1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A memorable trip to Koduvayur

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Feb 5, 2010.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

When we go in a group by train it is really enjoyable especially when you have people who are very friendly and fun loving. We were a group of 35 people 25 men and 10 women.

My husband's friend's marraige was on 3rd February and his friend had booked tickets for all of us. He also arranged for a bus from his place to the station.My brother in law brought the food for us, On 31st January we left from the friend's place at 10.00 a.m. The train left at the exact time. We all had a good chat for sometime. Luckily we were all in one compartment. Some were the Bridegroom's relatives and some were his father'sfriends. At lunch time we had Puliyodharai with Vefar and Dahi rice with pickle. Everyone enjoyed the lunch made by my brother in law. In the evening we had bhajan . With us the priest and his wife were also there. The priest was telling me Vijaya you know I only conducted your marriage. Night dinner we had chapathi, Potato curry and Dahi rice with pickle.

Next day by afternoon we reached Shoranur and the girl's side people had come to pick us. They had arranged a van to take us to Koduvayur. First time I was going to Koduvayur. We reached there by 2.30 p.m. and the Bridegroom's son told us , you all be ready we will go to Guruvayoor by the same van. we all took bath and had lunch. Some of us were so happy that we are getting a chance to go to Guruvayoor. I thought I wont be able to go as some of us were booked in a hotel in Palghat. But the Bridegroom's brother told me dont worry mami I will come and pick u up from the hotel, as I was the only person going from the hotel. So evening we all left for Guruvayur. We all enjoyed the trip by van by singing Bhajans on Lord Krishna. We had good darshan of Lord Krishna. I was very happy as I never thought I will get a chance to go to Guruvayur. Since my husband was tired he did not come to Guruvayur. Except me all others were staying in Koduvayur so I was worried how I will reach the hotel, though Bridegroom's brother had told me that he will reach me to the hotel and not to worry. First we all went to the hall and had dinner. After that luckily some more people were there to join me at the hotel, by the time we reached the hotel it was 11.15 pm.

Next day was vradham. We wanted to reach the hall in time for Vrdaham. The van had already come to pick us up and we all were ready but one friend was missing, noone knew where he disappeared. Finally he came and all of them bounced on him saying where were you its already time and the function would have started by now. Since he was a simple person, he told everyone sorry and luckily when we reached the place, they were just leaving for the hall with Nadaswaran. Surprisingly from the girl's side one of my friend from Bombay was also there and she was surprised to see me. Vradham function went well but the priest prolonged the function till 1 pm. We had lunch thereafter. Some of us who were staying in the hotel in Palghat left for the hotel . Evening again there was some confusion and again we thought we will be late for the Nichyathamboolam(Engagement) but luckily again we were in time. Since some of the relatives came suddenly me and my husband and one more friend vacated the hotel and shifted to a friend's place which was near the hall.

The marriage was grand with many people from Mulund. Some came only on the marriage day from Mulund, so they were all surprised to see us there. The Hall was a big one decorated nicely. Two hearts united and two families also united. The bridegroom does not have mother, so when he was tying the thali , his brother was crying thinking of his mother. The girl's name is Divya and the boy's name is Kannan. The girl looks cute and simple. They are four sisters and she is the second daughter. At 4 p.m. we had nilangu. The girl sang and song and invited the boy to come for Nilangu. Some ladies and gents sang during the nilangu.

Night during dinner the bride served payasam to everyone and they kept a candly in front of the plantain leaf. Its their ritual it seems. In olden days there was no current so they used to have dinner with candle light it seems. Then someone from the girl's side told us to dip the end of saree and end of dhoti in haldi water saying now we are all one family.

Everyday from 1st to 4th Februaru we had different kinds of food, first day afternoon a simple lunch with payasam, sambhar, rice and some vegetables and dahi rice with pickle, evening Jilebi, bonda etc, then night dinner , next day usual marriage food, in the night Parikkai pitla with Plantain curry, next day ie. yesterday Milagootal, vetha kuzambu, with pachadi and pulikachal and payasam.

While coming from Bombay one friend who had already fracture sometime back got hurt on the same place but luckily he could walk and after reaching Palghat we showed him to the Doctor and the Doctor said he is alright but yesterday again he was not well and the doctor has told him to put belt and take rest for six months. Luckily he reached home safely today. While coming we had lot of luggage from the boy's side and since the bridegroom, bride and the bridegroom's brother and his wife did not come with us , all of us took care of their father. We all got down at Thane and everyone somehow managed to take the luggage out of the station without climbing the bridge. There was a bus waiting for us to take us to our home and we all reached our destination.

While going we were 35 but while coming we were only 18 of us, many went to visit the temples and relatives. We had home cooked food only while going and coming and did not buyanything from out. We had the privilege of visiting Guruvayur and Mada Palli Kavu(our Kula Deivam) .

I am not so good in writing but still I wanted to share my happiness with you all. It was really a memorable trip

2. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Hi Viji
    Thats a lovely report of the wonderful trip you had. It felt as though i was part of your group !
    I have been to Guruvayoor but had not heard of Koduvayur.

Kerala weddings are beautiful,intimate and simple. It was interesting to read about the function called nilangu with the bride herself singing ! Candle light dinner on wedding day sounds so romantic, even if the candles given to you were not lighted !
    I felt a twinge when I read about the brother's tears remembering the mother.

Thank you for sharing your happy experience . Wishing Divya and Kannan a long and happy married life.

3. iyerviji

Dear Lakshmi

You have made my day by giving the first fb and such a lovely fb.
    Glad that you enjoyed the post. I will be having a good sleep today as I got the fb immediately after writing. Thanks dear .

I have written before also getting fbs I feel as if I had a feast or ate a foreign chocolate.

love
    viji

4. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Viji,

You brought back many memories of Palakkad, the elaborate rituals and ceremonies that have been more or less sidelined or omitted nowadays to make the wedding simple...

I was picturing every event as you wrote about them... Glad you had darshan of Lord Guruvayoorappan...

The items on the menu made my mouth water even at 11.30 PM!

It is such fun to go in a big group and bond with everyone, isn't it?

Lovely narration, Viji dear!

Love,
    Padma

PS: I had hoped to be the boni fb-er this time, Viji dear! Not to be, I see!!!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  5. iyerviji

Dear Padma

Getting an fb from you is a real pleasure for me as you are such a great writer. Glad to know you liked to give the first fb, whether first or second your presence itself is a pleasure for me. Glad to know you enjoyed the post and it brought you memories of Palakkad. Glad you liked the narration also. Trip to Guruvayur was a surprise and we had good darshan also so after taking a round again went to see the Lord.

love
    viji

6. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Dear Viji aunty,

I can imagine how excited you would have been on all those days. This reminds me of my good old school days when appa and amma used to take LTC and we have gone as a group to Guruvayur. We usually go with amma-appa's friends and their families. So it'll usually be a lot of fun.

We have gone to suruli falls, Trivandrum, Guruvayur that way. Amma packs food for onward journey and we usually have lunch and dinner there at someone's house pre-arranged. Guruvayur is one such sthalam that I can never forget in my life (my appa amma's wedding took place there).

Wow, marriage is fun anyways :) On top of everything the extravagant food hmmmm. I think I better stop here or I'll have to forcefully fly back to India to attend some wedding ;-) Its an interesting snippet aunty. It brings back all my childhood memories.

-Uma

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Viji,
    Nice to read your narration of the wedding alongwith the trip..it seems like I was with you.

Glad to note that you had darshan of Lord Guruvaayurappan and your kula deivam.
    Best wishes for the newly weds!

sriniketan

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  8. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Viji,

Train journeys are always fun when we go in a group and that too to attend a marriage. I am glad you had a nice time and were able to visit Guruvayur and other places too.

Your fine narration kindled many memories of train journeys that I have taken with family.

9. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Dear Viji Aunty,

Train journeys are so much fun and you had a group of 35 people...gosh I am just imagining what an atmosphere that would be. Singing & eating all the delicious food together.......you painted a lovely picture for me of the train journey. I wish I was part of it too as I love traveling by Train & I am a foodie lover. :biggrin2:

You wrote so beautifully Viji Aunty no need to say you are not good at writing. If the writer makes you feel that you are the part of the story then she/he is a good writer in my opinion. You did that & more. I could visualize all that you wrote about the marriage, rituals and the temple darshan.

It was a joy to read your post.

Love
    Jaya

10. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji,
    you have made me take part in all the incidents virtually, by your simple expressive writing!!With fun loving people accompanying us, the train journey becomes a memorable one. Your description add
    more fragrance to it. You have taken so much pain in giving us even the minute things. Food items are mouth watering. So happy to know that you have visited and had the darshan of " Lord krishna" Soon you will be blessed with a " Kutti Krishana" as a grandkid !!!! Enjoyed your write up!
    with love
    pad