the feedback. 36 for a man is certainly not 'on the shelf' for men today. There are plenty of women who are 30+ who are still not married. The entire system seems to be totally warped today.

Yes, I think marriages have always revolved around money and property. Isn't that why the custom of cousins or mamas and nieces getting married was ever in vogue. It makes no biological sense whatsoever, but what was of importance was 'keeping the wealth / money / property inside the family!' Is it any surprise if there are so many unhappy marriages, when that is the fundamental consideration for marriage?