1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A miracle or a coincidence!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Shanvy, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

It was so dark, with the street lights definitely playing hide and seek and the road having such big puddles after the recent rains.

Walking back after refilling my prescription from the medical shop, I was in a hurry to reach home as I had to yet serve dinner to the kids and FIL. I was running late

I just looked ahead and saw, a lady stopping her scooter and helping her daughter down. I suppose they were coming back from some class, could guess it with the kid having a bag. She was checking it again…

The lady did try to start her scooter, but it did not budge. After a few minutes of thinking, I suppose she came to a decision and she started pushing the scooter down the road. I was just a few meters far from them. The kiddo was trying not to slip on the road while pushing the scooter from behind. The mom was asking her to walk next to her, as it was dark.

I could understand the mom’s protective instinct., but that’s not the point I want to make.
    They walked for sometime, making jokes, and the girl prancing here and there on the road, and the mother just admonishing the girl not to run around and to be careful, it is a busy yet not so busy road. by then I was walking alongside them. I saw the girl to be around 6 years maximum.

Suddenly the girl said “Mom, why don’t you try to start the scooter again”
    The mother told her she knows that it will not work.
    The girl said “I have prayed to God (actually the whole thing was in tamil. and the girl says naan pillayarai nanna vendindean ma, ) and I am sure he will help us, do try once again..”
    The mother replied “ok I will try once again..” she tried just to satisfy the daughter and it did start, and she said, “say thanks to pillayar (ganesha) and tomorrow go and tell him again” , let us get it checked at the mechanic shop (a few mts ahead) before going home.

Though many of you may think that there would not have been much of a problem to begin with, and could give me a list of issues and check list, I am not into the crux of the issue with the scooter.

the pillaiyar is the main deity of the temple I referred to in . Am I beautiful aunty The realization is about the faith the little one had on the pillaiyar. I did not know if she really knew how to pray, what she prayed but her faith is what gave me the reverberation of what I had written in the tango of faith and hope.

Why is that many of us lose our faith in things, the moment we come across a failure.

Was it a miracle or a coincidence.? I am still pondering, as I believe in both.

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanthi,

It's neither. Neither a miracle nor a coincidence. From God's and child's point of view, it's just business as usual. The child took the liberty of asking God and God answered.

It may be surprising for you to read this comment that only five days ago I wrote against all the Phoolan Devi type of prayer. I'll surrender to you provided you save me types.

But while in distress, it is quite natural to call God and its quite natural for God to come to help. The problem becomes complicated only if the scooter had not started. If the girl had lost faith in Pillayar because of that, it would have been very sad.

As usual a great blog coming out a very simple incident.
    regards,
    sridhar

3. kavithavel

kavithavel Senior IL'ite

To add to that,
    yes not right to bargain, but the lil girl only asked for something , which she knew her friend could do for her, she hasn't told Pillayaar that she would offer something back to him, she rather thanked him for the rescue....Well, that is justified.
    A simple example...
    I tried breaking a coconut, I was unable to do, I called upon my DH to help me, he did it and I thanked him in turn.
    Justified , isn't it.
    Wonderful blog Shanthi.

Love,
    Kavitha.

4. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

mmmm not sure really. A coincidence probably. But then they also say that everything has been fixed already by somebody up there........

5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

lovely blog shan...so true, one loses faith after just one failure ... i think even kids should be(i learnt it only as an adult) taught that we are all destined for different things...but surely no harm can come from praying? maybe a miracle can happen? after all one lives on hope,no?so pray with full faith..if you dont get what you wished for learn to accept that too..

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Friends, i have been lax in coming back with feedbacks for this particular blog.

When i think about it, I wonder if there was a message for me here, to look at what it is about miracles and coincidence.

recently, I slipped in the kitchen, had a ligament tear, for me my DH being at home is no less than a miracle than a coincidence. if not i would have been left alone, waiting for some other miracle to send a guardian angel to help me out.

Though many may say it is just a coincidence I just can't agree more with Einsteins's quote more now than before.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sridhar,
    Thanks a lot for putting me through a prodding episode of thinking and analysing both through your fb to this blog and your blog.
    I sometimes, believe incidents like these happen for the very same thing.

Should I have thought more before going of on roller coaster of emotions and spilling it in a blog.
    The title of the blog should be changed to just coincidence??

A miracle according to many is a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency, and I feel that it was the faith of the girl that helped.

I think god teaches how to keep us believing. isn’t that all that is there to faith, miracles and beliefs.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Kavitha,

Thanks for gracing this blog.

I have read your beautiful explanations in Sridhar’s blogs and your attachment to kitta.
    I liked your drawing parallels’ with a breaking of a coconut but do you equate both. .
    I think that can be justified.

But I still wonder what the mechanic’s prognosis was.

I would share an experience. We were in Bahrain. Weekend routine, was dropping the kids at ISKCON, then shopping and so.. one day, we finished the shopping, and were sitting inside the car, clicked our seat belts, dh started the car, nothing happened, we were sure there wrong with the car, but the scary thing was the car doors could not be opened. Both of us were stuck inside. We did not get signal inside for a few minutes. We tried starting the car taking turns too…nothing happened. Luckily for us, when we could get a signal we called one of dh’s friend. And believe me it was silly, when he came and opened the door from the outside. The car started, there was nothing wrong with the car., those ten minutes. The friend coming and helping us can be justified. What do I call this. I still am deciphering

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Quite true. But I have read somewhere, though whether I completely accept that is a pov for another day "A coincidence is the miracle man does not give God credit for."

It again differs according to our beliefs.

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Mindi, faith is something that fails and gets resurrected with every incidence and coincidence When I first saw Eistein’s quote that I have,mentioned in #5, believe me it did not mean much until life taught me otherwise. I believe hope and faith result in miracles. Otherwise, we do not have people believing in the power of prayers

Nice to have you here with me, stressing on the fact that kids need to be taught about faith even in failing times.